DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Returns to WWE

WWE May Be Up for Sale. This Company Is Interested, and Who Else Might Be.

There are at least three companies are generally seen as in a position to buy. Barron’s has confirmed that another is interested.

All Elite Wrestling—the top rival to WWE ,led by Tony Khan and family—is in the pool of potential buyers for WWE, a person close to the potential transaction told Barron’s, adding that the Khans will likely look for a financial partner to acquire the asset. Tony Khan’s father Shahid Khan, a co-owner of AEW, already owns the football team Jacksonville Jaguars and the English soccer club Fulham Football Club, indicating the duo have deep pockets.  

• Like 1

If I had to guess, I'd put the Khan's chances of buying WWE at 5% or less. I think the most likely buyer is the Saudi PIF simple because they'll go over and above the bid anyone else puts in. I can't see Endeavor or NBC, going over the top with their bid. Although the Endeavor angle is interesting considering they kept Dana in place and likely would do the same with Vince, but then again, so would the Saudis. I think the biggest risk with selling to NBC is that while yes, they wouldn't have to bother with TV rights deals, they could very well pull the plug on Vince and put someone else in charge similar to what happened with SNL, although that was generations ago. If Vince is interested in staying in power, which will all know he is, then I think it's the Saudi PIF and Endeavor that would have the greatest shot.

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I just want Tony to get the library. I know certain parties would be aghast by such an idea, but those parties are incorrect. There's much more of a chance of us getting Omni shows with Tony owning the footage. 

On this front, I have wondered if no matter who acquires it if Tony would check on the availability of any footage the new owners might not consider monetizable or relevant to WWE's cultural footprint. We have every reason to believe he'd want as much as possible. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

In fact, I don't even think Vince would talk to any reps from Tony and Shahid's camp.

They are not mortal enemies. If that camp is interested, they will take the meeting but I am not sure what would come of it if they aren't hearing the number they want.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Internet tape trader who started a sleaze thread goes on to nearly literally and legally own nearly all wrestling footage is one hell of a story.

Great story but the greatest story is Randy Orton doing all that posturing to just end up working for Tony Khan anyway.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Great story but the greatest story is Randy Orton doing all that posturing to just end up working for Tony Khan anyway.

Andrade and Miro absolutely seething right now.

• Haha 3

Double post so this one can be serious: I think Wrestlenomics said Big Poppa Khan is worth about $16 billion, and who knows how much of that is liquid. So they'd have to do the same as everyone else and get other investors or loans involved. Probably not worth it to Dad, who had a very low opinion of wrestling pre-AEW, to compete with the big guns. (I assume Vince just takes the highest bidder.)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

They are not mortal enemies. If that camp is interested, they will take the meeting but I am not sure what would come of it if they aren't hearing the number they want.

While there's no bitter rivalry there like Vince-Ted, I still think Vince would be too wary of a "being beaten at his own game" narrative to sell to a direct competitor in the sports entertainment field...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I always thought of Vince as the kind of guy who needed to win. Be #1. The idea that he would sell out to a richer man in the end because all along it was just a long con for the biggest cashout possible seems odd to me for him. Like it would bug him forever that he wasn't still winning the game.

Or he's just that good a player that he got me to be a mark for the idea that he was a mark for himself.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, piranesi said:

I always thought of Vince as the kind of guy who needed to win. Be #1. The idea that he would sell out to a richer man in the end because all along it was just a long con for the biggest cashout possible seems odd to me for him. Like it would bug him forever that he wasn't still winning the game.

Or he's just that good a player that he got me to be a mark for the idea that he was a mark for himself.

As much fun as it would be for The Khan's to buy the WWE, it wouldn't happen. Mostly for Vince's ego. I think he would sabotage the company before he ever let someone in competition with him buy it and possibly take it to even bigger heights. 

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Dog said:

Double post so this one can be serious: I think Wrestlenomics said Big Poppa Khan is worth about $16 billion, and who knows how much of that is liquid. So they'd have to do the same as everyone else and get other investors or loans involved. Probably not worth it to Dad, who had a very low opinion of wrestling pre-AEW, to compete with the big guns. (I assume Vince just takes the highest bidder.)

Well the Barron's story said they would look for a financial partner.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TimLivingston said:

Reports are now that Khan (non-Tony division) had discussions with Disney, so they’re absolutely doing their due diligence with the major players. 

Apparently, Disney wanted to buy UFC in 2016 and then they didn't. So yeah.

Hey @TheVileOne, is Lorenzo still going to buy the Raiders?

• Haha 2

Shahid Khan buying WWE would be worth it just so we can get a photo of TK hugging Vince at the press conference with Vince making that sneering disgusted face he does.

Then the photo of TK hugging Triple H on his first day at TV.

More TK hugging people is essentially what I’m looking for out of all this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Shahid Khan buying WWE would be worth it just so we can get a photo of TK hugging Vince at the press conference with Vince making that sneering disgusted face he does.

Like when Mankind hugged Vince when he was hand selected to be the WWF champ? That would be awesome.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Ok but hear me out: The Khans buy WWE and then push Rampage back 2 hours for a special simulcast and Tony shows up at the top of the hour and says that Triple H is "Triple G, Triple O, Triple N, Triple E"

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

More TK hugging people is essentially what I’m looking for out of all this.

Could HHH do the worker point while Tony hugs??? Talk about a power struggle.

• Haha 2