DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/11/2023

The Natural

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

The path with MJF is to use truths. I'd be much more interested in hearing something like:

"Takeshita, huh? Everyone's real excited about you. They were excited about Muta too. Excited about Kabuki. Excited about Liger. Excited about Nakamura. Guess what none of them ever did? They never won the big one. Never won the championship here in a major US wrestling promotion like I did. And you'll never do it." Then knock the fans for blindly liking Japanese wrestling and put over the fact he's the champ and that means him and his style of wrestling is the best and they're all sheep, etc. etc.. 

There are ways to be edgy, to play to history and insider-ness, and still make it work kayfabe. 

Ahem.  The Great Muta held BOTH the NWA World Title and he beat STING to win the NWA TV Title. Here is all the titles Kabuki held in the US:

Spoiler
xx.11.1986 - xx.12.1986 NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Champion ? Matches
22.04.1985 - 04.07.1986 WCWA Brass Knuckles Champion (2x) 438 days Matches
23.05.1983 - 24.11.1983 NWA Television Champion 185 days Matches
14.01.1983 - 25.03.1983 NWA Texas Brass Knuckles Champion 70 days Matches
03.01.1983 - 07.02.1983 World Class World Television Champion 35 days Matches
25.09.1981 - 26.12.1981 NWA American Heavyweight Champion 92 days Matches
xx.10.1981 - 07.12.1981 Mid-South Louisiana Champion ? Matches
12.07.1981 - 25.10.1981 NWA World Tag Team Champion (with Chang Chung) 105 days Matches
21.06.1980 - 14.08.1980 NWA Central States Tag Team Champion (2x) (as Takachiho; with Killer Karl Kox) 54 days Matches
17.04.1980 - 18.06.1980 NWA Central States Tag Team Champion (as Takachiho; with Pak Song) 62 days Matches
14.06.1979 - 21.07.1979 NWA Western States Tag Team Champion (2x) (as Mr. Kiyomoto; with Mr. Sato) 37 days Matches
xx.04.1979 - 03.05.1979 NWA Western States Tag Team Champion (as Akihisa Takachiho; with Ricky Romero) ? Matches
xx.01.1979 - 30.01.1979 NWA Florida United States Tag Team Champion (2x) (as Mr. Sato; with Mr. Saito) ? Matches
xx.xx.1978 - xx.xx.1978 NWA Florida United States Tag Team Champion (as Mr. Sato; with Mr. Saito) ? Matches
xx.09.1978 - 23.09.1978 NWA Florida Tag Team Champion (2x) (as Mr. Sato; with Mr. Saito) ? Matches
xx.03.1978 - 13.06.1978 NWA Florida Tag Team Champion (as Mr. Sato; with Mr. Saito) ? Matches

Here are the titles Nakamura has held in the US:

Spoiler
Duration Details
13.08.2021 - 11.02.2022 WWE Intercontinental Champion (2x) (as King Nakamura) 182 days Matches
19.07.2020 - 09.10.2020 WWE SmackDown Tag Team Champion (with Cesaro) 82 days Matches
14.07.2019 - 31.01.2020 WWE Intercontinental Champion 201 days Matches
27.01.2019 - 29.01.2019 WWE United States Champion (2x) 2 days Matches
15.07.2018 - 18.12.2018 WWE United States Champion 156 days Matches
03.12.2016 - 28.01.2017 WWE NXT Champion (2x) 56 days Matches
20.08.2016 - 19.11.2016 WWE NXT Champion 91 days Matches

HA! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

I thought they would've done it the same way as Saraya herself debuted with a post-match save for the big pop. (Debuted Sept. 21 but didn't actually wrestle until November 19th)

Although Sasha/Mercedes doesn’t have the “can she really bump without her neck dissolving into dust” stigma that Saraya had.

• Like 1

Loved, loved, loved Dynamite. Everything about it I loved. Before I even talk about anything that happened in ring, I thought the actual "look" of the photography for the show was new, different, and really freaking good. It still had a glossy, HD look, but there was something different to the look where it almost had this film/movie look to it. I felt that really added to the show. Either that, or it looked the same to everyone else and my TV got an update I wasn't aware of and changed some settings. The walls along the ring looked cool. And that crowd was like the extra person in each match. Dynamite has been on a damn near legendary run of shows with ultra hot crowds and this dates back to, what, maybe a week after Full Gear? So from pre-Thanksgiving on they've been out of this world.

