DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Returns to WWE

Honestly, I think Vince trying to get back in is about the most interesting thing that could happen.  I’m very curious to see how this goes from a business standpoint,  my first question is, does Vince really plan to sell the company or is that just his raison d'être  for trying to regain control?  What happens to Paul and Stephanie if he regains control?  Paul continues to run creative, Stephanie shuttled to a vp position?  They leave the company entirely?  I tend to think Paul and Steph have at least some involvement with the leaks to the WSJ, assuming they aren’t feeding the information directly.

I can see why Vince regaining control of creative might unnerve some fans and talent, but, eh, no opinion on that here.  Not sure I have any more or less interest if it’s Paul in charge, Vince in charge, TK in charge, Freddie Prinze Jr., Ellen Pompeo from Grey’s Anatomy, etc.  All the same to me.

i wasn’t planing on watching much (any?) wrestling this year past Wrestle Kingdom but WWE 2: Wrath of Vince (and maybe Khan) might keep me invested for awhile.  Anyone got popcorn?

Now i’m really curious about where Nick Khan’s loyalties lie.

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 2

What would worry me if I worked there, more than anything, is that there's a long and storied tradition of sports teams shedding big contracts before a sale. Ownership often issues directives to trade or cut big contracts to increase the attractiveness of the property to prospective buyers. I can't imagine Vince wants a monstrous payroll on the books while shopping the company. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

What would worry me if I worked there, more than anything, is that there's a long and storied tradition of sports teams shedding big contracts before a sale. Ownership often issues directives to trade or cut big contracts to increase the attractiveness of the property to prospective buyers. I can't imagine Vince wants a monstrous payroll on the books while shopping the company. 

I forsee a roster cull for that reason and it sucks. Morale must be low as fuck.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Oh it definitely sucks, and I imagine TK got some very tasteful fruit baskets today from one "M. Black Shymalan" and one "Sr. Idolo" on account of Uncle Tony not granting them their releases. I can't imagine Dragon Lee, given that he just got the largest nXt contract ever, feels very good today. I should stop. This kind of conjecture doesn't do anything.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, just drew said:

If I'm a new signee or re-signing a new deal with WWE, I'd be asking at this point to have a contract with NBC Universal instead of with WWE directly

Like how SpikeTV had Sting's contract separate from TNA's payroll - if the company goes under, you still get paid by the network

32 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

If I'm a new signee or re-signing a new deal with WWE, I'd be asking at this point to have a contract with NBC Universal instead of with WWE directly

Like how SpikeTV had Sting's contract separate from TNA's payroll - if the company goes under, you still get paid by the network

What good does that do if Fox buys it? They’d move Raw to a channel they own, so NBC Universal would be in the dark completely (assuming Fox would move the network to Hulu or ESPN+ too if that happens)

5 minutes ago, LF2 said:

What good does that do if Fox buys it? They’d move Raw to a channel they own, so NBC Universal would be in the dark completely (assuming Fox would move the network to Hulu or ESPN+ too if that happens)

They'd still be on the hook for the contract - if Roman Reigns was being paid through NBC Universal but WWE went out of business, he'd just sit out the duration of his contract and get paid like the WCW stars did in 2001-2002

• Like 1

Sites are saying Vince, Barrios and Wilson are officially back on the board of directors.  Three board members were removed to make room for the nWo the new board members.  Two other board members resigned effective today.  So, yay, room for two more Vince cronies.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wwe-confirms-vince-mcmahon-rejoining-board-stock-spikes-rcna64639

WWE stock price up 22 percent as of 11:15.

I guess we’ll get two Bloodline feuds at WrestleMania.  Steph really needs to win the Royal Rumble unless she wants to be relocated to the WWE’s new office in Antarctica.

i’m not surprised Vince is back.  I am surprised it’s happening this quickly. When the story broke yesterday, I figured Vince would get back in by… Spring?  I thought the board and CEO would find some way to stall, then there would be a bit of a power struggle or maybe a lawsuit.  Didn’t think the situation would seemingly resolve itself in twelve hours.  That makes me wonder if Vince’s people leaked the news to the Journal to spur stock price in overnight trading.

Edited by Doc Townsend
Lotsa typos

This whole time I thought Vince’s Frank and Karl were Johnny Ace and Bruce. Turns out it’s Barrios and Wilson.

Count me in the group that thinks the inner workings of WWE are infinitely more interesting and fascinating than what’s on screen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Vince trying to make a deal before the SEC/etc sanctions of Vince make it harder for him to get paid from a deal?

That could make it harder to find a potential suitor as it makes no sense for anyone to buy it now until that irons itself out. Plus, I don't think they had a bunch interest in year pasts which is why they were constantly like, "it's not for sale, but you never know.".

There wasn't a bunch of interest for the UFC until an ownership group no one had in the running bought it. There were rumors for at least a solid 2 or 3 months everyone thought a huge Chinese conglomerate was gonna buy it and everyone started freaking out.

Two things: 

1) Keep the memes to a minimum, or better yet, not at all.  The whole point to shutting down the pic thread was to NOT have a thread that takes forever to load and/or puts a strain on the servers.  

2) This sounds fine:

😐

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Just now, worldcupfever said:

I hope TK keeps these tweets in mind next time he loses his mind about being sick of WWE's shit.

You're right. This is exactly as potentially damaging to WWE's business as HHH contract tampering could've been for AEW. 100% equal.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

You're right. This is exactly as potentially damaging to WWE's business as HHH contract tampering could've been for AEW. 100% equal.

I'm not comparing them, I get the difference there.  It's simply a comment about how petty TK can be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1