DVDVR Message Board

NJPW 51st Anniversary Show/New Japan Cup 2023.

The Natural

5 hours ago, LF2 said:

Anyone think this is the year they finally have Sanada win the big one? I can’t picture the other guy in the Finals winning let alone beating Okada. That would be some really bad Vince Russo level booking.

Will they give Okada a run less than six months, especially after he beat a current GHC champ while being champ? I think Finlay and Sanada are kind of screwed regardless of which wins. 

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Will they give Okada a run less than six months, especially after he beat a current GHC champ while being champ? I think Finlay and Sanada are kind of screwed regardless of which wins. 

I think if SANADA wins, he beats Okada, otherwise he surely would be Goto'd (and yet at the QF stage, Goto was the guy I was pulling for...shock NJC win, go on to beat Okada, slay his demons...oh well). Liking SANADA's new look though

Finlay on the other hand, if he was to win, I think it would make more sense for him to lose to Okada, cause more friction in Bullet Club (with ELP in particular) as he couldn't get the job done. 

The Ospreay injury really messed things up, either SANADA or Finlay was probably meant to get a big win over him to cement their title challenge. I don't have a ton of interest in this final, but am hyped for Hiromu/Rush. 

• Like 1

I can see SANADA winning and then eventually losing to Finlay. That can free up Okada to maybe either go for the tag titles with Tanahashi or do something with Kaito with far less politics involved.

Also, my secret wish is that ELP leaves the BC to join LIJ.

• Like 1

I see SANADA winning the New Japan Cup and defeating Kazuchika Okada in the IWGP World Championship match the winner gets. I can see David Finlay winning the New Japan Cup to make a statement, a new player but I'm not sure if he'll go over Okada whereas I think SANADA will.

Spoiler

SANADA leaving LIJ, joining a new group, debuting a new finish and new look. SANADA will look an idiot if he doesn't win. Reminds me what happened to EVIL in the 2020 New Japan Cup as EVIL wins the IWGP Heavyweight Championship/IWGP Intercontinental Championship from Tetsuya Naito leaving LIJ for Bullet Club. Making a new main eventer out of nowhere. SANADA does little for me. If I had my way, Zack Sabre Jr would be in SANADA's position here winning the New Japan Cup then beating Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP World Championship.

Edited by The Natural

Full New Japan Cup finals show lineup:

• Hiroshi Tanahashi & Yuto Nakashima vs. DOUKI & Taichi
  • Ryohei Oiwa & Shota Umino vs. Kosei Fujita & Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Tomoaki Honma, Tomohiro Ishii & Tama Tonga vs. El Phantasmo, Chase Owens & KENTA
  • Rysuke Taguchi, Toru Yano, Ren Narita & El Desperado vs. Dick Togo, SHO, Yujiro Takahashi & EVIL
  • Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito vs. Aaron Henare & Great-O-Khan
  • YOSHI-HASHI, Hirooki Goto & Kazuchika Okada vs. Jeff Cobb, Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis
  • IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. Lio Rush
  • New Japan Cup 2023 Finals: SANADA vs. David Finlay

Yano teaming with Suzuki's faction makes me wonder if MiSu take a pot-shot at him on instinct.

• Like 1

Spoiler

SANADA wins, used a Shining Wizard in the lead to the win. Good choice with a full cheering crowd to have the home town lad win. Hoping he actually beats Okada, digging the new SANADA.

Hiromu/Rush was match of the night, Robbie is next at Sakura Genesis. Robbie and Hiromu mesh really well together, but I think Hiromu is going for the record.

UE/CHAOS 6 man was a blast,  Aussie Open's stock has increased significantly on this tour.

There was also a mysterious coming soon video...lots of speculation for who it's for, from Danielson to Goldberg but my gut feel is Tsuji returning.

If Ospreay can't make Multiverse, Tanahashi offered to replace him against Mike Bailey. A match I never knew I wanted!

Edited by Horangi
Spelling errors + multiverse stuff
  • Like 3

I’m laughing my ass off at how wrong Meltzer was about literally everything in the NJ Cup. All of the people he said would win lost and now my boy is near the top where he should be.

LFG!!!

Spoiler

Called SANADA winning the New Japan Cup. Think he'll take the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship from Kazuchika Okada for the reasons I  gave in my previous post.

Edited by The Natural