DVDVR Message Board

2013 Yes/No: New Japan Pro Wrestling

Kevin Wilson

Here is where you can nominate and vote for matches from promotions listed in the thread title.  Before you nominate a match, please make sure it wasn't already nominated.  In this first post I will keep track of all the nominated matches and I will update it every few days or so which should make things easier.  Happy voting!

Nominated Matches (through 12/17 at 8:30 AM EST):

1/4 - Prince Devitt vs. Kota Ibushi vs. Low-Ki - 1 yes, 2 no

1/4 - Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki - 3 yes, 0 no

1/4 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba - 6 yes, 0 no

1/4 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada - 2 yes, 1 no

2/3 - Masato Tanaka vs. Tomohiro Ishii - 3 yes, 0 no

2/10 - Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada - 1 yes, 1 no

2/10 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Karl Anderson - 4 yes, 0 no

3/11 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Tomohiro Ishii - 3 yes, 0 no

4/5 - Prince Devitt vs. Alex Shelley - 1 yes, 1 no

4/7 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. - 3 yes, 1 no

4/7 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada - 5 yes, 0 no

6/22 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto - 5 yes, 0 no

6/22 - Kazuchika Okada vs. Togi Makabe - 4 yes, 0 no

6/22 - Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov vs. Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA - 1 yes, 1 no

7/20 - Minoru Suzuki vs. Tomohiro Ishii - 2 yes, 0 no

8/1 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. - 1 yes, 2 no

8/2 - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - 4 yes, 0 no

8/2 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Katsuyori Shibata - 2 yes, 0 no

8/4 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi  - 4 yes, 0 no

8/4 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii - 4 yes, 0 no

8/10 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada - 3 yes, 0 no

8/11 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Kazuchika Okada - 2 yes, 0 no

8/11 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata - 2 yes, 0 no

8/11 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - 1 yes, 1 no

9/29 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt - 1 yes, 1 no

9/29 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Kazuchika Okada - 1 yes, 1 no

10/14 - Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi  - 4 yes, 0 no

10/14 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii - 3 yes, 0 no

10/14 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Naomichi Marufuji - 1 yes, 1 no

11/9 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii - 3 yes, 0 no

11/9 - Kazuchika Okada vs. Karl Anderson - 2 yes, 1 no

With the time between some of the matches to where we are now in November, I haven't watched them again so my explanations won't be the best. Sorry.

Nominating:

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 7. A great blend of MMA and pro wrestling. The best match at the event. It's still one of the best matches this year.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW Invasion Attack, 7th April. At the time, I thought this was the best match of the feud. Like to watch it and the King of Pro-Wrestling matches back to back. I really liked how Tanahashi's focus this time was on Okada's big weapon, the Rainmaker arm.

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto. NJPW Dominion, 22nd June. Both men beat the shit out of each other. I preferred this to the more talked about Shibata vs. Ishii match from the G1. I'm in the minority when it comes to that match.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Togi Makabe. NJPW Dominion, 22nd June. This is an underrated match and my favourite IWGP Heavyweight Championship match after the two Tanahashi/Okada ones from April and October.

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, NJPW G1 Climax 23, Day Two, 2nd August. I really liked this match as you slowly start to think Ishii can do it, and you'll remember THAT finish.

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi. NJPW G1 Climax 23, Day Four, 4th August. The best match of the G1 Climax which is saying something with the quality of the tournament. Great finishing stretch as well.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling, 14th October. Since I watched this for the second time, I feel it’s the best match of this brilliant feud. The match felt a better blend of moments in the feud, the headlocks from their first IWGP Title match at The New Beginning 2012 and the armwork from Invasion Attack 2013.

With the time between some of the matches to where we are now in November, I haven't watched them again so my explanations won't be the best. Sorry.

Nominating:

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 7. A great blend of MMA and pro wrestling. The best match at the event. It's still one of the best matches this year.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW Invasion Attack, 7th April. At the time, I thought this was the best match of the feud. Like to watch it and the King of Pro-Wrestling matches back to back. I really liked how Tanahashi's focus this time was on Okada's big weapon, the Rainmaker arm.

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto. NJPW Dominion, 22nd June. Both men beat the shit out of each other. I preferred this to the more talked about Shibata vs. Ishii match from the G1. I'm in the minority when it comes to that match.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Togi Makabe. NJPW Dominion, 22nd June. This is an underrated match and my favourite IWGP Heavyweight Championship match after the two Tanahashi/Okada ones from April and October.

