DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Football is so weird about kickers.

So to summarize, the Jags cut their 23 year old kicker who was 30/35 last year, for a more expensive 31 year old kicker who was 28/36 last year. Of course, McManus is the vet with playoff experience, etc. but it just feels like a weird swap since their kicker was fine last year.

38 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So to summarize, the Jags cut their 23 year old kicker who was 30/35 last year, for a more expensive 31 year old kicker who was 28/36 last year. Of course, McManus is the vet with playoff experience, etc. but it just feels like a weird swap since their kicker was fine last year.

Ah but context matters

McManus did have a down year last year - that being said, he was 20/23 Inside 50, including being a perfect 10/10 from 40-49 (he was 8/13 from 50+ which is a combo of playing in Denver and having a strong leg so you try more hope spots)

Patterson was 10/13 between 40-49 yards and only attempted 3 kicks beyond 50+

Riley's career long is 61 yards (along with having 58 and 57 yarders) which again do curve somewhat for playing in Denver. Patterson's is 53 yards.

And before anyone asks they are basically the same on XPs

It seems fairly clear that the change is being made because McManus has a stronger leg (and because of McManus' experience)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Ah but context matters

McManus did have a down year last year - that being said, he was 20/23 Inside 50, including being a perfect 10/10 from 40-49 (he was 8/13 from 50+ which is a combo of playing in Denver and having a strong leg so you try more hope spots)

Patterson was 10/13 between 40-49 yards and only attempted 3 kicks beyond 50+

Riley's career long is 61 yards (along with having 58 and 57 yarders) which again do curve somewhat for playing in Denver. Patterson's is 53 yards.

And before anyone asks they are basically the same on XPs

It seems fairly clear that the change is being made because McManus has a stronger leg (and because of McManus' experience)

boo context. You're right of course, its just odd to me that after a down year (and him being cut) that another team just couldn't wait to sign him and jettison their own solid kicker.

Whoever created OTAs owes me a fucking apology. Every single offseason,  I have to hear about what happened not a practice,  but prepractice. Who didn't show up for imaginary practice. Who got injured at fake practice. Who stayed late at some shit that was optional in the first place, so now they can't have any more optional practices where you can't actually practice. 

• Like 4

So here is a humorous little thing

So when the Sunday Ticket rights ended with DirecTV - the NFL needed to find a new distributor of the Sunday Ticket to bars, restaurants, etc. So this thing called EverPass Media was created to do so.

Well EverPass outsourced the distribution. The company who they got to do it for them.... DirecTV

So yeah, DirecTV will still be providing the Sunday Ticket. Just to these various commercial businesses (Those places will also get the Thursday, Sunday and Monday night games via DirecTV too)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/25/directv-to-distribute-sunday-ticket-to-bars-and-restaurants-after-all/

5 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Football is so weird about kickers.

Patterson is now with Detroit. If history is any indicator with Detroit and young kickers, he'll be there until 2040.

9 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Patterson is now with Detroit. If history is any indicator with Detroit and young kickers, he'll be there until 2040.

I mean they did already part ways with him once so ya never know

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I mean they did already part ways with him once so ya never know

Just needed some more seasoning. 😉

He was 13-14 for Detroit. What is it with this guy having good years and getting let go? 

I really think it has to do with his leg strength

Like last year he had 88 kickoffs for Jacksonville - only half of them resulted in touchbacks. That was 26th in the league

That seems really low (unless it was a strategic thing the Jags were doing)

Looking it up - the Top 10 teams were 68% or higher

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Cardinals have officially released DeAndre Hopkins

I guess going on a radio show and saying how much you want to play for other QBs was the last straw or something since no one was willing to meet whatever their trade price was. The idea of him on the Bills is exciting but it would take some cap magic.

I'd much rather he go to the Texans than KC. That would have to be the money play though, Texans have a lot more space than Bills/Chiefs. I can understand the "family" factor, but going to the Texans wouldn't be the route to the SB if that was his main goal.

• Like 3

BTW, the flood begins at 4pm.  So, be careful today on Twitter especially since people are paying $8 to post jokes because they're the obviously the funniest people on the planet.  

• Like 1