DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022-23: Super! WILDCARD! WEEKEND~!

Dolfan in NYC

Get ready!   Stay Healthy!

YOUR Playoff Schedule!  

SATURDAY JANUARY 14TH

430PM Seattle @ San Francisco  (FOX)

815PM Los Angeles @ Jacksonville (NBC/Peacock)

SUNDAY JANUARY 15TH

1PM  MIAMI~ @ Buffalo  (CBS / Paramount+)

430PM New York @ Minnesota (FOX)

815PM  Baltimore @ Cincinnati (NBC/Peacock)

MONDAY JANUARY 16TH

815PM  Dallas @ Tampa Bay (ESPN 1/2/+)

man, if Mostert could ever get through even half a season without getting hurt...

(yes, I'm still a tad salty over Shanahan not putting the ball in his hands with a chance to close out the Chiefs in the Super Bowl...)

Tua’s next contract negotiation is going to be interesting.  Assuming he can find a doctor to clear him for next year, and the league doesn’t find some way to boot him and all the concussion talk offstage.

At the moment, I don’t think anyone should hand him a new deal and a starting job.  His future was sort of uncertain even before the concessions.  He probably needed a stellar year to prove Flores was wrong about him and, well….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

Tua’s next contract negotiation is going to be interesting.  Assuming he can find a doctor to clear him for next year, and the league doesn’t find some way to boot him and all the concussion talk offstage.

At the moment, I don’t think anyone should hand him a new deal and a starting job.  His future was sort of uncertain even before the concessions.  He probably needed a stellar year to prove Flores was wrong about him and, well….

Even though I am a Bills fan, as an owner of Tua in Fantasy Football, I can recognize that when he was healthy this year he looked pretty great. While l don't want the Dolphins to be good, I do think its good for the NFL when there are multiple talented young QBs in the league as it makes the games more fun to watch. Course, health comes first, especially when it comes to the brain. But I do hope that he gets fully cleared and can continue his career, even if that means it makes things more difficult for the Bills in the East.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

The league can’t and won’t boot him. Concussions are a part of the game, and even if Tua retires the talk won’t (and shouldn’t) be swept under the rug. The league has a problem, and needs to fix it.

Edited by LF2
  • Like 1

Reminder (and I had certainly forgotten) that starting this postseason - new OT rules

The NFL changed its playoff overtime rules in the offseason, and now postseason games won’t end with a touchdown on the opening possession of overtime.

Now if a team scores a touchdown on the first possession of overtime, it will line up to kick an extra point or attempt a two-point conversion. Then that team will kick off, and the other team will get a chance to score a touchdown. If that team does score a touchdown, it will line up for an extra point or two-point conversion of its own. It’s possible that the game can end at that point: For instance, if the first team kicked an extra point, the second team can try a game-ending two-point conversion attempt. But if the score remains tied after both teams’ touchdowns, at that point the team that scored the second touchdown would kick off again, and from there on it would be sudden-death overtime.

There is still one scenario in which both teams don’t get a possession in overtime: If the team kicking off to start overtime scores a safety on the receiving team’s initial possession, the team that kicked off is the winner without ever possessing the ball. For instance, if the kickoff returner gets tackled deep in his own territory, and then on the next play the quarterback is sacked in his own end zone, that safety ends the game.

Unlike regular-season overtime, which is 10 minutes long, playoff overtime is essentially starting a new game: Teams will play 15-minute periods until there is a winner. If there’s been no winner after two 15-minute periods, there will be another kickoff to start the third overtime period, although there won’t be a halftime break between periods. Needing to go to a third overtime period has never happened in NFL history.

• Like 1

The play I want to see more than anything in OT is this:

Basically, you're penalizing defensive stupidity.   Bringing the ball you've just recovered back through the end zone, where the play dies. Can happen on a blocked kick, a punt, or a kickoff... you just have to get the ball out of the end zone and bring it back in.  OR....  the defense kills the ball via penalty in the end zone (illegal forward pass on an INT, illegal batting, etc.)

I can find no record of one happening in the NFL during the modern era, but the best example is the one I've posted above. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I can find no record of one happening in the NFL during the modern era

That is because there never has been one (at least since 1940) (per Google)

Basically it happened twice in D1 and twice in D3

• Like 1

The NFL has announced that... if necessary... the neutral site game will be played in Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz)

The NFL claims

“As part of standard NFL contingency planning, Atlanta was designated a possible backup host site for postseason games prior to the start of the 2022 season and is almost equidistant from both potential participating teams' cities.”

EDIT - Arrowhead is roughly 800 miles away while whatever the fuck the Bills Stadium is called is roughly 900 away

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

The NFL has announced that... if necessary... the neutral site game will be played in Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz)

So it's if Buffalo OR Cincinnati ends up in the AFC title game, but not if both end up, right?  

10 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So it's if Buffalo OR Cincinnati ends up in the AFC title game, but not if both end up, right?  

Its only if it is KC/Buffalo

All other scenarios proceed as normal (Buffalo and Cincy played the same number of games and KC would have the #1 seed over Cincy even if Cincy won the game against Buffalo, Buffalo and Cincy have better records than everyone else in AFC)