DVDVR Message Board

THE LAST OF US (TV Show) - SPOILERS (for all mediums)

RIPPA

Part 3 isn’t in development, as far as we know. Druckman just convened the writer’s room for “a new game” last summer and hasn’t given any indication it’s TLOU-related. Standard development time on big budget AAA game is like 5 or 6 years these days, so if it is Part 3, you’re looking at 2027 at the earliest. If it isn’t…check back in the 2030’s.

You may be thinking of the TLOU: Factions multilayer game that was originally supposed to ship alongside Part 2 but has grown into its own game, and should be out at some point in the next two years. But that will have a separate storyline from the mainline TLOU. So maybe some material for a spin-off show.

if there isn’t a Part 3 of the game, I think I’m content with Ellie’s story the way it unfolded. Not everyone gets that happy ending. She had her moment of clarity at the end on the beach, and that’s enough. I don’t even know if I’d want to see Ellie go on the his big heroic arc trying to find the Firefiles or putting them back together, or whatever it may be. 

There might be more to tell with Abby, though. She’s a fresh character, I’d be into that.

Game 1 was about love. Game 2 was about hate. A third game would likely have a similar over-arching theme, and one that completes the journey. So in that sense a Game 3 theme about forgiveness would finish the story appropriately. Something like Ellie forgives Abby and seeks her out to restart The Fireflies, get that vaccine made / save mankind fits very neatly thematically. But that almost seems too neat for the tone of the series.

So next week is the American Dreams/Left Behind DLC stories, and the two weeks after that is meeting David and his group and then the final part of the game in the spring at SLC. That wraps everything up pretty nicely, I think.

Also I’m pretty sure that was Dina in the dinner hall towards the beginning! EDIT: Reddit says it might have been Cat, the community is split on it. The actress really looked like Dina, though.

Edited by Casey

She didn’t kill the rabbit. 0/10 I can’t watch this shit anymore they’re changing too much.

EDIT: I'm just takin' the piss out of you obviously, but I do kind of agree with your opinion. It doesn't bother me too much, but I also would have preferred it. I don't think it really changes much though - the end result is still going to be the same.

Although: with the series apparently approaching 30mil average viewers across the season thus far, beating out stuff like S7 of GoT and House of the Dragon as a whole, I'm kind of worried now that Part 2 isn't going to be what it should. Hopefully Mazin has a lot of pull there and sees the value in the story already told and pushes for it to stay largely the same. Joel's death is essential to Part 2, that entire story doesn't work if he lives.

Edited by Casey

14 hours ago, Casey said:

EDIT: I'm just takin' the piss out of you obviously, but I do kind of agree with your opinion. It doesn't bother me too much, but I also would have preferred it. I don't think it really changes much though - the end result is still going to be the same.

Oh, yeah, the end result doesn't change at all.  I think what bothered me is taking away the in-the-moment nature of Joel charging in and having to pull her off of David instead of just coming along while she's still in shock after the whole steakhouse incident.  

1 minute ago, worldcupfever said:

Oh, yeah, the end result doesn't change at all.  I think what bothered me is taking away the in-the-moment nature of Joel charging in and having to pull her off of David instead of just coming along while she's still in shock after the whole steakhouse incident.  

I just watched this last night and thought something similar if not the same thing. Like, going into this episode, in my head I imagined Joel busting into the restaurant, grabbing Ellie, and then looking back at David with a look of pure horror and then sadness on his face. I wanted to see a look of, oh no, something has snapped inside this girl I've come to love like a daughter and am I the cause for that?

Ultimately, there's still a sense of that just seeing the blood splattered on Ellie's face, but the scene or moment played out a lot differently in my head.

It felt like this episode had the most dialogue lifted directly from the game. David was perfect. In fact, the whole mood was really perfect. Only other thing I would change outside of the ending would be showing injured Joel murking more dudes giving us some the hunter is now the hunted type stuff.

Really curious to see what they do with the finale and I'm even more curious to see if they'll make the biggest change for next season...

Spoiler

And not kill off Joel.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I just watched this last night and thought something similar if not the same thing. Like, going into this episode, in my head I imagined Joel busting into the restaurant, grabbing Ellie, and then looking back at David with a look of pure horror and then sadness on his face. I wanted to see a look of, oh no, something has snapped inside this girl I've come to love like a daughter and am I the cause for that?

Ultimately, there's still a sense of that just seeing the blood splattered on Ellie's face, but the scene or moment played out a lot differently in my head.

It felt like this episode had the most dialogue lifted directly from the game. David was perfect. In fact, the whole mood was really perfect. Only other thing I would change outside of the ending would be showing injured Joel murking more dudes giving us some the hunter is now the hunted type stuff.

Really curious to see what they do with the finale and I'm even more curious to see if they'll make the biggest change for next season...

Hide contents

And not kill off Joel.

Spoiler

I really don't think they'll make that change.  There's enough flashback material that you can still have Pascal around for a while.

