DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL Draft, 27-29 April 2023

Gonzo

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Richardson is an incredible athlete. 6'4", 244 lbs, ran a 4.43 forty. 10'9" broad jump. He has absurd arm talent.

Now if he could just complete passes.

If I had the choice between Richardson and Young, I'd take the chance with Richardson.  For what it's worth, I'm skeptical about both of them as prospects, but one of them has flaws you can hopefully coach the other one weighs 37 pounds after multiple years in Alabama's strength and conditioning program.  If you take Richardson, it's going to take a hell of a lot of work for him to improve his accuracy, but if he does you have a franchise quarterback for a decade.  I just don't see how having a 204 lb. quarterback, who reportedly spent all offseason bulking up, is a viable option in the NFL.  People keep comparing him to Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson, but those guys look like halfbacks, Young bulked up to their size and is still built like a high school punt returner.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

If I had the choice between Richardson and Young, I'd take the chance with Richardson.  For what it's worth, I'm skeptical about both of them as prospects, but one of them has flaws you can hopefully coach the other one weighs 37 pounds after multiple years in Alabama's strength and conditioning program.  If you take Richardson, it's going to take a hell of a lot of work for him to improve his accuracy, but if he does you have a franchise quarterback for a decade.  I just don't see how having a 204 lb. quarterback, who reportedly spent all offseason bulking up, is a viable option in the NFL.  People keep comparing him to Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson, but those guys look like halfbacks, Young bulked up to their size and is still built like a high school punt returner.  

Richardson feels like the biggest boom/bust guy in the draft. The right situation with the right coaches and maybe you get "Cam Newton with track speed" or "Super Josh Allen."

But Allen is a fairly large outlier in terms of improving accuracy.

A month ago when Richardson was looked as a mid-first round pick I was intrigued by Detroit maybe grabbing him to sit behind Goff for a year. I think that's the right situation for him.

As for Young... He's really good. But you do have to worry about him staying healthy. Also people need to stop saying "he could be a Drew Brees type" of player when the entire list of Drew Brees type players in NFL history is 1 name deep.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2023 at 5:20 PM, Lawful Metal said:

Because if you're racing someone and they're racing you and then someone dies there's some liabilities there.  I've prosecuted and defended racing cases and they fucking suck and they're so fucking stupid and I had one racing case where they both crashed and one died and the other lost a softball sized chunk of his brain and was in a wheelchair and we were having serious discussions as to whether or not that drooling mess was going to be spending the rest of his short life in prison.  If you're racing and as a result of your race, someone dies, in Texas, it's a second degree felony, 2-20 years in prison, $10,000.00 fine.  It's been a minute but I think racing cases are stackable, so if two dead two injured that's a possible 20+20+10+10 = 60 years in prison for someone who could be a multimillionaire and retired by 30 if he didn't act a fool.  Nevermind they might stack a failure to render aid on him for leaving the scene, so add another 2-20. 

So, yeah, if you're racing and the guy you're racing dies, you're probably a bit responsible.  Of course, if this was in Texas I'd be tweeting him my number and defending the shit out of him. 

Also, the misdemeanor reckless driving could be a placeholder before they get the case to a grand jury to indict him on some of the above felonies.  Of course, I'm a Texas lawyer, not Georgia or whatever so policies and statutes probably vary a bit. 

In regards to my original statement --- I did say might've. 

I thought I responded to this.  Two things,  this actually puts this into perspective in a way that I didn't really see before. I don't know what the Georgia law says,  but I do believe someone would have reported it if this was similar to Texas' laws about racing and any deaths that occur. Second,  I'm really surprised that Texas' laws are that strict about racing as Texas is one of two states I've driven in where speeding seems to be encouraged. 

On 3/5/2023 at 7:41 PM, JLowe said:

None of the top QBs are top 10-15 talents and yet at least 3 of them will go in the first 5-7.

15-20 years ago, CJ Stroud would've been a no-brainier first overall pick. Decent size, good arm, a smart pocket passer, accurate, wildly productive, doesn't panic and leave the pocket.

