DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

Dom Mysterio is on Cheap Heat this week. I am excited for this one. 

LOL - he is keeping it straight about his jail stint.

Oh my god everyone listen to this. “I did not know her until she beat me up every week. And when she choked me unconscious that weekend, I knew there was something there.”

So gold.

Edited by Greggulator
  • Haha 3

I really enjoyed Kenny Omega on the Sessions, a lot of folks on here seem to dislike him, but I really dig him, in and out of the ring. 

Started listening to this week’s FTR, man they just love feeding the clickbait and trolls, and for a guy who claims to be so happy, Dax sure as shit doesn’t stop complaining.

A guy like him, I really think would be incredibly foolish to go back to WWE. he’s not going to get to wrestle how he claims to want to wrestle, not even close. 

As an aside, I’ve been a Punk fan since 2002, despite him being an asshole to me in person and to friends of mine as well, on separate occasions in the ROH days. Shit, I own every AEW shirt he’s got and an awesome print Haney did. I hope he puts his big boy panties on and comes back and finishes his AEW run in style. Maybe some NJPW shots as well before he hangs it up for good.

Edited by WholeFnMachine
Typos

28 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Started listening to this week’s FTR, man they just love feeding the clickbait and trolls, and for a guy who claims to be so happy, Dax sure as shit doesn’t stop complaining.

A guy like him, I really think would be incredibly foolish to go back to WWE. he’s not going to get to wrestle how he claims to want to wrestle, not even close. 

If FTR does go back to WWE, I hope they come in before Vince gets back in creative although I'm hearing Hunter wasn't big on them either? I always assumed Hunter was behind them but with them having issues with Shawn and Road Dogg, it wouldn't completely surprise me Hunter wasn't behind them. I'm a fan of the guys and I want to see them vs Usos again on a bigger stage of the card  but the Tag team division still isn't as strong as you'd think it would be with Vince not in charge.

On 3/1/2023 at 8:26 PM, WholeFnMachine said:

I really enjoyed Kenny Omega on the Sessions, a lot of folks on here seem to dislike him, but I really dig him, in and out of the ring.

I agree. I think he came off super-likable in this interview. Seems like a really kind, down-to-earth guy who is also very competitive and wants to be great at what he does.

Kenny's style isn't necessarily my favorite, but I do really enjoy him.

Spoiler

I really liked that his take on the Punk thing was basically, "I thought we'd scuffle a bit and then make up." He mentioned coming from a team sports background, that happened a lot. I've seen that, too. Two guys fight and then have a beer. Is it healthy behavior? Maybe not. But I'd argue it's better than lawsuits and general hanging on to bad feelings for a long time.

Edited by Log
Added additional thoughts.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Log said:

I agree. I think he came off super-likable in this interview. Seems like a really kind, down-to-earth guy who is also very competitive and wants to be great at what he does.

Kenny's style isn't necessarily my favorite, but I do really enjoy him.

Reveal hidden contents

I really liked that his take on the Punk thing was basically, "I thought we'd scuffle a bit and then make up." He mentioned coming from a team sports background, that happened a lot. I've seen that, too. Two guys fight and then have a beer. Is it healthy behavior? Maybe not. But I'd argue it's better than lawsuits and general hanging on to bad feelings for a long time.

Spoiler

Yeah, as a guy who has trained BJJ for 14 years and had some really contentious moments on the mats, I agree. Things can get heated out there and then be sorted with a hug in the locker room. It’s a shame it went down like it did.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

"Jake was kinda like an evil Honky Tonk Man" - Cornette, shortly before noting how Jake was able to succeed while doing the absolute least in the ring aside from the DDT.

What guys who were Jake's size and were around in Jake's prime did a whole bunch? Scott Hall is kinda the weird exception, but he was a great worker once he got more confidence in what he was doing. Undertaker wasn't asked to do much outside of 3 or 4 moves before 1994/1995 (flying clothesline, top rope walk, tombstone).

Keeping in mind that Jake was tall but because he wasn't large (until he got fat), he really wasn't in the same realm of the WWF guys who looked like they were half-steroids.

So 6'5/249 Jake was considered closer to someone like 6'3/251 Rick Rude than 6'3/286 Don Muraco or 6'1/260 Dino Bravo or someone like Bigelow who was shorter than Jake but also billed at 100lbs heavier than Jake.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Keeping in mind that Jake was tall but because he wasn't large (until he got fat), he really wasn't in the same realm of the WWF guys who looked like they were half-steroids.

So 6'5/249 Jake was considered closer to someone like 6'3/251 Rick Rude than 6'3/286 Don Muraco or 6'1/260 Dino Bravo or someone like Bigelow who was shorter than Jake but also billed at 100lbs heavier than Jake.

