DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL Draft, 27-29 April 2023

Gonzo

With nearly all of the 2022 NFL regular season in the books, the 2023 NFL Draft order is taking shape.

This year's draft will be held in Kansas City.

The following is the draft order for the first round of this year's draft, with each team's record and strength of schedule, which is the first tiebreaker for determining draft position. The team with a lower SoS gets the higher draft pick.

1. Carolina Panthers (from Chicago Bears, 3-14, .572): Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
  2. Houston Texans (3-13-1, .481): C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State
  3. Houston Texans (from Arizona Cardinals, 4-13, .529): Will Anderson, Edge, Alabama
  4. Indianapolis Colts (4-12-1, .512): Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida
  5. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver Broncos, 5-12, .481): Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois
  6. Arizona Cardinals (from Los Angeles Rams, 5-12, .519, through Detroit Lions): Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State
  7. Las Vegas Raiders (6-11, .474): Tyree Wilson, Edge, Texas Tech
  8. Atlanta Falcons (7-10, .467): Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
  9. Philadelphia Eagles (from Carolina Panthers, 7-10, .472, through Chicago Bears): Jalen Carter, DL, Georgia
  10. Chicago Bears (from New Orleans Saints, 7-10, .507, through Philadelphia Eagles): Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
  11. Tennessee Titans (7-10, .510): Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern
  12. Detroit Lions (from Cleveland Browns, 7-10, .524, through Houston Texans and Arizona Cardinals): Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama
  13. Green Bay Packers (from New York Jets, 7-10, .539): Lukas van Ness, Edge, Iowa
  14. Pittsburgh Steelers (from New England Patriots, 8-9, .502): Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
  15. New York Jets (from Green Bay Packers, 8-9, .524): Will McDonald, Edge, Iowa State
  16. Washington Commanders (8-8-1, .536): Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State
  17. New England Patriots (from Pittsburgh Steelers, 9-8, .519): Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
  18. Detroit Lions (9-8, .535): Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa
  19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-9, .503): Calijah Kancey, DL, Pittsburgh
  20. Seattle Seahawks (9-8, .462): Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
  21. Miami Dolphins (9-8, .537)
  22. Los Angeles Chargers (10-7, .443): Quentin Johnston, WR, Texas Christian
  23. Baltimore Ravens (10-7, .509): Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College
  24. Minnesota Vikings (13-4, .474): Jordan Addison, WR, Southern Cal
  25. New York Giants (from Jacksonville Jaguars, 9-8, .467): Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland
  26. Buffalo Bills (from New York Giants, 9-7-1, .526, through Jacksonville Jaguars): Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah
  27. Dallas Cowboys (12-5, .507): Mazi Smith, DL, Michigan
  28. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Buffalo Bills, 13-3, .503): Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma
  29. Cincinnati Bengals (12-4, .524): Myles Murphy, Edge, Clemson
  30. New Orleans Saints (from San Francisco 49ers, 13-4, .417, through Miami Dolphins and Denver Broncos): Bryan Bresee, DL, Clemson
  31. Philadelphia Eagles (14-3, .474): Nolan Smith, Edge, Georgia
  32. Kansas City Chiefs (14-3, .453): Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Edge, Kansas State

The Miami Dolphins will not have a first-round pick this year because they forfeited it for violating league tampering rules. Everyone that is "below" Miami in the draft order will theoretically move up one spot.

Teams with multiple first-round picks:

• Detroit Lions (acquired pick from Los Angeles Rams in Matthew Stafford trade)
  • Philadelphia Eagles (acquired pick from New Orleans in 2022 pre-draft trade)
  • Houston Texans (acquired pick from Cleveland in DeShaun Watson trade)

Teams with no first-round pick:

• Los Angeles Rams (traded to Detroit in Matthew Stafford trade)
  • Denver Broncos (traded to Seattle in Russell Wilson trade)
  • Cleveland Browns (traded to Houston in DeShaun Watson trade)
  • San Francisco 49ers (traded pick to Miami in 2021 as part of trade to move up for Trey Lance; Miami subsequently traded pick to Denver in Bradley Chubb trade; Denver subsequently traded the pick to New Orleans for Sean Payton)
  • Miami Dolphins (for reasons outlined above)

I'll do something about Day 2 picks that have been traded at some point here, too.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Picks 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, and 24 will be filled by the teams that lose on Wild Card Weekend.

