DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Podcasts - 2023

Best Dax episode yet. Dude gets into the first Young Bucks match, which I haven’t watched. He gets into how much anxiety he was suffering with, the real reasons why, and how it bled into his professional life that he admittedly takes too seriously. There is also some fantastic stuff about tag psychology as well. 

Then he breaks down the PPV. I am not done with it yet, but Dax does a huge breakdown about why he loves OC. He is a huge OC fan and talks about what a uniquely great wrestler he is. He also loves Eddie Kingston and the Darby/Cody match. And is a huge Adam Page fan too because Adam looks like he can actually fight on top of his cool moves. 

• Like 1

So, Dax said on the pod that his dislike for MJF isn’t shtick.

Hard to buy that, right? Way too many podcast and internet wrestling personalities who don’t normally talk down on current talent shit on “the real Max” as a “horrible human being” for it not to be a deal where he asks them to do so, so that he can live the gimmick. 

For the most part I enjoy Dax’s podcast, however, it does seem to me that Matt tries to egg him on to get him to talk a bit of shit. Usually towards TK or the Bucks. Somebody should remind Matt if FTR goes back to the E their little podcast is over and done.
Also, why would a guy who is so passionate about tag wrestling and seemingly a huge mark for his own team, want to go where only one tag team is treated with any sort of respect? 

I think Dax maybe tougher than I am, but I very much relate to him and find him endearing. I’m cheering for him on his personal journey. I really connected with his talk on anxiety and making it clear that he was addressing his mindset and mental state at the time when he was feeling bitter and what he was dealing with in his personal life. A miscarriage is absolutely heartbreaking and I hope their family is doing alright. 

I understand the headspace of feeling you’re overlooked. I’m not a wrestler but I’ve felt like that at work. Feeling under appreciated, true or not, can be caused by anxiety in a competitive environment.

I agree with Dax that the fallout of the  Young Bucks match could have been better for FTR. Retrospective fantasy booking you give them a promo and have them work through other teams to get their groove back, etc. Also have the announcers point out the going out of their element and losing because of it would have been a nice touch. I respect that Dax takes responsibility for that and not pointing out he wanted that. I disagree with Dax that the post match angle diminished the match. Going to the next storyline (especially what became a great one for the company) was the right move to make. Flair vs Steamboat wasn’t hurt by switching to Flair vs Funk. Also, the amount of other titles they held, they were clearly on par with the Bucks as the 1a - 1b teams. The issue might be there was no payoff, but that’s a different point to argue.

I really think Matt is an instigator in these situations and sadly Dax can be easy to get going. He does have a tough job to bring these topics up, I just think he can be leading a bit at times. 

I’m really pulling for Dax and will keep listening to him. 
——

I miss Regal. Give us a monthly Fireside Chat w/ Regal pod. But instead of a cohost you have a rookie ask him a question like how to do a headlock. Hour later we learn the history of British wrestling an a couple of fun anecdotes.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 4

On 2/11/2023 at 1:47 PM, Octopus said:

I miss Regal. Give us a monthly Fireside Chat w/ Regal pod. But instead of a cohost you have a rookie ask him a question like how to do a headlock. Hour later we learn the history of British wrestling an a couple of fun anecdotes.

I'd love this. It's basically like "How To with John Wilson". He'll have an episode that's nominally about scaffolding, but it will go in a different, interesting direction. This could be the wrestling version of that.

• Like 1

I do find it interesting what Dax values and where it falls in line with me and where it differs as he breaks down things. I think there needs to be a much longer talk about "shine" for instance, comparing, let's say Tito Santana's viewpoint against Dax saying repeatedly that shine isn't a thing before explaining how it is...

but the thing that throws me the most is his notion that legal wrestlers only ever touch legal wrestlers and illegal wrestlers only ever touch illegal wrestlers. This is something I've never noticed or thought about in a match and that doesn't seem to matter in the least to me relative to, let's say, the ratio of "under control" vs "broken down" in a tag match. Once a match breaks down and the ref loses control, guys are running in and out of the ring anyway. That seems like more effort than it's worth.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I do find it interesting what Dax values and where it falls in line with me and where it differs as he breaks down things. I think there needs to be a much longer talk about "shine" for instance, comparing, let's say Tito Santana's viewpoint against Dax saying repeatedly that shine isn't a thing before explaining how it is...

but the thing that throws me the most is his notion that legal wrestlers only ever touch legal wrestlers and illegal wrestlers only ever touch illegal wrestlers. This is something I've never noticed or thought about in a match and that doesn't seem to matter in the least to me relative to, let's say, the ratio of "under control" vs "broken down" in a tag match. Once a match breaks down and the ref loses control, guys are running in and out of the ring anyway. That seems like more effort than it's worth.

