DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

You shut your dirty mouth lol. We don't need him to show up for a third time. He was also banned for slut shaming Britt Baker / demanding Sammy & Tay publicly apologize for hiding their relationship from him at an autograph signing / trying to fight posters under his first incarnation. The NFL is fixed was his second account gimmick but he was also saying more gross women's wrestling stuff. Don't you make that monkey paw curl damn you.

I remember the Sammy/Tay thing,  and that got really weird really fast. He needed to go,  he was relentlessly ridiculous. It would be one thing if he occasionally said something objectionable,  but he wanted to argue with everybody about his nonsense. He might be my least favorite poster ever... and I've been here for a very long time. 

• Like 2

The owners have tabled Flexible Thursday scheduling. It is possible it will come up in May but who knows

They did agree to a policy where a team can only play up to 2 short week Thursday games a season (so theoretically a team could still play back to back Thursday games which the Cowboys have done a couple of times since that isn't considered a short week)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LF2 said:

Thank you for proving my point. He had two catches for 52 yards (and one of their 3 TDs) in the Super Bowl after having nine catches for 113 yards in the NFC Championship game. The Rams don’t win either game without that production (plus he made it harder to double Cooper Kupp who as a result had amazing games in both). But yes please discredit me.

"He was a large part of that Rams offense" 

38 yards man. C'mon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

"He was a large part of that Rams offense" 

38 yards man. C'mon. 

Look at the two games I referenced. He scored in both, and like I correctly stated he made it harder to double team Kupp. How is that not doing his job or being a big part of the offense?

17 hours ago, LF2 said:

Look at the two games I referenced. He scored in both, and like I correctly stated he made it harder to double team Kupp. How is that not doing his job or being a big part of the offense?

Guys that are a "big part of the offense" produce. 38 yards a game. 

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

Guys that are a "big part of the offense" produce. 38 yards a game. 

Quit trolling. I said during the two most important games of the season he was a big part of the offense. Do you consider the seven regular season games he played in to be more important than the conference title game, and the Super Bowl? Plus during the season he was still learning the offense too. 

• Haha 1

He was definitely playing better for the Rams at the end of the playoff run. He also blew out his knee in the Super Bowl, missed an entire season, and is going to turn 31 a couple months into the upcoming season, an age that most wide receivers usually are in decline by even without his injury history.

I can't imagine anybody gives him big money or any kind of guaranteed money past 2023.

• Like 1

Florio says the Packers have "backed off" the demand for the Jets' 1  (#15 overall) for Aaron.

At this point, I'm guessing they'll be lucky to get the Jets 4 and a six-pack of Nathan's Hot Dogs. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Florio says the Packers have "backed off" the demand for the Jets' 1  (#15 overall) for Aaron.

At this point, I'm guessing they'll be lucky to get the Jets 4 and a six-pack of Nathan's Hot Dogs. 

Unless Florio's update is more recent, last I saw the hang-up was the Jets wanted some condition where if Rodgers retired after one year the 2024 pick would switch to a different round. Which honestly if that is the only thing stopping it, they'll sort that out easy enough.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:13 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

However, "a source" told Florio  (hi Lamar!) that Jackson is 'Ready to move on' from the Ravens. Same source says he does NOT want a fully guaranteed contract. 

Fowler is now saying Lamar doesn't want a fully guaranteed contract, but he wants his guarantee to be bigger than Deshaun's guarantee.  

Semantics can be fun. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Fowler is now saying Lamar doesn't want a fully guaranteed contract, but he wants his guarantee to be bigger than Deshaun's guarantee.  

Semantics can be fun. 

Nobody is going to guarantee $251 million (or more), and I strongly doubt even the biggest Lamar fan here can try saying he’s worth it, because the injuries and the piss poor way he’s handled this situation show he’s not.

• Like 1

OK, so I have a couple questions just to see where opinions are...

Joe Burrow's contract is going to be the next big contract that is due?  If he asked to be the highest paid quarterback in the league, would you pay it?

Last season's big quarterback contracts went to Deshaun Watson, Kyler Murray, and Russell Wilson, if you are Lamar Jackson, would you accept less money than any of them?

If you are the Ravens, what is your plan going forward?  If nothing changes, you owe Lamar Jackson $32 million, but you're still in the same boat going into next season.  You just go into the season with Tyler Huntley?  Do you expect to be competitive in the AFC with a below average quarterback with no skill position talent?  

Just to be fair, I'll answer all three questions.

Yes, you pay it.  If you have Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, or Lamar Jackson, pay them.  Full stop.  If you have any of those guys, you have a better chance at winning a Super Bowl than if you have any of the other quarterbacks in the league.  If you have Trevor Lawrence and/or Jalen Hurts, you should probably pay them too, but those first 5 guys I named have been around long enough to show that their success is not a fluke.  I wouldn't pay anyone else a long term, big money contract.  If you have one of the above guys, you have a huge advantage.  If you don't, it's better to try to spread that money around and try to win with having a great all-around team.

