DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/11/2023

The Natural

59 minutes ago, Casey said:

Not entirely sure if Mox and Hangman are going to have this program stretched out until Revolution, but it feels like it might conclude with a Last Man Standing match or something, so Wednesday's match doesn't need to go very long.

The IRL events have somewhat conspired to put themselves into a corner re the outcome has to be Hangman proving himself in some way to Mox, otherwise it just sits somewhere between neutering Hangman all together and a defining difference between Mox as the real top guy and Hangman as not-quite-there. 

I think in theory, re-doing the Mox/Punk match with Hangman going over Mox in like a minute is a good way to go, so you've got both guys now looking to recapture lost pride and prove themselves to one another with another match down the road. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am looking forward to the Hikaru Shida heel turn during the Hayter / Baker vs. Storm / Saraya match.

I can see Saraya/Toni Storm getting a "You deserve it!" chant when Hikaru Shida assaults them like Charlotte Flair did when Becky Lynch famously attacked her at SummerSlam 2018. Such a big pop.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

I can see Saraya/Toni Storm getting a "You deserve it!" chant when Hikaru Shida assaults them like Charlotte Flair did when Becky Lynch famously attacked her at SummerSlam 2018. Such a big pop.

Oh my god that was funny. Those idiots who write wwe tv really thought people would boo Becky…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel like this is going to be one of those shows that I kick myself for not paying the $40 for a resale ticket to be in the building, but getting out of work and to Inglewood at 4pm on a Wednesday is such a pain in the ass.  

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Dog said:

What if there's a ... quadruple turn? Hayter and Britt finally go face, Saraya and Toni go heel and meet the righteous rage of Shida?

I'm going with a fair standard on the tag match where if their idea of navigating the moving pieces is smarter than "Toni Storm throws herself into a locker to turn heel and take herself out of the match", then i'll listen.

Shida taking out Toni Storm and Saraya getting a better partner than Toni Storm has been mentioned so many times that it feels too predictable by now. At the same time, the tendency to not do the predictable thing to keep everybody on their toes has led to some really bad ideas over the years.

• Page and Takeshita are very similar wrestlers in my eyes. Takeshita is one of the least exciting Danielson opponents for me. I'm expecting big stupid wrestling. Mox is one of the most exciting Page opponents since he'll try to Hansen him again and just force out all of the big, stupid stuff so they just beat the crap out of each other.
  • I very much want to see Hook suplex Bill. That is all.
  • Match 9 of Jumbo vs Bock is from 87, so we're into post Tenryu Turn Jumbo (even if not very far into it). It's significantly shorter. Should be interesting.
  • I am still assuming chicanery on the women's match. Saraya and Mercedes go back. Mercedes inadvertently put Saraya on the shelf for years. Mercedes was the first person Saraya told after she got cleared. I imagine it would be cathartic for the two to team. We shall see.
  • I guess it'll be vaguely amazing for Jericho to babble on about being at PWG?

I'm not as excited about this card as everyone else, but I don't like Takeshita and Page very much.

Rampage on the other hand? Rampage is exciting so far.

• Like 1