DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

How TF do the Texans have zero cap space???

We got cap space but we also have to sign the #2 and #3 picks in the draft. Other than that fuck I don’t know it ain’t my money

• Like 1

$28 million in dead cap space, mostly on Brandin Cooks at $22.

Though sportrac estimates them as having just under $12 million in space after signing their draft class, so... Fuck if I understand the NFL salary cap.

• Like 2

Greg Bishop wants to remind us that Philly is just as stupid as everyone else and came *this* close to smashing their own dicks. 

He's reporting that the Eagles offered Seattle a trade for Russel Wilson, but Wilson refused to waive his no trade for them.

(Washington offered a trade also, but Wilson again said no.)

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2023 at 7:49 AM, nofuture said:

This might be the best one so far.

My boss is Israeli, but she just moved to NYC after living in Dallas for several years. She was DYING for the Texans/Cowboys mixup. 😄

Random question:  If you had a "lockdown corner*" on your team, is it better to have him shadow the opposing team's #1 receiver all over the field, or pick a side and he takes away half the field? 

I'm trying to remember what Deion did, but I seem to recall him picking a side.  I think Richard Sherman did.  I think Revis did? 

So what's better? 

* by lockdown corner, I mean Derek Stingley, obviously. 

Depends on the defensive philosophy.  Most NFL units run a hybrid man-zone with insane numbers of stunts, blitzes, switches, etc.  

The end game though usually is match up your best guy on their best guy.  The offense will almost always try to trick the D into thinking they've got the best guy covered when all of a sudden he breaks free.  

Most of what a D coordinator does is eat tape and study what players and coaches tendencies are and call their defense so they get the best match ups and adjusting on the fly.  

But in the NFL, you're facing terrifying athletes so essentially, you have to pick your poison.

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Random question:  If you had a "lockdown corner*" on your team, is it better to have him shadow the opposing team's #1 receiver all over the field, or pick a side and he takes away half the field? 

I'm trying to remember what Deion did, but I seem to recall him picking a side.  I think Richard Sherman did.  I think Revis did? 

So what's better? 

Bill Belichick, who is the premier defensive mind of all time, tends to double the #1 receiver and put his best corner on the second best receiver.  This is the most logical strategy in my opinion.  A team's best receiver is too dangerous of a weapon to cover one on one, no matter who is covering them.  First and foremost a defensive back starts at a disadvantage, because the offense knows the play and the defense doesn't.  Second, receivers tend to be larger than defensive backs.  There are plenty of 6+ foot receivers, but it is rare that you find a defensive back that large.  So, instead of trying to depend on one player to shut down their best playmaker, you set up your entire defense to take away their best playmaker, while using you best playmaker to take away their second best playmaker.  

• Like 2

Okay - since I actually read the story re: Jacksonville's stadium

• This is for stadium renovations - and improving area currently around TIAA Bank Field
  • Cost could be as much as $2 billion (the stadium renovations themselves are expected to cost between $1.3 to $1.4 billion)
  • Jacksonville and Shad Khan have a MOU that splits the costs 50/50 (I am gonna come back to this in the next post)
  • It will take 2 years so the Jags have decided they will play elsewhere why that is happening (they said it is cheaper to do it that way then play in the stadium while it is renovated)
  • Team said most likely they would play at either University of Florida's Ben Hill Griffin Stadium and Orlando's Camping World Stadium
  • The goal is to have everything agreed upon for NFL owner approval in May 2024

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37812510/jaguars-unveil-renderings-proposed-stadium-renovation

Regarding who is paying - just wanted to again remind everyone that the NFL itself does not want team's paying full freight for their stadiums (namely since they don't want the precedent set)

From the story

"What we've discussed with the city and what's contained in this memorandum of understanding is we get to 50-50, but more of their [the city's] 50% is going to have to go into the stadium because that's what the league's going to look at and more of Shad's 50 is going to have to go into the development around the stadium," Lamping said. "And when you combine them, you get to 50-50."

(Mark Lamping is the Jags Team President)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Regarding who is paying - just wanted to again remind everyone that the NFL itself does not want team's paying full freight for their stadiums (namely since they don't want the precedent set)

From the story

(Mark Lamping is the Jags Team President)

Didn't Kroenke basically agree to pay all of the sofi construction stadium and that was part of the allure of it. If so, precedent exists. 

Also, Dalvin Cook formally informed he's being released. Curious to see where he lands and hoping (*cough*Dolphins*cough*). 

34 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Didn't Kroenke basically agree to pay all of the sofi construction stadium and that was part of the allure of it. If so, precedent exists. 

Technically yes but that doesn't count in the NFL's eyes since Kroenke footing the enormous bill was the only way they were getting back into LA - plus the NFL gave Kroenke money for it.

And the stadium houses two teams so again - NFL approved

NFL owners in May approved the Rams borrowing an additional $500 million — believed to be a combination of a private loan to Kroenke and an increased debt limit for the franchise — to help finance the stadium.

“As costs went up as dramatically as they did, the fact that Stan didn’t cut corners or reduce the scope of the project engendered a tremendous amount of goodwill from owners and league executives,” said Marc Ganis, president and founder of the Chicago-based sports consulting firm SportsCorp. “Very few people in the country could have handled the additional debt without it being a strain. Stan is one of the few.”

The Chargers are $1-per-year tenants at the stadium and whose contribution to the construction costs are a $200-million G4 loan from the NFL, as well as revenue generated from the sale of seat licenses and 125 joint Rams-Chargers suites.

In fall 2018, the Chargers announced their new home would feature more than 26,000 seats priced between $50 and $90 per ticket, plus a one-time personal seat license fee of $100.

By comparison, the least expensive Rams seat license is 10 times that. That pricing heightened tensions because it established an eyebrow-raising contrast between the clubs, and offered Kroenke little relief to offset construction costs. At the outset, both teams aimed to sell $400 million in seat licenses.

If the Chargers were to sell one-third of their seat licenses at $100, they would generate $2.6 million, a drop in the bucket for a $5-billion project, and leave Kroenke to shoulder more of the expense.

The NFL is just like WWE in creating their own history

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Also, Dalvin Cook formally informed he's being released. Curious to see where he lands and hoping (*cough*Dolphins*cough*). 

On the other point you wrote, Dalvin is apparently going to choose between Miami, Denver, and the Airplanes. 

• Like 2

The Panthers Jaycee Horn says he is not injury prone

The Panthers Jaycee Horn will also miss the rest of the offseason because he is in a walking boot (left ankle and foot injury)

• Haha 2

On 6/6/2023 at 2:39 PM, Lawful Metal said:

So what's better? 

I can't remember about Deion or Revis but Sherman definitely always picked one side. At least while he was in Seattle. Dunno about his last few years in San Fran.

Apparently after the Vikes said they were cutting Cook, they took it back and tried to negotiate one last trade offer. 

Well, you can imagine how well that went. He's officially been released.

• Haha 2