DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

Throwing out some big guns:

I think Hangman is box office in WWE. Everything about him.

I think Orton would be box office in AEW, and do wonders for the house style

Alternately, Charlotte is maybe the lesser version of Orton here. I think a Charlotte feud/match is just the thing to make Jade.

WWE says no, I think. 

Okay, backstory on this one. Apparently, a couple years ago and maybe as recent as a month ago, I remember a whole bunch of discussions about commentators (well, really Jim Ross) bringing up the backgrounds of athletes versus not doing that. I also remember part of what I said on Diesel one time when people were bitching about Ross being bad on commentary. Here is part of it for context:

On 3/7/2021 at 6:25 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

One of the things I brought up recently in other threads IIRC is hearing Bruce Prichard discuss this on the STW episode for WM XI. I think they were doing some type of special or maybe a highlight package for Diesel, but the focus was going to be more on Kevin Nash and not Diesel. And apparently, this was Jim's (Ross, not Cornette) idea. Prichard kinda went off on Ross a little bit for that. I get it, but at the same, the idea of putting Diesel with celebs didn't work EITHER. I've watched some of these old Raws. They had him go to the NBA ASG (funny that we have one today) which was the one where they discovered Mark Henry and hang out with these big name NBA players past and present. Didn't work. They put him with BOTH Pam Anderson and Jenny McCarthy. Still didn't work. And that was when if you were really a celebrity, you were a true celebrity. So I don't find what Ross wanted to do any more ridiculous than what Prichard, Vince, and any of these other guys who were in the creative braintrust wanted to do. There is no set formula to make someone a star. Based on what Nash was able to turn around and do right after he left WWF, there is no way but to say that creatively the Diesel character had giant limitations. That and WWF in the creative department at the time was doing a very piss poor job of adding depth to and developing these characters.

As a commentator, what else can a Jim Ross do to get these characters over? He has to multi-task by calling the action and getting them over. That's not easy when what you're seeing in front of you is embarrassing OR legitimately nonsensical. When he was given decent material, characters who had intriguing aspects about them, or wrestlers who were the real deal in a workrate sense, that's when Ross was at his best. Now he could tie that and whatever storylines were in play into a nice little bow without having to grasp at straws. I can't fault the commentator for defaulting to what they know best when virtually that's the one of the few options they have. Could he overdo it all times? Yes, certainly. However, you have to take the good with the bad when you hire any person especially an on air talent.

Now for the turn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCDQ3nNj5ss

Among some hilarious stuff, Deadlock has a good discussion about 2013 TNA, what could have been, and how they were right there at essentially the genesis of an indy talent boom with great guys coming up and being available, and how they made every wrong talent decision imaginable.

All from the perspective of Jay Bradley beating Brian Cage in the Gut Check.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are there any other podcasts out there similar to My World, Grilling JR, etc that focus on a specific show or angle each week? Specifically stuff from the 80s and 90s. 

Currently on Pandora I'm listening to My World, Grilling JR, 83 Weeks, Foley is Pod, Something to Wrestle, and the Snake Pit. 

Edited by BrianS81177

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Sonny Onoo on Renee Dupree's podcast was really good. He doesn't get much credit for his role in the WCW and New Japan relationship. He also talked about his role in Sting working the NOAH show recently 

How much did he actually do considering NJPW and WCW had a relationship going on for a few years prior to Onoo coming into the company?

21 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Are there any other podcasts out there similar to My World, Grilling JR, etc that focus on a specific show or angle each week? Specifically stuff from the 80s and 90s. 

Currently on Pandora I'm listening to My World, Grilling JR, 83 Weeks, Foley is Pod, Something to Wrestle, and the Snake Pit. 

Arn's podcast has been covering full months every week. They're at November 91 now.

1 hour ago, driver said:

John Nord is highlighted on this week's Crime In Sports.

I just resubscribed to the Patreon. I'm listening to the one where they tear apart and make fun of Benoit conspiracy theories, complete with Billy Jack.  It's freaking hilarious.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 8:27 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

I just resubscribed to the Patreon. I'm listening to the one where they tear apart and make fun of Benoit conspiracy theories, complete with Billy Jack.  It's freaking hilarious.

I love James and Jimmie. Their wrestling episodes are very good. The best episodes I've found are either focused on a person related to an obscure(to them) sport or an older figure who could've been lost to the annals of time(if not for them). Lenny Montana and Ralph "Blackie" Schwamb are prime examples.

On 3/17/2023 at 12:18 AM, Eivion said:

How much did he actually do considering NJPW and WCW had a relationship going on for a few years prior to Onoo coming into the company?

Bischoff has said that the relationship was REALLY bad prior to he and Onoo going over. The prior regimes had screwed NJPW by IIRC, not sending over the talent they promised and some other stuff. Bischoff really needed Onoo to come and translate and help him with the different business customs there. The funny thing is that Onoo had left Japan years prior and wasn't super fluent in Japanese. He told Bischoff that but Bisch insisted and they both went. It ended up working out as they were able to repair the relationship.

• Like 1

I wonder if NJPW was not happy with Watts using Doc and Gordy as his champs. I remember there being issues with the politics of them being AJPW and feuding with the Steiners, who were NJPW as well as WCW.

would it be fair to guess that the Cornette pod stuff on WM39 is probably skippable to anybody who doesn't already listen to his current wrestling takes?

also, they moved that stuff out quick, so hopefully Brian can lay off of working Jim like a dog for a few days.

34 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

There are good kinds of Jarrett pods and bad kinds of Jarrett pods, and today’s pod on the founding of GFW is the best kind of business-related Jarrett pod.

Most in depth I've heard him go on the end of his time in TNA. Really good stuff. Pulled out the big guns for episode 100.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

I was surprised to hear Jim pop for Brian mentioning the "Land of Confusion" music video because I thought that song came out after Jim stopped paying attention to music

Also, Brian was thinking of the show "Spitting Image" in reference to Vince's look.

• Haha 2