DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Returns to WWE

37 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I cannot stress enough how singular the WWE's set-up is with one person having 80% of the voting power of a company. 

This is why Joe Masseria and Maranzano left the earth before they were intended to. Maybe Vince is going end up laying outside Sparks Steak House, but with a steak wrap grasped firmly in his hand still.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Is there anything stopping Vince from taking WWE private again?

@Greggulator would know better than I, but after reading Barbarians at the Gates I know an LBO means having to borrow a shit ton of money and take on massive debit to pay it off. Then you pretty much have to slash the company to the bone to pay it off. Not sure if that is attractive to Vince (or avaiable)  

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

@Greggulator would know better than I, but after reading Barbarians at the Gates I know an LBO means having to borrow a shit ton of money and take on massive debit to pay it off. Then you pretty much have to slash the company to the bone to pay it off. Not sure if that is attractive to Vince (or avaiable)  

My day job is writing about LBOs and similar things.

A private equity fund could absolutely take WWE private if it can pony up the money to do so. And, yes, many have the money to do so (or can do so with a few other investors.) A lot of private equity firms are buying sports teams. 

The thing about a PE fund though is that they eventually one day will have to sell the company - either back through an IPO or to another privately held company. It's something that came to mind. A lot of private equity managers are looking at buying publicly traded companies and taking them private right now. Not unheard of.

Also: debt is a relative thing. Interest rates are up by about 4% this year... but taking a loan essentially had zero interest rate over the past few years. 

Outside of my expertise to think how Vince could buy 100% of the company and take it private. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The issue I see though is I think the entities that would buy the WWE probably would have preferred to do it five or six years before other major events occurred (the aforementioned Warner Bros/Discovery merger, Disney acquiring 21st Century Fox, streaming bubble about to burst, the whole goddamn pandemic). I think that's taken a lot of the big time players out of the ballgame even if WWE is sitting pretty.

So with the streaming bubble - I would say that it did burst already. But the problem with streaming like Netflix is that the company is barely profitable. Investors bought its stock in hopes that one day it would become profitable. (That's called a "growth stock.") But that never happened and eventually people saw that subscribers were slowing down and the company spends a lot of money and (I'm guessing) has a lot of debt. And since that's the brand name of streaming platforms, it's also likely the same exact thing at every other streaming platform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if hypothetically Vince could borrow 6 Billion and change so he could own it all. Its crazy but it might be just the Vince type of crazy

Toys R' Us model where a fund puts up the Capital, but makes Vince repay it at an absurd interest rate.

Does Vince live long enough to keep the company out of bankruptcy? He might not care

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Red King said:

It was also mentioned that the (WWE) company could go private again.

Wait, this could happen? That would be perfect for Vince wouldn't it? Hell, wouldn't that be kind of good for the product possibly as well? I'm not saying we're getting Attitude Era back, but I'm sure part of the reason WWE has "toned it down" over the past two decades is because their publically traded, no?

I wonder if hypothetically Vince could borrow 6 Billion and change so he could own it all. Its crazy but it might be just the Vince type of crazy

I don't know how the specific process works but Vince through the board can also just say "hey, let's make the shares of this company private" without spending any significant money. But it's been done before.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

But the problem with streaming like Netflix is that the company is barely profitable. Investors bought its stock in hopes that one day it would become profitable. (That's called a "growth stock.")

Really good article explaining Growth Stocks and why the market only focuses on short-term gains:

The Value of Nothing: Capital versus Growth

1 minute ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Wait, this could happen? That would be perfect for Vince wouldn't it? Hell, wouldn't that be kind of good for the product possibly as well? I'm not saying we're getting Attitude Era back, but I'm sure part of the reason WWE has "toned it down" over the past two decades is because their publically traded, no?

"Going private" in this case likely does not mean Vince waves a magic wand and the company is now privately held and no one can buy the shares publicly. He technically could do that, but he clearly wants to sell the company.

What it means is that a private equity firm (BlackRock and KKR are the brand names) negotiates a price to buy the company (say $100 a share) and become the full owners and they can do what they want with it. But the only thing is that a private equity fund buys companies and tries to sell them years 7 to 10 years later at a profit. It can do that by taking the company public again or by selling to another privately held company or even another private equity fund. 

What's also crazy (and this is what I write about) - private equity firms get the money to buy companies from pension systems, college endowments, charitable foundations, rich person family investing offices and the like. So a retired teacher in Maine might be able to indirectly own part of a wrestling company.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Now I'm curious how all of this works once Vince dies, especially the voting power.

He will still have the voting power. He'll be taking it with him. That was the only way to assure that things remain the correct way even when he's gone.

Sponsors and more would still demand changes. Or you risk losing the sponsors and anyone you teamed up with. Mattel and more hate blood and some gore.

Advertisers too, Dominos had problems with the Pizza Cutter thing on AEW

I see Vince returning more about renewing the tv negotiations. Rather they put Raw on NBC, USA network is rapidly declining over the years. The cord cutting movement in America is still ongoing, even after the post streams era boom. 

29 minutes ago, Red King said:

Rather they put Raw on NBC

There is a better chance someone would ride a unicorn than Raw going to NBC. They would have get 3 or 4 million more viewers to be on NBC in primetime.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

Does Vince have the authority to do something like, say, put up ownership of the company in a match at WRESTLEMANIA

I'm afraid not, company bylaws clearly state it must be decided in a traditional 5v5 Survivor Series elimination match.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

I'm afraid not, company bylaws clearly state it must be decided in a traditional 5v5 Survivor Series elimination match.

But can the company change hands on a DQ or countout?

• Like 2

Considering the backlash cord cutting is getting because it’s just as bad as having cable again, cable companies would be wise to drop their prices or go more ala carte to get more subscribers again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

HOW CAN THOSE FIVE SPORTS ENTERTAINERS TRUST EACH OTHER

Another ridiculous aspect of the 2001 Invasion storyline was the Survivor Series 2001 match that culminated into the buildup of, "We will be out of a job if we don't win."

Yes, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson will be out of work and unable to find some cause he lost a match. What in the entire fuck?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1