Glad they opened with Moxley vs Hangman beating the shit out of each other. HANGMAN IS A MAN DAMMIT AND HE WILL KNOCK YOU THE FUCK OUT! Someone in the booth must have gotten a little worried Hangman was gonna do another "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT MOTHERFUCKER?!" because when he popped up and got in Mox's face the entire audio went silent. Loved Hangman coming out as the better man and showing he can put ultimate tough guy, Jon Moxley, out.

ADAM COLE BAY BAY! Now that was a good surprise. I had been so worried about him because he's been gone for about forever. Now the big risk is to see what happens when he's back in a ring, but I think he'll be ok there too. I know just recently he had been training Chris Denker (YouTube guy who does videos for all of the wrestling games) in the ring so I figured a return to AEW was a matter of finding a story for him.

Paul Walter Hauser, serious actor, is still something I'm getting used to. I think the next weirdest thing would be seeing Badger from Breaking Bad as a serious actor and winning awards. This was the one segment from Dynamite I didn't like though, and only because there subtly doing this dissension among the ranks thing with the Best Friends.

Look, I get the criticism for MJF's promo, but the crowd was super hot and I took it as MJF not really needing to try that hard to get heat from the audience. Takeshita telling MJF to kiss his ass and then the match with Danielson was outstanding. And then next week we get Danielson vs Bandido?! Holy shit. Is there going to be anything of Danielson left by the time he gets to MJF? This is feeling like Danielson getting through a bunch of dream opponents before he calls it a career.

I'm not sure why people are having a hard time wrapping their brains around this whole angle with Saraya and company. It seems like they're obviously positioning Saraya as the heel, not Shida or Storm, while JAMIE MOTHERFUCKIN HAYTER and Britt get to finally be full fledged faces. BTW, have I mentioned how much I adore everything Hayter does? As bummed as I was that Kris' knee blew up, it did give us this Hayter run, which is maybe my favorite run by a women's champion in AEW. 

HOOK DID IT! HE THREW BIG BILL AROUND LIKE HE WAS 7 FOOT NOTHIN'. That ruled so hard. HOOK RULES THE FUCKING WORLD! And look, yeah, it sucks that the ball was somewhat dropped with Wardlow and he needs to be repackaged, but Hook is right here to pick up the scraps.

All I wanted from the main event was no one to die and not only did no one die, but it felt like the match was a total sprint with everyone hitting their shit perfectly. It was the best video game pro wrestling match ever.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Being wrong gets him more heat! It got me some.

Actually, you were only wrong on Muta (and seriously, by the time he won the NWA World Title, it was below secondary to WCW's)

You were right about everyone else never winning the BIG belt.  

14 hours ago, zendragon said:

Tony faking us out by making us thing he was introducing MJF was nice

Yeah, but it was also totally within his character, as he has not gotten along with Cole since his arrival, due to the Britt friendship.

• Like 2

Amazing how when you build up and protect Wrestler A with win after win after win for years, it means a whole bunch when Wrestler B beats him clean as a sheet. Huh.

Agreed about "Take-a-shit-a" being low hanging fruit. But they could've saved it by having Soup ask MJF if he knew what "Emm Jay Eff" meant in Japanese... cover both mics... and then just whisper something in MJF's ear to make him sell it like crazy. And then NEVER have him reveal what it was.

Along similar lines, Andretti's material was good but his delivery needs work. After Jericho started going in on him going back to the minors, I was waiting for Andretti to say something like "shut up before I pin you again, Dad." 

Everyone is sleeping like itsy bitsy babies on the Bucks rocking SHAQNOSIS! Up there with the Big Hurt shoes for my money.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Log said:

MJF is like Bob Dylan to me. Everyone rages about Dylan's lyrics (MJF's promo ability), and that's good and all, but I really am more impressed with what he does musically (in-ring).