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, NJPW G1 Climax 23, Day Two, 2nd August. I really liked this match as you slowly start to think Ishii can do it, and you'll remember THAT finish.

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi. NJPW G1 Climax 23, Day Four, 4th August. The best match of the G1 Climax which is saying something with the quality of the tournament. Great finishing stretch as well.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling, 14th October. Since I watched this for the second time, I feel it’s the best match of this brilliant feud. The match felt a better blend of moments in the feud, the headlocks from their first IWGP Title match at The New Beginning 2012 and the armwork from Invasion Attack 2013.

Put me down for 7 YES's!

This was pretty much the best of New Japan. The Okada/Tanahashi matches are your World Title classics, Ibushi/Shinsuke was an incredibly dramatic underdog match, same with Ishii/Tanahashi, Goto vs. Shibata was a war and Nakamura vs. Saku was a gem of a shoot style contest.

• Like 1

YES to Nakamura/Sakuraba. One of my favourite matches of the year. I see it as a great throw back to a different era of New Jpan where you could have main events that clocked in at under 15 minutes but still maintained an epic feel. This was like a modern tip of the hat to Hashimoto vs Takada. 

YES to Shibata vs. Goto though I'm not as nutty about it as some people. Thought it was impressive as a spectacle, especially the opening brutality. My big complaint is how unconvincing a lot of Goto's offense looked against a legitimate ass-kicker like Shibata. He put in a more than noble effort, but this did start to feel like a one-man show by the end. Still a really neat, entertaining match. 

I'll nominate SHIBATA vs. TOMOHIRO ISHII 14 October. Liked this one even better than their G1 match; thought it had more story and was less of a rehash of the Shibata/Goto match. I complained above about Goto's offense being unconvincing against a shooter like Shibata; Ishii is the non-MMA guy who can hold his own. 

To weigh in a little on the Shibata love, I'd like to nominate SHIBATA vs SMITH JR, from the first day of the G1, I feel it got forgotten with all the good matches that came after it. Kind of a shoot style thing, they get a lot out of the good old big man vs fast man situation. Everything looks good, especially the grappling.

I was thinking the Smith vs Nakamura IC Title match was really good too, but can't find it online to double check.

Smith vs. Nakamura WAS really good Lazio, so I'll do you the favour of NOM'ing it myself.

NOMINATE: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. 4/7 NJPW

By far Harry's best performance in Japan. He just kills it here, unleashing a ton of mega-offence that Shinsuke sells like a million bucks. One of my main criticisms of Nakamura is that sometimes his finishing runs aren't executed as well as he's trying for, but he nailed it here and had the crowd going wild.

YES to:

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 7.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW Invasion Attack, 7th April.

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto. NJPW Dominion, 22nd June.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Togi Makabe. NJPW Dominion, 22nd June.

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, NJPW G1 Climax 23, Day Two, 2nd August

Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi. NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling, 14th October.

Tomohiro Ishiii vs. Katsuyori Shibata; NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling; 14th October.

NOMINATING:

Shibata vs. Ishii, 8/4 G1 Climax - This had everything you could possibly want from this matchup. A hot crowd in Osaka, a metric fuck shit ton of hate and two dudes beating the dog shit out of one another. This was IMO the best match of the league and my pick for MOTY. Easily Shibata's best since returning and it's up there amongst Ishii's best as well.

Yes to:

Nakamura vs. Sakuraba, 1/4

Tanahashi vs. Okada, 4/7

I just watched Tanahashi vs. Okada (I'm a bit behind...):

To start, Okada gets full points for his attire, wearing a ridiculous (but cool!) robe over his ridiculously gaudy cape-jacket thing. The match is good too! All of Okada’s running kicks/dropkicks are wicked. And Okada’s mid-level offense is so much better when he’s obviously showboating. I like how Tanahashi’s comebacks are more simple in comparison, firing back with kicks, punches and elbows, and targeting the arm. It’s an interesting reversal of what you’d expect a year or two ago. I also liked how Okada’s cockiness turned into desperation as Tanahashi started dealing more damage to the arm, and then back again after Okada hit the first rainmaker. Which eventually allows Tanahashi to make one last comeback. Very smartly worked match with some good action.

Massive YES to 4/8 Nakamura vs Ibushi.

