DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 1/9 - 1/15/2023

Dolfan in NYC

It's Baron Corbin!  VINCE IS BACK!  Kevin Owens should have a good match with him.  I'm assuming that not everybody has the sports bar set-up that I have, where I can watch two big screen TVs at once, THUS I can watch Georgia beat the living dogshit out of TCU while lightly fast forwarding through a lot of RAW.  I'm wondering if they are counting on no one watching and are rolling out a placekeeper episode.  WWE has enough good wrestlers to have a good episode of WWE RAW Elevation.  SWANTON by Owens!  Corbin looks good in this for how short it was.  POSTMATCH!  JIMMY AND JEY ATTACK!  SOLO SIKOA JOINS IN!  Owens beats then over the back with a steel chair!  Alexa Bliss is the face of evil!  It's Bayley!  It's Mia Yim!  This should be good.  SWANKY Suplex on the floor by Bayley!  Nice tope by Yim!  Nice German Suplex by Yim!  Bayley CHEATS!  And wins!  That was fine.  Candice LeRae and Rhea Ripley are wrestling.  That's random but both are good.  Will Ripley assume her role as the female VADER?  Yeah, she is overpowering LeRae.  LeRae starts her babyface comeback with a big Suplex off the second rope!  Ripley cuts her off and CRUSHES her with a Riptide.  That was very squashy!  The Hurt Business is ALMOST back!  Solo Sikoa takes on Dolph Ziggler?  This is RAW Elevation.  Anyway, will Dolph go all BattlARTS?  We can only hope.  Sikoa WRECKS EM!  It's a night to squash the lower midcard!  Dolph gets in some more stuff to make this not quite a squash.  SAMOAN SPIKE!  That was pretty good.  It's a tagteam elimination thingy.  Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows start off against Finn Balor and Damien Priest.  The crowd is not enthused.  This is perfectly fine.  The ref screws up a spot where he was supposed to grab Balor's leg.  Finn gets the pin after Dominick CHEATS!  Hurt Business comes in!  Cedric Alexander hits a Tope!  Alexander looks GREAT.  Shelton Benjamin goes Total Steiner!  Balor makes the pin and out come the Alpha Academy!  Nasty looking Released Falcon Arrow by Damien Priest as Chad Gable is making everyone look like a million bucks.  I love Scared Straight Dominick.  Otis is a bowling ball!  Otis does the Worm!  Priest pins Otis after Otis accidentally crushes Gable and Balor!  Dominick takes Balor's place after Balor has busted up ribs!  The Street Profits, Angelo Dawkins and Montez Ford, enter the fray!  They are beating the PEE out of Dominick!  Big Beel by Angelo Dawkins on Dominick!  Who finally makes the tag.  Damien Priest has looked good in this whole thing.  Priest hits the POUNCE in the POUNCE ZONE on Ford!  Angelo Dawkins then hits a Tope into the POUNCE ZONE!  Dawkins is fun flopping around while taking a beating.  Dominick procures a Chinlock!  This isn't the greatest wrestling crowd in the Wrestleverse.  Dawkins hits a Back Elbow and the crowd comes alive!  Ford is a house a-fire!  Dominick kicks out of two pretty beautiful double team manuveurs!  MICE Lariat by Priest FOR TWO!  FORD HITS A CRAZY ASSED TOPE CON HILO OVER THE TOP TURNBUCKLE!  DOMINICK CHEATS TO WIN!  That was a fun way to end a pretty limp episode of RAW.  Montez Ford is spectacular.

• Like 3

KO/Baron was decent. Dug the post match attack by Bloodline.

Mia/Bayley was solid.

Rhea/Candice was a good competitive squash.

The Theory/Rollins/Lashley segment was fine.

Hurt Business seems to slowly be coming back together which is nice.

Unfortunately my DVR fucked up massively and I missed everything until the last match of tag team turmoil. Profits vs. Priest/Dom built into something solid though the crowd kind of sucked.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

The Uncle Howdy stuff just gets worse every week, dude just stood in front of a white screen doing a load of hand gestures-oooohhh spoooky. Papa H needs to put all this stuff in a wooden crate and send it off to NXT. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The Alexa stuff is, thankfully, only the first 30 seconds then we get to the important things - Shelton Benjamin and Cedric Alexander

Also Cathy Kelly is the best "I don't know if you heard while you were laying on the floor..."

