DVDVR Message Board

AEW DYNAMITE- 1/18/2023!

DEAN

What an amazing two hours of pro wrestling!  It just flew by!  Bandido / Danielson was pretty fucking awesome.  I like Cage but after Danileson's match with Bandido, The Swoleverine being the next rung on American Dragon's ladder climb to greatness feels a bit anticlimactic.

KUSHIDA / Allin was an instant classic and I think that there needs to be a rematch once Darby's anti-inflammatory meds kick in and they KT Tape his shoulder back together.   That fucker is a goddamned suicidal maniac.  Khan must hold his breath during every spot.

I am not surprised that Toni and Saraya turned heel.  Women's division needs a bit of a shake-up.  It was getting a bit baby face heavy.  I personally would've put Willow over in that match as she could use a high profile victory to stay in the title contender discussion.  Toni Storm does not need wins to stay relevant; she's a former champ.  I'd also have Britt and Rebel stab Jamie Hayter in the back during a non-title match and turn Jamie into a face.  That is the only way that Britt will ever get booed for a heel move.  I think Jamie Hayter could stomp on a kitten and still get face pops.

OC vs. JL was by the book but still fun.  OC is the Dean Malenko of AEW holding the mid-card together with a belt that seems more important than it actually is.

RIP Jay Briscoe.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Did nobody else on the entire internet read the end of that Hangman/Renee segment as a CM Punk tease? Just a little bit?

I didn’t because Renee reminded him the company is All Elite Wrestling, and as soon as she said Elite it looked like a lightbulb went off over his head. Plus Hangman saying he needs to talk to some people seemed like an obvious hint he’s going to try to get back with Kenny and The Bucks. Which would make for a good team for Blood and Guts against Mox, Bryan, Claudio, and Wheeler. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I think we get Hayter turning on Britt and being part of an all-Brit trio with Sarasota and Toni, eventually leading to a Revolution match vs. Shida/Britt/Mercedes

You do know Toni Storm is Australian, not British, right?

Apparently TK and The Boys wanted to do an actual Jay Briscoe tribute episode, but Warner Bros said no.

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, elizium said:

I think Britt and Hayter don't officially turn, but stay popular tweeners. 3 way feud - Saraya/Storm v Willow/Ruby v Britt/Hayter with Shida as the chaos bringer...or maybe teams with the one person she trusts to be able to murder people....Serena Deeb

You know what gets Leonidas' nipples hard. That's a statement not a question, you know. Where is Deeb lately anyway?

Seconding the love for a prospective Bandido/Takeshita broadway. Then as a tag team, then as a trio with someone else against BCC, too much I want to see!

• Like 2

That Bandido/Dragon match was so so good.

I loved how they made every move feel "heavy", as if they were always trying to dead lift the other guy into arm drags, suplexes, holds, etc. THIS is how it should always be IMO, it just added so much. Some lovely stiffness in every kick too.

Have we ever had Bandido vs Hangman? I'm all for more Hangman/Bandido/Takeshita type of guys in every show please.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 7

It's almost too bad Daryby/Kushida had to take place the same week as Danielson/Bandido. I think it'd be getting more love on any other week. It's pretty cool that we're getting overlapping Danielson and Darby dream matches every week. Hmmmm. Maybe soon their paths will cross?

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Where is Deeb lately anyway?

Part of me flippantly wants to just answer "Tony got new toys/bigger stars so creative now has nothing for her", but she's agenting now, I think.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AxB said:

You do know Toni Storm is Australian, not British, right?

Apparently TK and The Boys wanted to do an actual Jay Briscoe tribute episode, but Warner Bros said no.

Preventing a memorial show for a wrestler based on some comments from a decade ago and then showing Dana White's Concussion Extravaganza is... about right for Warner, actually.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Preventing a memorial show for a wrestler based on some comments from a decade ago and then showing Dana White's Concussion Extravaganza is... about right for Warner, actually.

Please don't take this as a defense of Warner, but I'm wondering if it was less the old tweets and more that he never appeared on an AEW (Warner) show?