I put Jake in the same category of an Arn Anderson of not doing anything that is above his level of proficiency and being a master of timing. Even fat, strung out on crack Jake Roberts had a certain solid, watchable match put together where it totally hides his lack of athleticism.

For example, last week, I watched a match of his from Georgia against I believe Brad Armstrong where he literally had in a front facelock what felt like 3 solid minutes. Then a few days later, I watched a match where he was definitely out of shape vs. Isaac Yankem who based on the visual should be eating him up (especially knowing that 2 years later, he would basically no sell everything everyone hit him with before WWF started retconning the entire Kane character). He somehow made those two matches, mind you twelve years apart and totally in two different eras of physical condition, work for what his character is. I like that he never did anything that would pull you out of the match. 

• Like 1

Everyone needs to listen to the part of the new Jim Ross podcast where he talks about meeting with Johnny Ace recently. It's hilarious. " Life's too short to hold grudges, even all the times he was a chicken shit. You gotta let that go, and I feel better that I did."

edit: 

Stay tuned for the crazy diversion into Grizzly Smith. "We didn't know! We saw him with all them little girls, we didn't know what pedophilia even meant!" 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

On 3/3/2023 at 2:39 AM, Ultimo Necro said:

Jericho podcast is very much hit and miss but his episode with Dan Lambert and Eddie Kingston talking Wrestling Belts is excellent.  Lambert is such a student and his stories about the belts he has are excellent.

thanks for this callout, i just listened and enjoyed it immensely. 

On 3/4/2023 at 8:29 PM, Johnny Sorrow said:

Everyone needs to listen to the part of the new Jim Ross podcast where he talks about meeting with Johnny Ace recently. It's hilarious. " Life's too short to hold grudges, even all the times he was a chicken shit. You gotta let that go, and I feel better that I did."

edit: 

Stay tuned for the crazy diversion into Grizzly Smith. "We didn't know! We saw him with all them little girls, we didn't know what pedophilia even meant!" 

Sounds pretty awkward. I tried listening to the '03 Rumble episode recently and turned it off when discussion about Benoit vs Angle veered into him talking about getting an icy reception at Benoit's funeral. Like is it possible to discuss the match he allegedly watched in preparation for the show and not let the conversation drift into that

Tony St. Clair on Brisco/Bradshaw was an interesting listen as he's someone who was there a lot in England/Germany/Japan, but that isn't exactly about to sit down with RF for a shoot interview in 2002 or whatever, so it was a bunch of stories that were new to me, including some great Andre ones. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Sounds pretty awkward. I tried listening to the '03 Rumble episode recently and turned it off when discussion about Benoit vs Angle veered into him talking about getting an icy reception at Benoit's funeral. Like is it possible to discuss the match he allegedly watched in preparation for the show and not let the conversation drift into that

That's damn near every Grilling JR. I mean not necessarily specifically that, but Jim goes into some wild ass tangents.

• Like 1

Dax pod generally rules of course, but in the same way I don’t care for the kayfabed Jarrett pods (which are rare, but exist), I’m not a fan of Dax saying “we don’t work our fans” out of one side of his mouth and then 100% kayfabing out of the other a few minutes later. I get it, wrestlers, carnies, etc, but come on man, pick a lane.

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Dax pod generally rules of course, but in the same way I don’t care for the kayfabed Jarrett pods (which are rare, but exist), I’m not a fan of Dax saying “we don’t work our fans” out of one side of his mouth and then 100% kayfabing out of the other a few minutes later. I get it, wrestlers, carnies, etc, but come on man, pick a lane.

Also, I'm a pro wrestling fan. I want to be worked! That's why I love this stuff!

• Like 5

Inspired by that Masked Men/Phil trade deadline pod, I'd like to see an AEW-WWE trade as follows:

To WWE:
Miro
Andrade

To AEW:
Roderick Strong
Chad Gable

Miro and Andrade are both supremely talented and potential stars. They're also both seemingly problematic in their current roster residence. And what is even going on with Roderick Strong!? Last I heard he was in NXT and asking for a release? I just read 'Ankle injury'. Ugh, such a shame to waste a talent as bright as his still in his prime. Speaking of which, Chad Gable MIGHT be the best pro wrestler in 2023, but clearly nothing more than a great hand for 'New York'. What's the contract status on him? Maybe we don't need to make a deal with the devil. 

I'd also like to see what the Garza/Humberto Castillo team would look like on a Wednesday (Or streaming on a Thursday) Night. If negotiations are necessary for these deals, I'd also offer Andrade for this team.

Perhaps we could also work out a deal to get Natalya. The veteran Neidhart needs a refresh more than just about anybody in the industry. She's got nothing going in the E, but could be a great contributor to the E-lite.