• Like 1

Finale spoilers possibly maybe from a well known leaker:

Spoiler

Supposedly Joel’s kill count is over 10, and we don’t meet Abby at all like some online have speculated.

I’d be impressed with that first part given that the finale is something like 42 minutes long. 

• Like 1

Laura Bailey! Ashley Johnson! You love to see it.

Joel is fuckin’ dead next season, man. I can’t wait to see the casting for Abby too.

Great season. Probably the most faithful adaptation of a video game ever, movie or TV.  Some people will have nitpicks about them changing small things, or not having something from the game, or having hardly any infected. But I’m fine with all of that. Enjoyable ride all the way through (didn’t really care for the Left Behind interlude episode, but I get why it was there).

Season 2 now, please.

• Like 4

This makes me wrestle with the thought of what would I have done all over again. As a father, I don’t think I could sacrifice my daughter as selfish as that sounds. I would at least be honest with her though and that’s where the ending to the game and the show could have been different. You tell her you love her like a daughter and they were going to have to kill her without any guarantee that a cure or vaccine would even work and they didn’t want to explore any other way of producing a cure other than killing her. Joel already lost one daughter, he couldn’t lose another and that’s why he did what he did. Just be honest with Ellie. That’s all he had to do.

• Like 1

Not only would a vaccine not be a sure thing, but through the season it's been made clear that getting an infection is kinda the least of people's issues. Taking spores out of this universe makes the cordyceps far less of a threat and thus reduces the "save the world" angle of a vaccine.

People are the issue.

If you run into a clicker, you're just dead. Same with a bloater. If you stumble outside a QZ and into some of the runner types then the infection is a side effect if you manage to not have your throat gouged out or head ripped off.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 2

I know that fiction never really displays childbirth accurately but good Lord, that was fairly ridiculous. It was also already weird watching Ellie give birth to Ellie, so to speak.

Murder rampage Joel in full effect, next season should be interesting to say the least. Really liked this, as did my wife who has never played the game.

YES. The final episode of the podcast gets into how this episode is really just the trolly problem, which I was hoping someone would bring up. Again, my main fault is not sacrificing Ellie or saving her, it's just not telling her the truth and if Joel did, I think Ellie would have found some pain in it, but I think should would have understood.

My only other problem with the season were the two episodes with Melanie Lynskey. She performed it well, but I don't think the character made a ton of sense, it didn't make sense that she could lead this entire city when she's honestly pretty dumb and emotional, and I think that time we spent with her took away from maybe something that could have been better. For example, I think you could have had Joel, Ellie, Henry, and Sam in the sewers and had more character development there along with tense moments of running into infected. Regardless, this season of TV was a winner and I'm honestly fine with the amount of infected or action content we had. I saw some stuff online where a lot of people were complaining about the lack of action and Mazin and Druckman responding to that by saying there would be more action in season 2. My initial reaction was, "nooooooooo, ugh, it doesn't need more action."

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Finally caught up and still think the show is amazing.  It seems like only yesterday that Bella Ramsey was on GoT playing Lyanna Mormont and standing in Stark's castle proclaiming Jon Snow as the King in the North and calling his vassals a bunch of bitches for not answering the call.  Bella has triumphantly returned to an HBO series and is more badass than ever.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I finally got around to watching this (thanks, Amazon free trial) and man, it hit what it had to and hit it a long ways.  It doesn't seem like the explanation for Ellie's immunity is something directly connected to the games, but man, is it even worse science than the number of enormous leaps it would take for something like cordyceps to infect people.  Birth is a pretty arbitrary concept if you're thinking purely of development and host/parasite interactions on an organism-by-organism basis.  But that's one of my only gripes, and probably because it's fresher than earlier episodes (and because I understand too much about the scientific end of things to not call 'bullshit').  And they totally ripped it off from Blade.

I still don't know if Pedro or Bella were the "right" castings in my head, but the more I think about it, I don't know if there would ever be exemplary choices.  They don't 'look' right because the games are too well-directed to ever be supplanted by something live-action. But Pedro got the brittle, broken "forward or else" guy down, and Bella got the mask of rage down, so it's hard to complain.  And while I already knew about Troy popping up due to a couple of Youtube interviews, I screamed like a little girl for Ashley appearing.  So fucking glad for that.

But hey, since I'm done watching this, and since I have gaming time available after beating Demon's Souls on PS3 (why, when I can't stand the Souls games?  Because fuck you, that's why), I have time to dive into Part 2 and be traumatized by these characters all over again! ...Or not.  Not yet, at least.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Kaitlyn Dever has been announced as playing Abby in season 2 (and beyond). She's a good facial lookalike, but she's not anywhere near Abby's physique just now.

Now perhaps Season 2 of the show will mostly be depicting the flashbacks from TLOU2, only in chronological order, and being a bridging season, and so she won't need to get super jacked until season 3. Perhaps they'll be using wardrobe choices to make her look bigger. Or perhaps it'll just be a chaacter who doesn't physical resemble her game counterpart.