2 minutes ago, Log said:

Please don't take this as a defense of Warner, but I'm wondering if it was less the old tweets and more that he never appeared on an AEW (Warner) show?

Certainly possible, but if you believe the reporting the reason the Briscoes were never on AEW was because Warner execs wouldn't let them so it's a bit of circular logic.  Which, again, would be entirely in character for Warner.

It does seem like there was probably a "Get that ROH shit off our TV" meeting between WB and Khan at some point.

16 minutes ago, Log said:

I’d be surprised if most of the audience knew who Jay Briscoe was.  Unless casual fans really don’t exist and the AEW audience is almost entirely hardcore internet fans.  Which wouldn’t surprise me.

I’m a little skeptical of the “AEW wouldn’t allow it” thing until I see it backed up somewhere legitimate.  To be honest, I don’t think a tribute show is called for here. 

• Like 1

Danielson-Bandito and Darby-Kushida were great.  Another good crowd, I wasn't sure how hot Fresno would be.  There was a lot of the show that was too sports entertainmenty and I kind of zoned out. 

- appreciated them showing clips of Lethal and Orange from last August.  I remember liking that match at the time.  They should do stuff like that more often

- figured Top Flight would win, wish the finish hadn't been so banana peel.  Didn't they win a trios battle royale on Rampage a while back for a title shot?

- The crowd dynamic in the Bryan matches has been weird for the story but who cares.  Won't be a problem next week with Cage.  There was some really cool stuff in this one and there was just enough of a styles clash to make it feel like a struggle for Danielson.  Liked Excalibur pointing out Bryan's reverence for Blue Panther and Bandito using one of his holds on him

- The backstage segment with Shida, Toni and Saraya was so weird/bad.  Shida's one of my favorites but her role in this has been bizarre.  Same with Toni, who I can't tell if she hates this story and doesn't want to be a heel or is just bad at it.  I don't really like "I've been other places" as a motivation for Toni either, she quit WWE and did a bunch of interviews about how happy she was to be in AEW.  So far I'm kinda hating all of this despite liking some of the people involved, but I wasn't into Saraya as a babyface so at least they're trying something

- Takeshita promo was great.  Mutual respect, he's got Danielson's back and he doesn't like MJF.  Simple and effective.  Boom.

- Dug the main event and the matwork/armwork.  I thought it was gonna be a night off for Darby but then he goes and tries to kill himself anyway with the shotgun dropkick into the armbar.  Really interested in the ratings for this one, feels like a test to see how well Darby can do

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
not Blue Demon!
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

This would RULE. Give me a Studd Stable of JD Drake, Nick Gage, the Gunn Club just being grimy as shit with Dubba J cutting Memphis promos. Satnam can stick around as Meng. 

Sigh, I would really be into this.

1 hour ago, Leonidas said:

Seconding the love for a prospective Bandido/Takeshita broadway. Then as a tag team, then as a trio with someone else against BCC, too much I want to see!

How about Bandido/Takeshita to main event the buy-in show? And I'm not just saying that because I won't be able to afford the PPV (OK, maybe I am a little bit).

Also, I'm really trying to think of a third young lion "free agent" for the Bandido-Takeshita trios. Guys like Yuta, Moriarty, and Garcia are already claimed, AR Fox isn't really a young lion and he's also claimed. I'm not very high on Action Andretti. Someone who would be a complementary style, someone who could be the main mouthpiece for promos.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Same with Toni, who I can't tell if she hates this story and doesn't want to be a heel or is just bad at it.  I don't really like "I've been other places" as a motivation for Toni either, she quit WWE and did a bunch of interviews about how happy she was to be in AEW. 

The motivation should be that she carried the division for months as a fighting champion and the fans got behind Hayter instead.

• Like 11

If you aren't going to show any tribute to Jay Briscoe on Dynamite because you think he is some milder form of Chris Benoit because of his tweet that is fine.  But then IMMEDIATELY afterward you run a show from a guy who was caught on camera slapping his wife multiple times where the tag line is "sometimes you need to slap the shit out of someone".    Never mind that that it is this trashy "sport" which is basically an advertisement for watching untrained fighter get brain damage for probably less than grand

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1