Probably my MOTY. Legitimately amazed by both men's performances as I honestly didn't think Ibushi had any sort of chance but I was so invested in the near falls and how great Ibushi looked in defeat. Honestly hadn't expected such greatness from the match especially with it at the time being unknown as to whether NJ would use Ibushi afterwards.

• Like 1

1/4 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba - YES
4/7 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. - YES
4/7 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada - YES
6/22 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto - YES
6/22 - Kazuchika Okada vs. Togi Makabe - YES
8/1 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. - NO
8/2 - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - YES
8/4 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi - YES
8/4 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii - YES
10/14 - Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - YES
10/14 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii - YES

NOMINATE:
1/4 - Prince Devitt vs. Kota Ibushi vs. Low-Ki
- Might get some "no"s for its spotfest aspect, but goddamn, what a spotfest. Extra points for Low-Ki wrestling the whole thing in cosplay HE DIDN'T WANT TO WEAR and then leaving the company.

1/4 - Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki
- One of my favourite matchups in wrestling.

1/4 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada
- Not quite as good as 4/7 or 10/14. Still awesome.

2/10 - Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada
- I like this better than their longer title match from May. They accomplished the same thing in less time. Many cool sequences to be had here.

2/10 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Karl Anderson
- Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Gotta be a Top 5 or 10 MOTYC.

3/11 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Tomohiro Ishii
- First round of the New Japan Cup, and this is Kojima proving he's still got great singles matches in him after not really having any for about 2 years.

4/5 - Prince Devitt vs. Alex Shelley
- I think this isn't getting a lot of play because it's not from one of the big iPPVs and maybe less people have seen it, but holy cow, this is great. Best chain wrestling I've seen this year, and a hot finishing sequence.

6/22 - Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov vs. Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA
- Just when I thought I'd be sick of their fifth PPV match in 8 months, they go and have their best match together.

7/20 - Minoru Suzuki vs. Tomohiro Ishii
- Bryan Alvarez's self-proclaimed best match of all time. Worth a nom.

8/2 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Katsuyori Shibata
- See 3/11 re: Kojima. Also, one of the best lariat sells ever by Shibata.

8/10 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada
- Of their four matches together in 2013, it's their worst. It's also four and a half stars.

8/11 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Kazuchika Okada
- Koji plays spoiler to keep Okada out of the finals and has an awesome match in the process.

8/11 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata
- Real good match, GREAT finish. Looking forward to a big PPV match between the two in 2014 where Tanahashi doesn't have to wrestle a half-hour match later in the night.

8/11 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito
- Is this not getting play because there were a few better matches in the G-1? While that may be the case, that doesn't change the fact that this is GREAT and is the most over Naito has been in this run.

9/29 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt
- Feel-good match of the year. Devitt has two underhanded wins in a row over Tanahashi, Tanahashi beats up the whole Bullet Club, beats Devitt, everyone goes home happy.

9/29 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Kazuchika Okada
- Longer and just as good match as their G-1 on 8/11. Sorry about that bump on the Rainmaker, Koji. That probably sucked.

10/14 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Naomichi Marufuji
- I'm guessing this hasn't been nominated yet because there were so many great matches on 10/14 and it was just overlooked? I think it's better than Shibata/Ishii on the same show, and that match rules too.

11/9 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii
- Not AS good as their 8/2 match, but still really good. I was hoping Ishii would somehow pull out another win, but that was literally impossible.

11/9 - Kazuchika Okada vs. Karl Anderson
- These guys can't have a bad match together. Their Rainmaker/Gun Stun reversal sequences are always amazing.

YES:
7/20 - Minoru Suzuki vs. Tomohiro Ishii
8/2 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Katsuyori Shibata
8/11 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Kazuchika Okada.
8/11 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata

NO:

2/10 - Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada
4/5 - Prince Devitt vs. Alex Shelley
4/7 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr.
6/22 - Rocky Romero & Aleix Koslov vs. Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA
8/11 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito
9/29 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt
9/29 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Kazuchika Okada
10/14 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Naomichi Marufuji

YES:

- Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Gotta be a Top 5 or 10 MOTYC. I nominated this on the old board and forgot to here.

NO:

- Not quite as good as 4/7 or 10/14. Still awesome. Out of their big six matches, this is my least favourite by far.

