DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Returns to WWE

Alvarez says he was getting texts before and during NXT that WWE had been sold to the Saudis. People he talked to had similar experiences. I guess those two little guys were the only ones to run with it without confirming.

So it was getting out there. Was it a test balloon to see what the stock price would do? Did WSJ et al get similar messages, and not take the bait?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Dog said:

Money is his legacy. If WWE does end up going to the Saudis, it's because they wanted it and offered a lot more than a business or investor group could, because they can. Vince wants nothing more in life to say, "I took this stupid thing from the smokey barrooms to a 20 billion dollar sale." That's his endgame. Do that and die knowing you bent the world to your will. I guess that's the sort of thing that's important to him.

This 100%.  Nailed it.

I've been holding off on commenting on the Saudi stuff because NEWZ and because there's a hundred things to say but I wanted to make a couple points

- If it does happen, don't feel bad for Sami.  He JUST re-signed, when Vince was in charge.  He could have gone to AEW, he knew who he was getting in bed with.  If he wakes up with fleas...

- As to why Saudi Arabia would want WWE I think it's obvious but I get that not everybody has been following MBS and his Vision 2030.  The GLOBAL reach of WWE across media platforms would be massive to that end.  Think of WWE's huge built in multi-generational audience that practically touches every corner of the globe and you can see why it would be so valuable to them as a cultural object and soft propaganda tool more than anything else.  This isn't about American hearts and minds exclusively, more people watch WWE in India and China at this point.  The goal is to turn Saudi Arabia into a tourist destination and sports and media hub for the entire world, and it's a longview.  WWE actually fits brilliantly alongside LIV and Newcastle, and they definitely reach more eyeballs

- I enjoy the schadenfreude of internet comment sections, the worse grammar and brain function the better.  It's a bad habit.  But seeing people freak out on the newz sites last night was entertaining for a minute.  My favorite was the WWE diehards losing their minds because Saudis=9/11 (interesting how widespread this is now that even the morons accept it) and now they're totally screwed because they CANT or WONT watch AEW for some reason!  I really wanted to create an account just to find out why these people are so anti-AEW that even Vince going heel on 'Merica won't change their minds 😄

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

a wrestling promotion where Tyson Fury is pushed like he's 80s Hulk Hogan wouldn't be the dumbest wrestling promotion ever... somehow

Man, between Fury and Conor, that cocaine budget is gonna be up there with the WWF budget in the 80s. 

• Haha 2

Do you really think really think some of the people HHH bought back would really just Walk out? The moment it was announced that Vince was back in the boardroom, it was speculated that guys were in fear of getting cut even before it seemed Saudi would be likely to buy WWE. Some of you guys here talked about how it's a  common practice for big mass releases to happen during an event of a Sell so why not just wait to get released instead. I can see Sami and Owens for obvious reasons deciding walk out on their own and maybe one or two other people. 

Just now, zendragon said:

This kinda reminds me of when Dana White went on Dan Patrick and said "we are not for sale, but if someone has 4 billion dollars" and then immediately the endeavor deal was done, wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be true

They had started saying that a year or so before they got sold to Endeavor though. Also, I believe their original price was a little higher than that.

21 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I seem to recall he was on DP like a day or two before the sale was made official, basically he went on the specifically to lie. It's a where there's smoke there's fire thing for me

No I believe you cause I do vaguely remember him being on Dan Patrick. Matter of fact, that sale did go seemingly how this one seems to be going down to the inside source on Reddit. I don't remember specifically if they ended up being vindicated, but I do remember it not being the "big" media sources that initially confirmed it. What happened was the information leaked out and then at least a few hours later, it got confirmed by them including the big writeups. 

• Like 2

I don't think a sale to the Saudis would be about the money and if I was reading tea leaves it's not that hard.

1. Vince doesn't like being retired and he wants to die in Gorilla position.

2. He knows he can't come back to a publicly traded company because of all the SEC noise, or if he does come back, it's trouble. 

3. Tell the company he won't approve a sale or media rights unless he comes back. 

4. He forces his way back in to approve a sale to the Saudis to take the company private. Fuck the stockholders and fuck the SEC. 

5. He's already established relationships with the Saudi government, they will leave him to run the company, ala Dana White. 

The other thing to all this: after all these years of people threatening to not watch, the #cancelWWEnetwork stuff and everything else, nothing has changed. In fact, the people I see on social media saying things are so much better since HHH took over are the same people that were saying the shows were great before Vince stepped down. The ratings haven't really changed before or after, and they won't change if the Saudi government buys the company and Vince takes back creative. Which we all know is going to happen.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I'm not angry; I'm fascinated. 

Yeah, I'm not angry. I gave up WWE several years ago, so I don't really care. My only care is who will be released and how it may benefit AEW. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

"Pro-wrestling has more than one royal family."

I’ve been avoiding giving into my worst instincts and preemptively worrying about Cody’s push, but I almost thought it was decent timing on the injury that he went down on top before Vince could get bored and middle him. And now, who knows what he’s coming back to. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Dog said:

Alvarez says he was getting texts before and during NXT that WWE had been sold to the Saudis. People he talked to had similar experiences. I guess those two little guys were the only ones to run with it without confirming.

So it was getting out there. Was it a test balloon to see what the stock price would do? Did WSJ et al get similar messages, and not take the bait?

OK but who is sending those texts, and if Alvarez and co. weren't buying it, why did Haynes and Muelhausen? 

Just seems like some steps were skipped here. 

My problem with the reporting on this, is if you are going to report something is confirmed or a done deal or imminent, it has to happen with a fairly reasonable certainty. And if it's imminent, we should be hearing about it shortly. Otherwise, using such language is misleading, ie Hulk Hogan, "When I went on Arsenio Hall and said I didn't use steroids, I meant I wasn't using steroids at that moment! Not that I never used steroids ever!"

Edited by TheVileOne

30 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

OK but who is sending those texts, and if Alvarez and co. weren't buying it, why did Haynes and Muelhausen? 

Just seems like some steps were skipped here. 

My problem with the reporting on this, is if you are going to report something is confirmed or a done deal or imminent, it has to happen with a fairly reasonable certainty. And if it's imminent, we should be hearing about it shortly. Otherwise, using such language is misleading, 

I don't think it's misleading just because we've seen this before especially in the MMA world. That's the reason why I had/have an issue with Helwani a lot of times. There were so many fights that eventually happened that were reported elsewhere that Helwani didn't report but because it didn't come from he had to chime and say, "No, that fight isn't done yet.". He wouldn't report any other detail. Not why it isn't done yet or which party isn't satisfied with what. Turns out that person was right usually, and Ariel was just being a dick because he got scooped on something. It just wasn't officially announced in like a matter of minutes. Everything isn't microwaveable. I don't think it's a journalist not doing their due diligence especially when a bunch of fuckers tease something big will happen and then nothing. 

Even if they came to or closing a deal with the Saudis, do you think they would try to hold off till Wrestlemania to announce something. I'd think at this point it would be almost impossible to kayfabe everyone for that long. If they were to announce something like that before Mania, it would probably mess up plans for people like Rock or Cena who maybe not want to be connected to that at this time.

• Like 1