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dog said:

With all deference to the Chrisleys and their felonies, Barmageddon has to be the worst follow-up to Raw in the show's 30-year history.

We need a "Rise and Fall of Carson Daly" doc.

Daly shaking what I assume is an empty shaker while wearing a butcher's apron to start the show is one of my favorite things currently on TV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I FFWD in and find myself with a nice little bout between Owens and the solid/underrated Corbin. I yawn for the Usos. I like the desk as a set-up for interviews, and somehow I didn't FFWD Bliss. Ha, I would hate this Bray Wyatt nonsense if I were inclined to watch live (ever). That said, I'm thankful to Bray/WWE creative for these bad film school ideas to FFWD passed. More time for Bayley whom never ceases to impress. Nice win over lame duck Yim. Mia's a good hand tho. Speaking of lame duck good hands, Gargano, LeRae. I love Rhea, but found my attention elsewhere during this bout with the Pixie Lady. Is it a prerequisite to be on TV (AEW included) for the Women's Division performers to dye their hair multiple shitty colors? Oh man, Rollins and Theory in a long ass talk segment. Hahaha, nope! Just gonna FFWD on by, and I certainly don't need to see another Cody video. Lots to skim passed this week. Dolph Ziggler is an exceptionally talented jobber. On the bad hair theme, Dolph tops any of the ladies with that aging rockstar reunion hairdoo. I love watching Dolph get his ass handed to him, by a rising star behemoth like Solo Sikoa. Love that Powerbomb position lead into the Spike finish. I'd really love it if JONAH got to be the WALTER of Raw! Tag Team Turmoil reveals WWE's tag division is more than a little light, and more than a little stale. Good Bros don't quite work as babyfaces. Cedric Alexander looked really good here - as he always does. I welcome a Benjamin/Cedric team to this *fart sound* tag division, but this isn't exactly a great start. Even tho he's treated as enhancement talent, I always get the impression from watching Chad Gable that he is potentially the best wrestler in the world. Otis is no slouch either. Speaking of not slouches, Priest looked good in this. Dominick continues to impress while taking his trademark 'a good assbeating' . Montez Ford and Dawkins are both awesome. And clearly both are victims of a really stale and kinda poorly booked tag division. That Ford leap over the post was awesome, and would have made a nice finish with the 450 that followed. Gladly that wasn't the case as I have no interest in another Usos-Street Profits match. Haha, Damien Priest posing and grunting towards the Usos. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Tag Team Turmoil reveals WWE's tag division is more than a little light, and more than a little stale.

New Day, Usos, Imperium, Street Profits, Alpha Academy, Legado Del Fantasma, & Viking Raiders are all good-great with other teams being generally solid or still growing/building. The issue is the brand split and long Usos champs run has made things stale. I love the Usos, but they really should have lost the belts to the Profits last year with VR taking them a few months later.

Another new era for WWE soon. 

Vince is the only real Mcmahon left working for WWE (again). I didn't really expect Vince to really retire, dude's a workaholic until his possible death in 2031. I think maybe he might go after the President role this time around instead of CEO. Or maybe not.

He did his own worked retirement and unretiment like Wrestlers do. 

