DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022-23: Super! WILDCARD! WEEKEND~!

Dolfan in NYC

11 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Staley is a young coach still learning, who is better that will definitely be available?

In no particular order

• Sean Payton
  • Jim Caldwell
  • Steve Wilks
  • David Shaw
  • Dan Quinn
  • Raheem Morris
  • Wink Martindale 
  • Brian Flores

And that isn't even taping into folks like Eric Bieniemy and DeMeco Ryans

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In no particular order

• Sean Payton
  • Jim Caldwell
  • Steve Wilks
  • David Shaw
  • Dan Quinn
  • Raheem Morris
  • Wink Martindale 
  • Brian Flores

And that isn't even taping into folks like Eric Bieniemy and DeMeco Ryans

Raheem Morris was hated by fans when he was coach as was Dan Quinn. I like this headline I quickly found "How NFL Coaches Should Be Judged & Why Dan Quinn Was the Epitome of A Bad One". That's my point, fanbase gets mad, coach is fired, coach gets a new job later because he is the "better" then the current coach, fanbase gets mad, coach is fired, repeat.

3 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I want buffalo and Cinci to win so we can maximize chaos and potentially have an asterisk on the championship.

Giants and Vikings? Why not the Giants?

How would there be an asterisk? Kansas City will have had a home playoff game next weekend regardless, and really Buffalo is getting shafted harder than they are. If they’d beat the Bengals (Week 17)the title game would be in Buffalo, not at a neutral site. I really don’t get people still having a fit over that game not being resumed. I guarantee if the Texans flipped places with Buffalo and that was Davis Mills laying on the field that night you wouldn’t be talking at all, let alone this asterisk crap.

• Like 1

For the record, I do think some coaches are beyond bad and deserved to be fired after a year or two, I just think in general unless there is an extreme circumstance (like Urban Meyer) that coaches should get at least three years so they can actually chose some of their own players and install their systems, that's all.

• Like 1

Maybe but my counter has nothing to do with the fanbase yelling for a scalp (since all fanbases do that the second a team loses a game) is you have Justin Herbert for only 2 more years on a rookie contract - can you really afford to let Staley "learn how to coach"?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Raheem Morris was hated by fans when he was coach as was Dan Quinn. I like this headline I quickly found "How NFL Coaches Should Be Judged & Why Dan Quinn Was the Epitome of A Bad One". That's my point, fanbase gets mad, coach is fired, coach gets a new job later because he is the "better" then the current coach, fanbase gets mad, coach is fired, repeat.

Raheem Morris was likely hated for reasons I won’t dive into here. Especially coaching a team based in Florida. Quinn was hated, because he blew the Super Bowl. Up to that point nobody hated him. But yes please tell us how Brandon Staley is a better coach than either of them especially when he’s shown no signs of life these past two seasons, and is in the process of wasting at worst a top 10 NFL QB. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LF2 said:

Raheem Morris was likely hated for reasons I won’t dive into here. Especially coaching a team based in Florida. Quinn was hated, because he blew the Super Bowl. Up to that point nobody hated him. But yes please tell us how Brandon Staley is a better coach than either of them especially when he’s shown no signs of life these past two seasons, and is in the process of wasting at worst a top 10 NFL QB. 

A QB that scores three points in the second half of a playoff game probably isn't a Top 10 NFL QB, to start. 12th in both QB Rating and QBR to be exact this year, maybe he's the issue. God I hope the Chargers hire Quinn now, that would be great.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

A QB that scores three points in the second half of a playoff game probably isn't a Top 10 NFL QB, to start. 12th in both QB Rating and QBR to be exact this year, maybe he's the issue. God I hope the Chargers hire Quinn now, that would be great.

Okay since you’re quoting QBR let me pull up that list, and see who’s ahead of Herbert, and how many I’d take ahead of him:

1) Mahomes (okay obviously I’d take him over Herbert)

2) Allen (another no brainer)

3) Tua (nope, not with that concussion history)

4) Hurts (maybe)

5) Geno (no chance in hell)

5) Goff (again no chance in hell)

7) Daniel Jones (are you serious that you’re saying these guys are better than Herbert, pick a new metric)

8 Jacoby Brissett (I’m thinking you just hate Herbert now)

9) Lamar Jackson (not with his injury history)

10) Joe Burrow (over Herbert every day for sure)

11) Dak (Hell no)

Wow so using your special metric there’s only 3 guys I’d for sure take over Herbert, and one maybe. But yeah let’s put him down some more. 

And your QB rating nonsense doesn’t look any better:

1) Tua (still a no)

2) Mahomes (yes)

3) Jimmy G (hell no times a 100)

4) Hurts (maybe)

5) Geno (still no)

6) Burrow (yes)

7) Goff (nope)

Allen (yes)

9) Dalton (seriously? Nope)

10) Lawrence (maybe)

11) Tannehill (no times a million)

Edited by LF2

As a Giants fan these are the active QBs I’d actually want ahead of Justin Herbert:

Patrick Mahomes

Josh Allen

Joe Burrow

Jalen Hurts 

Trevor Lawrence 

And the last two are only maybes. Otherwise I’d stick with Jones if Herbert isn’t an option. Rodgers and Brady are both too old, Tua and Lamar both have injury issues, and Dak is beyond a joke. But I would love to see somebody make a top 10 list that doesn’t include Herbert since apparently I’m wrong about him according to metrics that overrate Jacoby Brissett, Ryan Tannehill, and other garbage tier QBs

15 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Brandon Staley is still the second best head coach in the AFC west because half the division is Josh McDaniels and whoever the Broncos interim head coach is

I read through everything and of all things to quote, I chose this because it’s true. It sounds insane but it’s true. 

I didn’t see the game but this is probably the worst I’ve seen this forum have to eat crow after a comeback or a meltdown. Everybody here has seen enough games not to call them early but everybody here did. So it must have been really freaking bad. No judgement...I’ve done it lol! 

13 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I didn’t see the game but this is probably the worst I’ve seen this forum have to eat crow after a comeback or a meltdown. Everybody here has seen enough games not to call them early but everybody here did. So it must have been really freaking bad. No judgement...I’ve done it lol! 

It wasn't just the score. It was that Lawrence looked like he never played quarterback before in the first half. (Two of the picks weren't really his fault, one was tipped twice, but the other two really were, plus there were a bunch of other throws that just weren't good.)

Especially against a coach who, game management questions aside, is one of the brightest defensive minds in the NFL, the comeback seemed highly unlikely.

But hey, what a finish.