Picks 25, 26, 27, and 28 will be filled by the teams that lose in the Divisional playoffs.

Picks 29 and 30 will be filled by the teams that lose in the Conference Championship Games.

And order is determined via record - so like if Tampa loses this weekend, they get #19 since they have the worst record of all the playoffs teams. (This is also where the tie bones the Giants since they are slotted behind all the teams who finished 9-8)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 10:39 AM, Lawful Metal said:

So Jalen Carter might’ve killed a guy

You're a lawyer right? How can you pay something that is this outrageously presumptuous about a dude being charged with a misdemeanor for reckless driving? I have not seen anything that has even insinuated that Jalen Carter was at fault for the car accident that killed his teammate. Everything I've seen makes it seem like these dudes liked to drive way faster than they should have been driving,  and while they were driving way faster than they should have been driving his teammate crashed and died. That's tragic and completely avoidable,  but in no way does that mean that Jalen Carter killed someone. 

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

You're a lawyer right? How can you pay something that is this outrageously presumptuous about a dude being charged with a misdemeanor for reckless driving? I have not seen anything that has even insinuated that Jalen Carter was at fault for the car accident that killed his teammate. Everything I've seen makes it seem like these dudes liked to drive way faster than they should have been driving,  and while they were driving way faster than they should have been driving his teammate crashed and died. That's tragic and completely avoidable,  but in no way does that mean that Jalen Carter killed someone. 

Because if you're racing someone and they're racing you and then someone dies there's some liabilities there.  I've prosecuted and defended racing cases and they fucking suck and they're so fucking stupid and I had one racing case where they both crashed and one died and the other lost a softball sized chunk of his brain and was in a wheelchair and we were having serious discussions as to whether or not that drooling mess was going to be spending the rest of his short life in prison.  If you're racing and as a result of your race, someone dies, in Texas, it's a second degree felony, 2-20 years in prison, $10,000.00 fine.  It's been a minute but I think racing cases are stackable, so if two dead two injured that's a possible 20+20+10+10 = 60 years in prison for someone who could be a multimillionaire and retired by 30 if he didn't act a fool.  Nevermind they might stack a failure to render aid on him for leaving the scene, so add another 2-20. 

So, yeah, if you're racing and the guy you're racing dies, you're probably a bit responsible.  Of course, if this was in Texas I'd be tweeting him my number and defending the shit out of him. 

Also, the misdemeanor reckless driving could be a placeholder before they get the case to a grand jury to indict him on some of the above felonies.  Of course, I'm a Texas lawyer, not Georgia or whatever so policies and statutes probably vary a bit. 

In regards to my original statement --- I did say might've. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Today is apparently the day the NFL media noticed that Bryce Young is pocket sized.

undraftable nobody should trade up for him and Chicago should just take Will Anderson and be happy with it

This is crazy to me. I'm not judging Richardson as a player but for someone to change their draft stock that much based on the Combine, which of course is a vanilla controlled environment, when there are many hours of game tape just throws me for a loop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

This is crazy to me. I'm not judging Richardson as a player but for someone to change their draft stock that much based on the Combine, which of course is a vanilla controlled environment, when there are many hours of game tape just throws me for a loop.

Even Jamarcus Russell put up better tape and numbers than Richardson has.

21 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Even Jamarcus Russell put up better tape and numbers than Richardson has.

I mean Richardson's completion percentage was under 55% last year. He just had some games he looked terrible. He has all the physical characteristics you want in a starting QB, which apparently is enough for teams to take a run at him. Maybe with the right coaching and situation he can develop, but the idea a team will draft him in the 1st round probably with the plan to start him in his first year just sounds like a bad idea.

The last mock I saw from one of the "experts" had four QBs going in the top ten picks. That doesn't seem terribly justified but teams will always reach for a QB if they think they have potential, should be interesting.