• Haha 1

It's Tony D'Angelo versus Dijak!  This is fun!  D'Angelo is the Secret New Japan Strong dude!  Dijak is the Secret Member of House of Torture!  I am baffled by Stack's shirt.  I thought he taped up his shoulders.  Dijak beats on Stacks while we are in picture in picture and beats on Tony and applies a CRAVATE~!  YESS!  MAn, he maintains the Cravate for like three minutes.  Nice Spinebuster by Tony.  Dijak hits his finisher, HIGH JUSTICE, a variation on a Tiger Driver.  Dijak wins with a Yakuza Kick!  CHONOMANIA!  Jinder Mahal and Sanga destroy the Creed Brothers!  Pretty Deadly are AMAZING with curlers in their hair!  PUT THE BELTS BACK ON THEM, VINCE!  NEW ROCKERS!  Pretty Deadly wins!  OH NO!  The New Day RUIN the gauntlet matches!  I WANT THE NEW NEW BLACKJACKS!  Instead, Enofe and Blade are all spectacular hitting a DEUL Tope Con Hilo!  Pretty Deadly are so awesome as chickenshit devious heels.  They are also awesome as Fabulous Ones ass stompers.  They transition between the two while we are in picture in picture as they stomp on Blade.    Nice matching Spinebusters by Enofe!  Pretty Deadly cuts him off and we get a second heat segment!  GREAT thing where Blade makes a secret tag and allows Enofe to take a SUPERPLEX to hit a Love Machine Splash on Elton!  Elton recovers and they roll up each other until Elton pins Blade!  HOLY SHIT! GALLUS IS BACK!  Well, this got GREAT.  Wolfgang CRUSHES Kit and that's THAT!  It's Bron Breakker and Grayson Waller!  Waller applies a CRAVATE~!  Steiner goes Steiner on Waller and he IS Scotty Steiner's nephew.  Breakker busts up the second rope so we go to picture in picture and Waller and Breakker beat each other up around the ring while the ring dudes fix the ropes.   That was fastest a ring rope has ever been repaired.  Breakker does some mat wrestling.  He IS Rick Steiner's son.  Fun nearfall as Waller hits a running V TRIGGER!  Waller breaks the ring again and gets counted out.  That was anticlimactic.  It's Hank Walker!  It's Charlie Dempsey!  Nice Shoulderbreaker by Walker.  Awkward bump to the floor.  NASTY Dragonscrew by Dempsey.  They go totally UWF!  Walker applies the Cross Arm Breaker and Dempsey counters into a Volk Han-ish submission for the win!  That was good.  Jinder Mahal!  I totally missed the whole Mahal As Champion outrage.  This would be the first time I've seen him wrestle.  He is bouncing all over the ring for Julius Creed early.  He looks good in picture in picture.  Cool SUPERPLEX by Creed!  Mahal wrestles like a classis WWF heavyweight.  Mahal hits a Jumping Knee!  SWEET Suplex by Creed!  SWEET INVERTED SUPLEX by Creed! Julius Creed is awesome!  Another Yakuza Kick and Mahal hits a Cobra Clutch Slam for the win!  That was good.  Annnnnnd it's a battle royal.  Cora Jade is immediately eliminated!  Lash Legend is the hoss in the match!  Sol Ruca is a FREAK!  OH NO!  Indi eliminates Legend!  We are hossless!  Zoe Stark does a Lex Luger Gorilla Slam to eliminate...someone!  That was impressive!  Alba Fyre versus Perez would be good.  Isla Dawn would be better but I don't see her.  Oh there's Wendy Choo!  Indi Harwell is eliminated!  There goes Wendy!  Nikitta Lyons is most spectacular elimination, which is unexpected!  Oh Valkeria Stone is in this.  It comes down to Gigi Dolin and Jaycey Jane!  They are simultaneously eliminated!  REF FIGHT!  Oh, they are going to instant replay!  It's a tie!  Oh Jesus, a battle royal to set up a triple threat match.  Geez.  That was a fun little episode of NXT.

• Like 3

Pretty Deadly are a couple of my favorite acts on WWE TV right now. Just fantastic.

They're doing a great build to Enofe finally revealing his WWE tattoo to the world. That pop is going to be massive. 

Don't know why they needed to do a rope-breaking angle to set up a PLE match. That was actually pretty dangerous with Waller standing on the rope. He falls the wrong way and his ankle is snapped in half.

Sol Ruca does funny things to my body.

• Like 1

Tony/Dijak was pretty solid. Was surprised Tony got in as much as he did. 

Pretty Deadly running the gauntlet was fine. The Enofe/Blade match was the only real match and mostly nice. The first and last were more story bits, but they worked well. Thoguht it was a good way to bring back Gallus.

Bron/Waller was building into something until the finish which was awkward  but kind of worked at the same time. Was obviously a setup for a rematch at Vengeance Day which I'm ok with. Waller deserved a shot in a bigger arena than the CWC.

Dempsey/Walker was pretty darn fun. Love Walker besting out some submissions and escaping Dempsey a few times. Really pushed the idea of Gulak's training coming through even Walker didn't get the win in the end. 

Was disappointed Indus Sheer vs. Creeds didn't go down, but Jinder/Julius was almost surprisingly good stuff. Junfer in NXT feels weird, but I do like him aligning with Sanga and Veer.

