DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Returns to WWE

17 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I have zero interest in listening to Conrad Thompson talk with Eric Bischoff so have no idea of the context. But apparently Conrad said he does not see the upside of Tony K buying the WWE. 

In a world of awful takes, that might just be the absolute worst. Geez, I can’t even begin to picture the upside of having a start-up wrestling company with a niche audience and ending up owning one of the most recognizable brands and the nine figures worth of profit it generates and its decades worth of intellectual property and being able to leverage my dad’ the NFL owner’s vast connections throughout the media landscape.

Absolutely no upside at all. 

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1162397/conrad-thompson-on-if-tony-khan-would-buy-wwe/

I probably should listen to it myself, but I think the context may be that Tony probably wouldn't have enough time to devote to AEW as well as WWE. I would think if Shad and Tony bought WWE, Tony would be the head of creative, no? You cannot be working for the Jags, Fulham, AND booking by far the biggest name in pro wrestling along with the company YOU started. Crockett came apart at the seams when? Jim became friends with the boys, moved to Dallas, and was trying to deal with doing shows in what was left of Florida, Georgia, the Mid South territory, and his own territory. That's too much for one guy. Now if he wants to leave Paul in charge, delegate some of the day-to-day responsibilities to others, and just drop in to kinda supervise, wouldn't be an issue at all. Knowing Conrad, that's probably his context. 

Tony Khan would be the only good billionaire in history if he used his fortune to produce endless fan-service pro-wrestling shows and hosting every unedited historical show available.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 2

Paul Heyman was in over his head in 1999 and tanked ECW because he couldn't handle booking 2 hours of weekly TV and refused to delegate creative - Tony is the exact same way and I don't see how adding even more responsibility to his plate ends well

For all we know he'd wander into the underground WWE tape vault and never be seen again

Edited by Dolphman 3000

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Karl said on one of his shows that having a wrestling bear is now illegal in Alabama of all places. 

If anybody has the footage of whatever terrible event forced the Alabama state legislature to make this law, I'll click on the dailymotion link. Unless the bear botched a flapjack, no joy in watching those.

• Like 1

Going back to the Conrad thing....turns out the context was what I was saying with Eric making the EXACT point I was making (the fact Tony already a bunch of stuff he's already doing). Eric also believes though that if Tony/Shad want to put some of their money into this then the possibility is real that they could buy it.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I bet Dutch don't know nothing about IPOs (maybe IPAs), but I bet that motherfucker knows the science behind rasslin' a bear.

And this why Tales from the Territories should cover other parts of Tennessee.

See, from a Shareholder perspective, there aren't many people with experience of owning a television wrestling company that didn't lose a ton of money and go out of business quickly. And if one of the only people to have ever done it wants to buy lead a buyout of the World's biggest television wrestling companies, that would make him a safer investment, no?

1 hour ago, AxB said:

See, from a Shareholder perspective, there aren't many people with experience of owning a television wrestling company that didn't lose a ton of money and go out of business quickly. And if one of the only people to have ever done it wants to buy lead a buyout of the World's biggest television wrestling companies, that would make him a safer investment, no?

Perhaps but I don't understand why anyone who's lived through the Monday night Wars would want another monopoly of Mainstream North American Wrestling whether or not your a fan of either promotion. If TK was to Purchase WWE I'm sure Hunter, Regal and Shawn Michaels would be in really good standing 

2 hours ago, AxB said:

I still think the safest option is Disney. They’ll keep pumping money into the company, and I’m sure based on the fact that Bob Iger met with Nick Khan during the National title game that he knows who he’d want to have run the company. 

The Khans leading a group isn’t as good a thing as people here are making it out to be. Hell Tony struggles to fill three hours of tv a week with a roster that’s just as large as WWE’s, so what would he do with eight hours a week? He’d burn out, and still alienate people by not using them ever. 

2 minutes ago, LF2 said:

The Khans leading a group isn’t as good a thing as people here are making it out to be. Hell Tony struggles to fill three hours of tv a week with a roster that’s just as large as WWE’s, so what would he do with eight hours a week? He’d burn out, and still alienate people by not using them ever. 

I agree with this logically, but I'm petty and would love for Vince to have to call Tony Khan his boss.  

• Like 6

Stranger things have happened, but I’ll believe Vince would sell to the Khans after it happens.  If nothing else, I think Vince’s ego would get in the way,  He wouldn’t want to risk Tony Khan making the company a bigger success than he did.

i don’t necessarily think it would be the best move for AEW.  TK would probably be overextended and it would really just be exchanging one monopoly for another.

Personally, I think Vince is more likely to sell to Shao Khan (edit: it’s spelled Kahn, not Khan) than Shad Khan.

Edited by Doc Townsend

I don't want Tony Khan to be in charge of both the WWE and AEW creatively.  Honestly, I don't know if he should be the only person in charge of AEW creative.  That's a huge burden for one person, and no one can consistently create good a good to great product on their own for any length of time.  You need people to say no, or add something to a B idea to turn it into an A idea.  Honestly, my best case scenario would be for the Khans to buy WWE, and leave HHH in charge, and then use HHH, Heyman, Regal, and others to build a creative structure so neither WWE or AEW is being run by one creative mind.  I honestly think the only real reason we haven't seen a new golden age is because we don't have enough creative diversity to take advantage of the amount of talent that is available.  

• Like 5

Agreed. I don't think The Khans buying WWE works out. It's almost like the merger would be too big and implode in on it's self.

Tony created AEW. He's not going to want to just shutter that brand and identity. I'm sure it means a lot to him. You also can't shutter WWE. They are still the recognized brand in the industry and mega profitable. Would Tony seriously try to run Raw on Mondays, NXT on Tuesdays, Dynamite on Wednesdays, Smackdown & Rampage on Fridays, ROH PPVs, AEW PPVs, WWE PPVs, NXT PPVs & all the many Youtube shows? It's wayyyy tooo muccchhh.

Things would have to be streamlined. And even then it'll all be too same-y. You'll end up int he 00s Raw & Smackdown situation where the majority of people watching then picked just one to watch and overlap was minimal. Financially I see how it makes sense. But in actuality and practice it would be a mess. Even at the most streamlined possible scenario, one merged WWE brand on Fridays, one merged AEW brand on Wednesdays, one merged & unified ROH / NXT brand on Mondays... that's still just too much.

Although that one would be one hell of mega library. And we would all likely benefit from a streaming service with all of those libraries mashed up together and led by a super nerd like us.

• Like 1

I forgot which episode of Prichard's podcast it was but he was telling Conrad about someone booking bear matches like 

"Now the problem is you go in thinking bear's gonna work a people spot, but thing is you gotta go in and learn to work a bear spot."

• Haha 2