DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/11/2023

The Natural

FmCGk13XkAAwd7H?format=jpg&name=900x900

This is one of my most anticipated AEW shows ever. It's a free to air PPV. Be interesting to see what opens and closes the episode for that reason. When Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita was announced last week, I was wanting it then. Not long to go. I can see Takeshita adding to the long list of wrestlers having their best match with Danielson. We also get Jon Moxley vs. Hangman Adam Page. Will there be a swerve, not Swerve Strickland smart asses and get one Mercedes Mone in the women's match? You know the Elite vs. Death Triangle will go all out in that ladder match. To quote@DEAN: "AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD."

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 9

Hook throwing Big Bill is going to light that crowd on fire. If nothing else, I hope this leads to a singles match between the two where Hook has to come from behind, throw Bill around a bunch, and then hook in the Redrum.

2023, year of the HOOK.

• Like 5

Natural summed it up, this is a free PPV IMO. Shit, this might be a better card than this year's Grand Slam and I was AT that. Big stoked for this one. 

Side note: the new red/blue graphics are fine, but DAMN these Lakers/WCW colors are fire!! Almost wish that was the regular scheme, or the scheme for Rampage or something.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the ladder match opens, and the women main assuming they run a show-long angle to get Toni out and Mercedes in.

With a 2-hour (and probably some change) limit, something will likely run shorter than expected. Mox/Hangman seems like a good candidate as a no-contest crowd brawl.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I love vibe of BCC just being violent MFers going after whom ever. I don't know if DB is still coming out the heel tunnel but he's the face in his feud with MJF, MOX has been pretty heelish and doesn't come from any tunnel

Have heels and babyfaces still been coming out of different sides of the new set?? I honestly didn't even notice that. 

35 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I'm not sure about the new set but it was certainly a thing with the old set

After Punk's debut he left out the face tunnel but not without motioning to the crowd like "are you sure I should go this way?" while teasing leaving out the heel tunnel

I didn't know until a news report last week that AEW employs the same set designer who came up with the heel/face tunnels for TNA

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

didn't know until a news report last week that AEW employs the same set designer who came up with the heel/face tunnels for TNA

It's the other Kevin Sullivan, right? I always thought the tunnels looked like early Impact with the lights directly above the circular part with the flat gray-  I like the truss ones they use for Dark at Universal way more

• Like 1

Yeah the heels have still been coming out behind the left smaller screen, the babys bhind the right smaller screen.

I do wonder if Red & Blue is the always default colors except special episodes, or if they will always change them up depending on the location they're in. Rotating and color swapping seems like a cool idea to make the Dynamite episodes a little more distinct. Lakers colors in LA. Go to Green Bay and do yellow & green. Las Vegas black & silver. Etc.

• Like 3

I'd open with Hangman and MOX, maybe even have them brawling in the back to start the show and then flow into the ring and start from there.

Trios Titles should main event. No idea how it will go. Thought The Elite were going to steamroll them in the comeback match. The obvious thing would be The Elite winning and Death Triangle breaking apart into Pac v Fenix with Penta forced to pick a side.

Tony doesn't always do the obvious though and even when he does, he can take a lot longer than you would expect.

Very excited to see how it all plays out!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, L_W_P said:

I'd open with Hangman and MOX, maybe even have them brawling in the back to start the show and then flow into the ring and start from there.

Trios Titles should main event. No idea how it will go. Thought The Elite were going to steamroll them in the comeback match. The obvious thing would be The Elite winning and Death Triangle breaking apart into Pac v Fenix with Penta forced to pick a side.

Tony doesn't always do the obvious though and even when he does, he can take a lot longer than you would expect.

Very excited to see how it all plays out!

I'd like to see something similar where there's no actual match between Hangman and Mox - it's just them fighting around the arena the entire show, and the show progresses reluctantly around it.

Have them end up in the ring during the conclusion of the ladder match, regardless of the finish, you then have heaps of options - more Hangman/Elite stuff, unfinished business between Mox and Omega, Hangman/Danielson, the Dark Order get involved, so Rush/Preston get involved too, Death Triangle vs BCC probably isn't something that's been done yet and feels fresh. A show where House of Black then turn up and lay them all out to end the show feels over done but again - so many directions and branches to stem off it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think shows should be book-ended by your most exciting matches/moments. If Mercedes is there, it should be the main event. If she isn't, rip the band aid off ASAP and have it open. 6 man ladder match is the other match in the scenario I mentioned, so depending on the women's tag match situation, have it placed as the opener or main event accordingly.

Not entirely sure if Mox and Hangman are going to have this program stretched out until Revolution, but it feels like it might conclude with a Last Man Standing match or something, so Wednesday's match doesn't need to go very long. The majority of in-ring time should be given to the women's tag, six man ladder and Danielson/Takeshita, IMO. Absolutely no reason for something like Firm vs JungleHOOK to eat up a picture-in-picture break or something.

Not a real big fan of people like Mercedes or the Young Bucks or even Bryan Danielson, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't insanely hyped up for Dynamite this week. NGL, I'm gonna be mad if Danielson ends up just mowing through his singles matches from here until February, because him versus Takeshita deserves some time. Even if the Bucks are in that six man ladder match, they always deliver in stuff like this. And, I'm a sucker for a good debut pop, so Mercedes will be fun - but if it doesn't happen, I'll be entertained seeing it all melt down (but also feel bad for the ladies, since it's Saraya's 2nd match back, we get a glimpse of Toni & Jamie Part 2, and I guess Britt is there too). Also maybe heel Hikaru Shida???

• Like 4