The battle royal turned out pretty fun with no major flubs and some nice eliminations throughout. The ending with Gigi and Jacey was interesting. Kind of surprised they are actually going with a triple threat for Vengeance Day.

• Like 1

We got Shawn Michaels having to settle a controversy stemming from a broken rope incident, on the same night they run a Rockers gag in the tag match!  (Totally popped at first when the music hit thinking we'd get a Marty appearance)

Welcome back Jinder Mahal, thrilled to see him finally used for something meaningful again at least.

Loving the nxt womens' division so the main event ruled. Big fan of Lyra Valkyrie, while I knew she wouldn't/shouldn't win just to be the first challenger to Roxanne, I was glad she got to look great on the way and start a nice new feud too. Lots of other favorites all around Zoey, Alba, Indi, etc. Saw the ending coming and it totally made sense, I just wish they would've just gone ahead and chose to do that themselves rather than creating needless dissension between the two. Regardless, I like both Jacy & Gigi a lot and them challenging Roxanne together is a perfectly logical next step. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

New Day, Usos, Imperium, Street Profits, Alpha Academy, Legado Del Fantasma, & Viking Raiders are all good-great with other teams being generally solid or still growing/building. The issue is the brand split and long Usos champs run has made things stale. I love the Usos, but they really should have lost the belts to the Profits last year with VR taking them a few months later.

If the argument is the combined weight of the division is not at all light then I grant you the point. The brand split has been a thing for far too long to really work as an excuse for any booking shortcomings. BUILD SOME TEAMS ALREADY! I don't love the Usos no matter how well they are protected/featured. I especially despise their lame catchphrases. In ring they're totally fine, but I don't (enjoy) buy(ing) them as the world beaters they're booked as. New Day is the definition of stale. Legados have not been impressive in anything I've seen. Lots of upside with the Vikings, but then they are being protrayed as Vikings, so...? Alphas are awesome, but clearly a enhancement team. As good as the Street Profits are they are barely positioned as a serious threat. I like Imperium, and would welcome them on top. I have no idea who else there is that they are building up and/or are solid. All that said, the issue isn't with talent, it's the positioning and booking of the division. The Usos have already had their mediocre (to sorta good) matches with everybody. At this point the builds to any serious matches are all with singles wrestlers combined. Hence Dominick Mysterio and Damien Priest as the number 1 contenders. Tho, at least they are members of a faction who combine in six mans etc. 

On 1/10/2023 at 7:48 AM, peterien said:

The Uncle Howdy stuff just gets worse every week, dude just stood in front of a white screen doing a load of hand gestures-oooohhh spoooky. Papa H needs to put all this stuff in a wooden crate and send it off to NXT. 

In light of recent events I would like to retract this comment. The Uncle Howdy stuff (even though I think it’s poor) is ten times better than whatever Vince and his buddies decide to do with Bray and this. 

Catching up on RAW's lately and is there a particular reason why Dakota Kai is extra tweaking now?  I mean in the end of her time in NXT she was supposed to be crazy.  But she is more wired and jittery than a 10 year old on his 4th can of BANG energy drink.  

2 hours ago, peterien said:

In light of recent events I would like to retract this comment. The Uncle Howdy stuff (even though I think it’s poor) is ten times better than whatever Vince and his buddies decide to do with Bray and this. 

You mean fire him again?

I actually have an offline friend who loves Bray and used to constantly text me Fiend shit. He was so excited when Bray came back, but he hasn’t said a word to me about this Uncle Howdy shit in over a month.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

I'm still wondering whether the rope was gimmicked or the ref really did call an audible on the finish to the Breakker match. Waller is supposed to be a Social Media Influencer, right? All these 2.0 stereotype gimmicks (high school pep squad, male models, Mafia bozo, pop country guys... I'm surprised Hit Row aren't still over here to fill a hole) are almost at a WOW level of goofiness. 

Anyway, I came for a Charlie Dempsey match and I got my Charlie Dempsey match. Back bridge Dragon Screw FTW! We are gonna end up with Breakker/Dempsey (read: Steiner/Regal) one of these days and it's gonna rule. 

Couldn't believe Jinder's back. Him coming back along with Vince is telling. The Creed brother looked like he lost a tooth so of course Jinder ripped at his jaw.