But questions about his mobility are real (though he seemed to be moving really well against Georgia. I think a lot of it was Ryan Day didn't want him running for fear of injury) but it's funny how the same things that mobile^ QBs used to get dinged for doing he's now getting marked down for not doing.

^Particularly but not exclusively black quarterbacks.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Panthers made the move, now have the first pick.

But who do they want? Hope it’s Levis or Richardson. As long as Houston ends up with Young or Stroud, I’m happy. At least it wasn’t Indy jumping us.

3 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

But who do they want? Hope it’s Levis or Richardson. As long as Houston ends up with Young or Stroud, I’m happy. At least it wasn’t Indy jumping us.

Nobody is jumping to one for Levis. I’ve not seen any mock have him as even the second QB off the board. The top two seem to be the two you want. But I could see Carolina targeting Richardson after his combine, and also thinking he’s Cam 2.0

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jalen Carter continues to show the blueprint for how to tank your draft stock

This is crazy, because before about a month ago, he was by far the #1 prospect in this draft.  The Georgia defense over the last couple seasons were all-time great defenses and he was widely considered the best prospect of that super stacked roster.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Per Schefter - teams are calling the Cards about the #3 pick

None of this is shocking and clearly happens every year but basically its "Hey are you cool with Kyler because we really need to move up for a QB"

Day 2 picks in this year's draft that have been traded

Round 2

• #32) Chicago -> Pittsburgh (Chase Claypool trade)
  • #37) Denver -> Seattle (Russell Wilson trade)
  • #42) Cleveland -> New York Jets -> Green Bay (CLE to NYJ in Elijah Moore trade, NYJ to GB in Aaron Rodgers trade)
  • #53) Baltimore -> Chicago (Roquan Smith trade)
  • #55) Minnesota -> Detroit (T.J. Hockenson trade)
  • #61) San Francisco -> Carolina -> Chicago (SF to CAR in Christian McCaffrey trade, CAR to CHI in trade for CAR to move up to #1 overall)

Round 3

• #67) Indianapolis -> Denver (2022 Draft trade for IND to select S Nick Cross)
  • #73) Cleveland -> Houston (DeShaun Watson trade)
  • #74) New York Jets -> Cleveland (Elijah Moore trade)
  • #76) Carolina -> New England (2022 Draft trade for CAR to select QB Matt Corral)
  • #77) New England -> Miami -> Los Angeles Rams (NE to MIA in DeVante Parker trade, MIA to LAR in Jalen Ramsey trade)
  • #79) Washington -> Indianapolis (Carson Wentz trade)
  • #93) San Francisco -> Carolina (Christian McCaffrey trade)
  • #100) Kansas City -> New York Giants -> Las Vegas (KC to NYG in Kadarius Toney trade, NYG to LV in Darren Waller trade)
Edited by Gonzo

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This, of course, means less than nothing, but...

the odds on Will Levis being picked #1 overall just went from 40-1 to 4-1.  

👀

Based on a Reddit post and nothing else.

• Thanks 1

The initial post has been updated to reflect the swap of first-round picks between the Jets and the Packers in the Aaron Rodgers trade.

Also, the Day 2 traded picks post has been updated to reflect the Jets' second-round pick that they got from Cleveland in the Elijah Moore trade going to the Packers in the Rodgers trade.

18 hours ago, JLowe said:

Based on a Reddit post and nothing else.

I think there was a story that he was going around and telling people the Panthers were taking him 1 as well. That's how I saw the story about the odds on Twitter.

As a reminder - use this thread for discussion over the next three days

But that does not mean to post every single fucking pick

Also please don't "spoil" picks (as in post a Jason La Canfora tweet where he says the pick 5 minutes before it airs on TV)

• Like 1

Seeing people on my Texas football board posting a number of tweets about the Titans trying to move up to #3. Wondering if this is working on the assumption that the Texans are going to pass on Stroud.

Well the last few hours have been full of NFL reporters saying the Cards are sifting through a bunch of offers for #3

Obviously it is to their benefit that if they are gonna make a trade back - they wait till they are on the clock since someone will probably panic