DVDVR Message Board

Vince McMahon Returns to WWE

So it seems my hunch about the Saudis being a stalking horse was a *wee* bit off.

I guess I neglected to factor in the impact of decades of coke, early signs of dementia, and blatant sociopathy on the decision making process.

PGA has a TV deal that lasts until 2029 with CBS, NBC and ESPN. And an international deal with Warner Brothers. That leaves a few big names out of the mix. Maybe I am forgetting something f.

FOX is the biggest and as a corporate media entity they obviously have zero morals at all. They have a sports network that needs content. LIV has a bunch of the biggest names in golf. As shitty as the product seems like with its teams, people will still tune in to watch big names.

Fox can’t get the PGA until 2030. That is a long ways away and they already have NFL and baseball and a bunch of other entities. They aren’t afraid of the PGA Tour who will gladly take a check from them for a few billion 8 years from now.

SRS can't confrim. But Steven Muehlhausen did and the going private too stuff.

I don't think the Saudi's would want Steph as Co Ceo and on the board for obvious sexist reasons. There is only one woman left on the board.

I've watched wrestling since 5 and WWF was my first promotion, taking the good with the bad it's probably still my favourite promotion ever. I want to support the wrestlers too. However I don't think I can with Vince McMahon's official return and all that he's done. The morale must have dropped a ton after the progress Triple H had made in six months especially making the secondary titles mean something again. Those released by Vince and brought back by Papa H have to be particularly down. You know it will have stuck in Vince's craw the positive WOM WWE was getting away from that senior old man's shit booking, the wrestlers Vince fired rejoining WWE. Shit news to wake up to. Fuck Vince McMahon.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Dural said:

SRS can't confrim. But Steven Muehlhausen did and the going private too stuff.

I don't think the Saudi's would want Steph as Co Ceo and on the board for obvious sexist reasons. There is only one woman left on the board.

The board won't matter if the Saudis buy it and go private. That goes away, I believe.

29 minutes ago, Casey said:

Cassidy Haynes of Bodyslam tweeted out that he was told the Saudi deal is done and they're taking the company private.

Blood money.

That's Sami Zayn done for. Probably Kevin Owens as well.

Fuck this sucks.

Just now, NoFistsJustFlips said:

If this end up being confirmed.... holy shit. What the fuck.

I can imagine Sami is released per the demands of the new Saudi owners.

This is really going to fuck the whole business isn't it.

Just said the same thing at the same time as you on Sami Zayn. Great minds as the saying goes.

• Like 1

Also, I am going to hold off on thinking anything happened with a deal until a business outlet or a big Hollywood trade like Variety days so. I have no faith that the world of wrestling journalism is plugged in enough for this. I mean, maybe they are sourced enough but I am doubtful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9/11

20 years of Tribute to the Troops

Saudi Arabia

Fill in whatever words you feel best fit between those clauses.

In any case, I don't believe it until Meltzer or an entertainment trade reports it.

EDIT: Naturally, Gregg beat me to it.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 2

guessing the only wrestling promoters completely shameless enough to react to this by going full "my liquor store is AMERICAN OWNED, hint hint" are fairly small time

Not that I'm expecting Choose Your Narrative or Corgan's NWA to know if they can use the name "All-American Wrestling"

1 minute ago, Casey said:

The board won't matter if the Saudis buy it and go private. That goes away, I believe.

Yeah, there is no longer a board of directors as you would know it. 

If the Saudis buy the company, they are buying all of the shares at whatever price is being negotiated. It will no longer be available on the stock market. They own the company. They make money from any of the profits the company makes. They hire the management team.

A big investment pool buying a public company and taking it private is not uncommon. I actually write about these types of transactions for my paycheck. Things usually go the reverse direction (a private company goes public) but right now those dynamics have flipped for a few different reasons I will not vote you with. 