Yes to these two: 

Tanahashi/Anderson had some questionable selling that irritated me but the ending had all the crazy near falls and overall I thought it was really good. my boring and reductive summary of the past two years of New Japan main events: I'm not a huge Tanahashi fan or anything but he definitely knows how to work a certain kind of big title match and this is a very good example of that match. I feel pretty much the same way about Okada. this match has added uniqueness value because Anderson goes all-out from beginning to end and seems to know how important it is for his passion and energy to really shine in a big-singles-match setting like this.

Ishii/Kojima is a borderline vote just because it was short-ish and has that inevitable "first round match in what will be a long tournament" stigma of meaninglessness. if Ishii had made an underdog rush to the finals instead of Goto then in hindsight I would probably like this even better because it would sort of be like the Omori/Akiyama match where Omori wins in 9 seconds and then begins his quest toward Kobashi in the carny final; Ishii dropping out of the tournament so soon after this win makes him going over Kojima seem like less of a big deal for Ishii and more like a bad night for Kojima. all that griping aside: this is an excellent short-ish undercard match. I really hope NJPW continues to push Ishii the way they've been doing in 2013 and lets him get some big singles wins outside the flukey G1 and NJ Cup tournament settings. 

NOMINATE:

- Might get some "no"s for its spotfest aspect, but goddamn, what a spotfest. Extra points for Low-Ki wrestling the whole thing in cosplay HE DIDN'T WANT TO WEAR and then leaving the company.

wasn't the story that the company didn't want him to wear it and he went into business for himself?

NOMINATE: TANAKA vs ISHII 3/2 - Brutal, just brutal. It's for the much maligned NEVER title and both guys are on top form doing what they do best - beating the absolute piss out of the other guy. I think this was the point I realised that Ishii was a machine and that the crowds were really into him. It very much sets the tone for his year.

NOMINATE:

wasn't the story that the company didn't want him to wear it and he went into business for himself?

I thought it was quite the opposite (NJPW made him wear it and he didn't want to), but I could be wrong.

NOMINATE:

I thought it was quite the opposite (NJPW made him wear it and he didn't want to), but I could be wrong.

From my memory of it, NJPW forced him to do it, one of NJPW's sponsors got mad because NJ had him dress up like a rival company's video game character and they offered Low Ki as the sacrificial lamb.

NOMINATE:

From my memory of it, NJPW forced him to do it, one of NJPW's sponsors got mad because NJ had him dress up like a rival company's video game character and they offered Low Ki as the sacrificial lamb.

hmmm, never heard it like that but if true then that really sucks for him.

• 1 month later...

Not much to say but here's some votes

1/4 - Prince Devitt vs. Kota Ibushi vs. Low-Ki - no
1/4 - Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki - no
1/4 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba - yes
1/4 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada - yes
2/3 - Masato Tanaka vs. Tomohiro Ishii - no
2/10 - Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada - no
2/10 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Karl Anderson - yes
4/5 - Prince Devitt vs. Alex Shelley -  no
4/7 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. - no
4/7 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada - yes
6/22 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto - yes
6/22 - Kazuchika Okada vs. Togi Makabe - yes
6/22 - Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov vs. Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA - no
8/1 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. - no
8/2 - Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - yes
8/2 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Katsuyori Shibata - yes
8/4 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi  - yes
8/4 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii - yes
8/10 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada - yes
8/11 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Kazuchika Okada - 2 yes, 0 no (need to rewatch)
8/11 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Katsuyori Shibata - 2 yes, 0 no (need to rewatch)
8/11 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - no
9/29 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt - no
9/29 - Satoshi Kojima vs. Kazuchika Okada - yes
10/14 - Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi  - yes
10/14 - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Tomohiro Ishii - yes
10/14 - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Naomichi Marufuji - no
11/9 - Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii - yes
11/9 - Kazuchika Okada vs. Karl Anderson - no

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having to do this thing where I nominate random matches from my top 20 list because this was such a weird year for me and puro and I didn't like hardly any of the things that you guys liked. Anyways. Here's this.

NOMINATION - Ishii & Nakamura vs. Davey Boy Jr. & Vance Archer (NJ 4/05) - This was your typical New Japan tag title match, and I'm assuming the typical Killer Elite Squad match (what a name) but with the two best guys in the company as the challengers. The champs are good in this playing what I can only describe as gaijin cosplay since they're just aping the greats for the most part. But Nakamura is a king, and Ishii is a fucking king. Ishii. Ishii is the best worker in Japan. He will fuck anyone and anything up and he's like 5 feet tall. I want to see footage of him chopping down trees and drinking American beer. Ishii.