I thought Punk chasing MJF all over the building in that six man was actually great pro wrestling. so few modern wrestlers will commit to fully wrestling heel. Everyone just gets their high spots in

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

I could go for Yuta trying to get revenge for MOX on Hangman.

its nice when the prowrestling show sticks to ts own logic isn't it

• Like 4

I couldn't tell if everyone in the JAS promo was yelling into the mic because the acoustics in The Forum were horrible and they couldn't hear themselves, or because they've been partying nonstop since the PWG show and they all lost their voices

Edited by Dolphman 3000

19 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I thought Punk chasing MJF all over the building in that six man was actually great pro wrestling. so few modern wrestlers will commit to fully wrestling heel. Everyone just gets their high spots in

Oh yeah. That's one of the things I love about MJF: he knows when to get his heat, and when not to. His instincts are top-notch.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, but it was also totally within his character, as he has not gotten along with Cole since his arrival, due to the Britt friendship.

You'll know that Cole has officially gone face when he has a moment with Tony and says something like "I know we haven't gotten along, but Britt says you're cool" and then fistbumps him or something

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

The path with MJF is to use truths. I'd be much more interested in hearing something like:

"Takeshita, huh? Everyone's real excited about you. They were excited about Muta too. Excited about Kabuki. Excited about Liger. Excited about Nakamura. Guess what none of them ever did? They never won the big one. Never won the championship here in a major US wrestling promotion like I did. And you'll never do it." Then knock the fans for blindly liking Japanese wrestling and put over the fact he's the champ and that means him and his style of wrestling is the best and they're all sheep, etc. etc.. 

There are ways to be edgy, to play to history and insider-ness, and still make it work kayfabe. 

That's a better promo than what MJF could come up with. I didn't watch the latest promo/video on YouTube with MJF because I'm at the 'waiting until TK sees the ratings take a dump with MJF and pulls the title off of him' phase. MJF would be great doing a show at a gym in Sherman Oaks CA with 100 people at this point. He's just not ready nor will he ever be.

Jeff Jarrett blasted Max Caster on his podcast and said his trainers at Create A Pro were terrible but maybe he should have lumped MJF in there too (unless MJF is being all buddy buddy with Jarrett which is blinding him).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Jarrett's a heel with no issue with MJF. He was also responding to what would be the obvious retort people would have to him talking shit about Create A Pro. Made perfect sense to me. 

Oh I know. Maybe Jarrett can restart Global Force Wrestling and take MJF with him and take Ronda Rousey too so I don't have to see all three on TV anymore.

1 minute ago, Andrew POE! said:

That's a better promo than what MJF could come up with. I didn't watch the latest promo/video on YouTube with MJF because I'm at the 'waiting until TK sees the ratings take a dump with MJF and pulls the title off of him' phase. MJF would be great doing a show at a gym in Sherman Oaks CA with 100 people at this point. He's just not ready nor will he ever be.

Jeff Jarrett blasted Max Caster on his podcast and said his trainers at Create A Pro were terrible but maybe he should have lumped MJF in there too (unless MJF is being all buddy buddy with Jarrett which is blinding him).

You would have preferred MJF cut a promo full of factual inaccuracies?

The cool heel is a lame archetype that needs to be excised from wrestling. The NWO was novel and interesting in the late 90’s but not anymore. Heels should be obnoxious, annoying, and you should be itching for them to get their asses kicked.

But if he does go to Sherman Oaks, hopefully he takes the Young Bucks with him. Since they clearly don’t draw ratings, have matches with contrived spots that make a mockery of the rules, have terrible off and on selling, and turn Kenny Omega (who like him or not is a star in Japan) into a goober on American television. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

You would have preferred MJF cut a promo full of factual inaccuracies?

The cool heel is a lame archetype that needs to be excised from wrestling. The NWO was novel and interesting in the late 90’s but not anymore. Heels should be obnoxious, annoying, and you should be itching for them to get their asses kicked.

But if he does go to Sherman Oaks, hopefully he takes the Young Bucks with him. Since they clearly don’t draw ratings, have matches with contrived spots that make a mockery of the rules, have terrible off and on selling, and turn Kenny Omega (who like him or not is a star in Japan) into a goober on American television. 

I prefer MJF to go away forever and cut promos to no one, so if he cuts a promo full of factual inaccuracies that speeds it up even better.