DVDVR Message Board

NXT VENGEANCE DAY III - 2/4/2023

Dolfan in NYC

The problem with numbering PPV's is sometimes you run across bullshirt like them re-using the name in a different format.  So technically this is the 11th Vengeance ppv/ple.  Lousy sons of...  (...huh?)  Oh, right...

THE CARD!

STEEL CAGE MATCH FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Bron Breakker (c) vs. Grayson Waller

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Roxanne Perez (c) vs. Jacy Jayne vs. Gigi Dolin

FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Wes Lee (c) vs. Dijak

FATAL FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The New Day (Woods/Kingston, c) vs. Pretty Deadly (Prince/Wilson) vs. Gallus (Coffey/Wolfgang) vs. Chase U (Chase/Hudson)

FOR THE WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Katana Chance and Kayden Carter (c) vs. Fallon Henley and Kiana James

TWO OUT OF THREE FALLS MATCH - Apollo Crews vs. Carmelo Hayes

• Like 1

Notably, this also marks NXT's first PLE outside of the Performance Center in the 2020's.  

For context, the last televised match held outside the PC had Adam Cole (bay bay) retaining the NXT title over Tomasso Ciampa.

(edit, nope)

On 1/11/2023 at 8:46 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

(...)

TWO OUT OF THREE FALLS MATCH - Apollo Crews (c) vs. Carmelo Hayes

A 2/3 falls title is something that even Tony Khan did not think of. But considering that all other matches are for some title, I can see why you automatically added the "(c)" here.

In Steel City Wrestling, we had a "Lord of the Dance" title that could only be defended in three-way and four-way dance matches. I think Quack was the only holder. I always pushed it on commentary as a "World" title since it was the only one (as far as I know).

• Like 1

That finish to the main was so odd. Bron's finisher isn't the spear, it's boring you to death by monologuing.  

Garrison Keilor or whatever his name is seemed almost annoyed by it. "Pin me. Pin me. Pin me." 

• Haha 3

On 2/2/2023 at 9:39 AM, Robert S said:

A 2/3 falls title is something that even Tony Khan did not think of. But considering that all other matches are for some title, I can see why you automatically added the "(c)" here.

I wanna say it was... Gulak? that pitched the idea that the cruiserweight belt being defended in 2/3 falls only. Just to try and give it something other than "little man" belt.

On 2/2/2023 at 10:09 AM, Gorman said:

In Steel City Wrestling, we had a "Lord of the Dance" title that could only be defended in three-way and four-way dance matches. I think Quack was the only holder. I always pushed it on commentary as a "World" title since it was the only one (as far as I know).

That's actually pretty awesome.

Single fall matches or elimination style?

The show was alright. It just felt like the finishes (except for the NA Title and Women's title matches) felt off. Not sure if it was the pacing leading up to the finishes or something else. We're finally getting on the road to Melo/Bron and I can't wait.

Also, someone down there has to stop the monologue before the finish trope. Someone, please. For Bron to talk like that and just decide on another spear, why not break out the Steiner Recliner? If you really want to prove your dominance, make him tap. 

• Like 2

The top two matches felt kinda short while some of the earlier matches felt overly long. Roxanne/Gigi/Jacy all did great. Did Pretty Deadly randomly die after hitting their finish on Kofi at the end or something? Hate to see Kayden & Katana lose, but I do enjoy the tag dynamic of Kiana & Fallon thus far.

Ended up catching this late due to personal distractions making me forget it was on today. 

Lee/Dijak was pretty good. Lee being the most over NXT guy was surprising to see, but it worked well in the match's favor.

KC2 vs. Kiana/Fallon built into a solid match. Not big on KC2 losing the belts here. It made little sense with how much they were pushing the two being the longest running champs and Alba/Isla being built up. Beyond that Fallon and Kiana are not especially over even back at the CWC. Just a weird choice that made for a flat ending. 

Crews/Hayes had a very good first fall. The second was building into something solid until the weird ending with Babatunde returning. Its nice to see him do something on NXT. I do feel bad though as I can never remember the current name they have for him which looking it up is Dabba-Kato now. Kind of wish they would just stick with his actual name since its more memorable for me. I'm ok with Crews losing two falls straight though the finish could have been executed better. 

Tag titles match was fun chaos by the end. Was nice to see Chase U get some moments to shine. Gallus winning feels odd here. They were the least interesting team and it fetl like they should have waited until Stand and Deliver to have New Day lose the belts.

Roxanne vs. Gigi vs. Jacy was a well told story even if the action was a bit messy.

Bron/Waller was solid though the finish was another weird one with Bron talking shit before murdering Waller. 