Managers of the funds that own privately held companies all have their own management techniques. Some will be more hands on than others. And a lot of times, even if a fund owns a company outright, there will still be a board of directors for that company. It’s just that their owner (an investment fund) has final say, so they kind of act more like an advisory committee then a publicly traded company, where the board of directors is voted on by shareholders and there are public disclosures and etc.

I am slowly convincing myself Vince is going to take the company private again and sell to the Saudis.  I mean, it’s the riskiest option.  It could alienate advertisers and potential tv partners.  But I can see Vince going that route because it gets Vince what he wants.

I have no idea if Stephanie and Nick Khan were looking to sell or not.  It’s feasible that was why Nick Khan was brought in in the first place.  Vince has had the company up for sale since 2015-ish “for the right offer” - which he didn’t get.   One theory is that Vince wants to sell the company but broker the sale himself in order to sell to someone who will leave him in charge, or at least promise that.  It’s possible that Vince doesn’t want the company sold without him because he’ll find himself locked out if a sale goes through while he’s exiled from the company.

’Course, the problem with getting this scenario is getting the buyer honor that agreement.  NBC Universal isn’t going to agree to leave Vince in power no matter what.  Sooner or later, something is going to go sideways.  Vince will prove too hard to deal with, damaging allegations about Vince will keep coming out, the new owners will want to cut costs, whatever.  It’s being heavily hinted that there are more damaging revelations about Vince out there, so selling to a tv partner or other corporate stakeholder May not keep Vince in control very long.  At the very least, a new owner is going to give Vince a lot less leeway.

That’s the appeal of going private.  It’s arguably easier to bury bad behavior when you’re not publicly traded.  Journalists and the public are a bit less interested, there’s less accountability, less paperwork.  Also the Saudis can probably afford to give Vince his asking price as soon as the contract is signed.  If I wanted to get my money asap, I’d sell to someone like the Saudis and stay away from a corporation like NBC U OR WBD.  Dealing with WVD probably nets me a deposit and a payment schedule that goes a few decades.

There’s also the matter of the Saudis maybe having more trouble finding someone to run the company than NBC would have.  Which makes Vince more indispensable.  

Anyway, I’m just spitballing.  The only one who really knows what the endgame is is Vince and his confidants.  Maybe he’s afraid Stephanie will crash the company.  Maybe he’s afraid she’ll succeed without him and dent his ego.  Maybe he doesn’t think of Stephanie at all and it’s just what he wants at the moment.  Who knows?  I don’t knowVince, obviously, but he doesn’t seem like someone who developed interests and relationships outside of work or put anything or anyone before his business, so maybe this is just his primal reptile brain kicking in to try to keep life meaningful.   

lol, Companies this large don’t operate like this and, after seeing this shit show, we all understand why.

Edited by Doc Townsend

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

So if I have this correct, the current  WWE Board of Directors is now Vincent K McMahon, Slick Nick Khan, 02-05 HHH, the Million Dollar Man, the Mayor of Knoxville, Rita Repulsa, Brother Love, and Mr Burns.

You forgot Skandar Akbar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Triple H says fuck it and leaves. Can't blame him.

It's fucking crazy to think but Cole, The Revival, Andrade etc are all 'his' guys arent they? Like, they fucking love him and Shawn from the NXT days.

Tony could do worse than give Hunter ROH and a 2 hour Youtube/development show every week and just let him go to work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SRS on the post-NXT show says that a lot of talent are very pissed off about even just the rumors of a sale to Saudi Arabia. Also kind of lines up with Cora Jade tweeting out "the view never changes". Which I mean she's basically a Punk/AJ Lee tribute act anyway, but still.

• Like 1

Re: Saudis being bad for business

There was a story that Zuffa (the previous owners of UFC) turned down a $5 billion dollar offer as opposed to the $4 billion they ended up getting. I wonder if that company was Saudi because they were stories that it was either going to be a Chinese conglomerate or big Saudi money. Then, WME entered the fray and that was all she wrote. I mean $5 billion was around their asking price.