I don’t mean to overly rag on the co-host, but I really wish we had someone with Dax that could catch these moments and ask for clarity or to expanded on points. I’m assuming the No The Shine/ Shine You Up talk is mostly semantics on wrestling philosophic linguistics. But without probing questions in the moment, we’ll likely not get the Forest amongst the Trees.
To Matt Koon’s credit, one moment he did (I don’t remember which episode) was when Dax was referring to his own adversity he faced in wrestling that likely the Young Bucks faced the same. It allowed for empathetic reflection.

All in all, I look forward to this pod. 

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I guess it matters in those scenarios when the "wrong man" is pinned. 

It feels to me a way to rationalize deviating from the rules at all, which is a bit flimsy. It's ok for things in a match to break down and a ref to lose control for the finishing stretch. That's not the same as guys coming in and out to hit spots for the last ten minutes of a match like modern WWE Usos style.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Jarrett’s pod today on his rookie year is great and the best kinds of episodes of his show. They also sadly make it public that Jerry has cancer.

Did he talk about the angle with Bill and Buddy? 

2 hours ago, Matt D said:
  • "Wrestlers don't believe me but shine is not a thing..."
  • "...but you shine people up..."
  • ".... and that's all shining people up is..."

Dax.....

See, I never just did things just to do them. Come on, what am I gonna do? Just all of a sudden jump up and grind my feet on somebody's couch like it's something to do? Come on. I got a little more sense then that.

[pause] 

Yeah, I remember grinding my feet on Eddie's couch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Log said:

See, I never just did things just to do them. Come on, what am I gonna do? Just all of a sudden jump up and grind my feet on somebody's couch like it's something to do? Come on. I got a little more sense then that.

[pause] 

Yeah, I remember grinding my feet on Eddie's couch.

F(TR) your couch!

• Haha 4

On 2/17/2023 at 2:56 PM, Dolphman 3000 said:

Most of the way through this. Very enjoyable. I find Kenny’s voice to be pleasant.

I liked him riffing on the Greatest talk and tying it into not just great matches but being able to work a tv match with limitations and time constraints. Just got through him talking about the harassment and twitter hate that the Joshi talent got. Mad respect about them getting shouted and told matches changes midmatch on television as they are learning/ improving their English language.

Haven’t gotten to the video game stuff yet, but saw people post about that already. 

On 2/12/2023 at 9:44 AM, Octopus said:

Tony gets booker of the year for turning me into a Jarrett fan.

I've got it bad too. Started dipping my toe into his podcast because he was using it to build his feud with Caster, and now I'm kind of hooked. There's a deep-dive three-parter about starting TNA, episodes about selling to Panda, getting on Fox Sports, starting Ring Ka King, etc. Lots of really interesting stuff from a business perspective. And that's not even touching on all the interesting stuff from his decades bouncing around as a talent. I never thought he'd be such an interesting subject for a show, but here we are. Good talker too, I don't find it tedious when he has a tangent he wants to go on.

And they haven't even done a full-fledged Global Force episode yet as far as I can tell. So much meat still on the bone. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Stuff like Dax breaking down Kingston/Jay White rules so hard and is the best part of wrestling podcastdom

Just about to say this. Listening to it as we speak as he is breaking down the woman’s Elim Chamber match. The Eddie/Jay breakdown was fantastic. I love him marking out over Asuka and then them talking about MUTA, along with he and the host talking about how good Liv has become (because she really has.)

I cannot wait to get to the Sami/Roman breakdown. So curious to hear it because Dax has talked so many times about how much he prefers conveying emotion than planning moves when building his matches. 

It is also so fun that he has not watched pretty much anything from WWE in years. 

• Like 1