Thought the show was mostly decent-solid. Lee/Dijak was easily MOTN though nothing was worse than solid. The biggest things keeping this from being good were the finishes, which were either off in execution or had questionable booking. This was an interesting show with it being in front of a much bigger crowd than the CWC. They had a pretty good sized crowd though it didn't really feel like anyone was super over outside of Lee and the New Day. The bigger acts did get interest in their matches, but not as much as they probably could have. Hopefully they step up their game at Stand and Deliver if they want these bigger PLEs to work like they did during the Black and Gold era. 

On 2/5/2023 at 5:58 AM, Eivion said:

KC2 vs. Kiana/Fallon built into a solid match. Not big on KC2 losing the belts here. It made little sense with how much they were pushing the two being the longest running champs and Alba/Isla being built up. Beyond that Fallon and Kiana are not especially over even back at the CWC. Just a weird choice that made for a flat ending. 

Missed the beginning of the show, went back to watch this.

You're right to say it's weird, I'd go farther and say it's a match layout that was uphill in terms of getting the crowd into it. We start out wondering about Kiana and Fallon working together, we get incredulity when Carter slaps Brooks' ass, we get a disconnect when Fallon doesn't work with Kiana in double-teams - the Fallon segments are worked face v face, the Kiana segments are more traditionally heel-face - so we get this weird zone of feeling iffy about KC2 double-teams on a team that we're maybe supposed to be rooting for the unification of?

We also have the not-great dynamic of Brooks and Jensen being there, so the tiny good-guy champs are outnumbered, even if B&J didn't do much.

And then we kind of feel bad about the actual team losing to the face-heel team when the heel heels and the face doesn't notice. Really mixed-up messaging, would have benefitted from another week of build or a promo segment so we'd know more clearly how Fallon would feel about Kiana cheating to win.

Edited by Iron Moose
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

From watching the main event, I don't think Bron Breakker is as over as the WWE thinks he is.  The only reaction it seemed he got was when he did Rick Steiner stuff.  It helped him that Grayson is really good at being hated

I think that he's cooled off because he is main roster ready. Nobody expected Waller to really be a threat so the investment isn't there 

Bron probably should have come up in the Rumble and maybe won a spot in the US Title Chamber.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Iron Moose said:

Missed the beginning of the show, went back to watch this.

You're right to say it's weird, I'd go farther and say it's a match layout that was uphill in terms of getting the crowd into it. We start out wondering about Kiana and Fallon working together, we get incredulity when Carter slaps Brooks' ass, we get a disconnect when Fallon doesn't work with Kiana in double-teams - the Fallon segments are worked face v face, the Kiana segments are more traditionally heel-face - so we get this weird zone of feeling iffy about KC2 double-teams on a team that we're maybe supposed to be rooting for the unification of? We also have the not-great dynamic of the Brooks and Jensen being there so the tiny good-guy champs are outnumbered, even if B&J didn't do much.

And then we kind of feel bad about the actual team losing to the face-heel team when the heel heels and the face doesn't notice. Really mixed-up messaging, would have benefitted from another week of build or a promo segment so we'd know more clearly how Fallon would feel about Kiana cheating to win.

With the way Fallon has been booked I can totally see her giving KC2 a rematch this week or next week for the titles after she sees the footage. 

22 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

This was sort of how I saw the New Day NXT run going. They had a fun little run with the belts and became transitional champs for Gallus and put them over. Dijak's finger injury looked nasty. Hope he's OK.

Oh shit! That's exactly what happened to PAC's index finger a couple of minutes into a 20-minute match against the artist currently known as Gunther in an OTT title match. PAC didn't leave it like that though, he pulled it back in place and continued. If Dijak continued like that (I don't know, since I haven't watched) I can't imagine how gnarly that must have felt? Imagine chopping someone with that hand, or catching someone's plancha or tope? Holy hell!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 3:25 PM, hammerva said:

From watching the main event, I don't think Bron Breakker is as over as the WWE thinks he is.  The only reaction it seemed he got was when he did Rick Steiner stuff.  It helped him that Grayson is really good at being hated

I gotta agree with @l_w_p Bron was super over, but his story hasn't hit the right notes in the last few months. It's a built in issue for NXT, you know these guys are getting called up at some point so you don't want to do too much storyline development, but you have to give them something to work with. Everyone has tried to make Bron "lose his cool" except for Tyler Bate who just wanted to good match. At this point, Bron isn't going to lose his cool aside from smashing some old flat screens in the back. So now what do you do with him? Melo is probably next in line, but he's ready to be called up too. They might run into the issue they had before with the roster, no room on the main roster so guys just stick around spinning their wheels. 

• Like 1