I wouldn't take one cent less than any of those guys.

I have no fucking idea what the Ravens can do if Lamar isn't there.  Nothing they do on offense makes sense if he's not the quarterback.  Not only that, they just hired a new offensive coordinator, they kind of have to start working on whatever they are going to do this season.  Until they figure this out, they can't possibly feel comfortable with the direction of the team.  Other than Mahomes and Allen, I don't think there is a more important player to their team than Lamar Jackson.  Burrow is very important, but that offense is good enough at the skill positions that I think they could at least be competitive with a replacement level quarterback, but Burrow makes them a Super Bowl contender.  

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Joe Burrow's contract is going to be the next big contract that is due?  If he asked to be the highest paid quarterback in the league, would you pay it?

Last season's big quarterback contracts went to Deshaun Watson, Kyler Murray, and Russell Wilson, if you are Lamar Jackson, would you accept less money than any of them?

If you are the Ravens, what is your plan going forward?  If nothing changes, you owe Lamar Jackson $32 million, but you're still in the same boat going into next season.  You just go into the season with Tyler Huntley?  Do you expect to be competitive in the AFC with a below average quarterback with no skill position talent?  

Just to be fair, I'll answer all three questions.

Yes, you pay it.  If you have Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, or Lamar Jackson, pay them.  Full stop.  If you have any of those guys, you have a better chance at winning a Super Bowl than if you have any of the other quarterbacks in the league.  If you have Trevor Lawrence and/or Jalen Hurts, you should probably pay them too, but those first 5 guys I named have been around long enough to show that their success is not a fluke.  I wouldn't pay anyone else a long term, big money contract.  If you have one of the above guys, you have a huge advantage.  If you don't, it's better to try to spread that money around and try to win with having a great all-around team.

I wouldn't take one cent less than any of those guys.

I have no fucking idea what the Ravens can do if Lamar isn't there.  Nothing they do on offense makes sense if he's not the quarterback.  Not only that, they just hired a new offensive coordinator, they kind of have to start working on whatever they are going to do this season.  Until they figure this out, they can't possibly feel comfortable with the direction of the team.  Other than Mahomes and Allen, I don't think there is a more important player to their team than Lamar Jackson.  Burrow is very important, but that offense is good enough at the skill positions that I think they could at least be competitive with a replacement level quarterback, but Burrow makes them a Super Bowl contender.  

How many Super Bowls has Jackson led the Ravens to? Better yet since you brought up both Allen and Burrow how many conference title games has he led the Ravens to? His playoff record is beyond abysmal, and his only career playoff win is against Ryan Tannehill. 

Based on both of those things I wouldn’t overpay to keep him no. You can’t just say well player X got money so he should. The Ravens aren’t run as poorly as Denver or Arizona so guess what while those two teams overpaid (like idiots) for their QBs that doesn’t mean everyone should. 

I’m not saying Huntley is the answer either as I don’t believe he is. I think their best option is to hope someone signs Lamar to an offer sheet, and let him walk. Then use one of the first round picks they’ll receive (or their own if they’re picking in the top 5 which is highly possible) to grab a QB in 2024. They’re not winning the division this year anyhow. Plus getting past Buffalo, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Miami (if Tua is healthy), and Jacksonville doesn’t seem feasible either even with Lamar. Plus he’s 100% a system QB. You put him in an offense that makes him throw 35-40 times a game he’s screwed. When it comes to actual skill Allen and Mahomes are miles ahead of him as they’re not just run first QBs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

To be fair before I answer, I don't think *quite* as highly of Lamar as you do. I think his magical year in 2019 he definitely deserves credit for, but it was also an offense tailored to his exact skillset combined with a good running game and smart play-calling. I do think Lamar is very good, with potential to be great in the right setting but I don't think he is at that top tier of QBs in the NFL. I've watched a lot of Ravens games as my brother is a Ravens fans and we watch them together, not saying that makes my opinion better than anyone else's here but at least its based on what I've seen myself and not just from stats or information from experts.

Yes, I'd make Burrow the highest paid player if he continues to play in 2023 as he did in 2021 and 2022. There is always that asterisk as 'highest paid' can apply to either AVG or guaranteed money but by the time he signs his big deal the cap should be high enough that he will probably be the highest in both.

That's the toughest question, right? To get two out of the way, Lamar should get more money than Kyler and Russell so we can put them to the side. Watson is tougher. The Watson contract was incredibly stupid, we all said it at the time and we are all still saying it. NFL owners, agents, everyone knows it was stupid. If I was Lamar and I wanted to get paid, I'd be looking for a higher AVG than all of them but accept the fact teams may not repeat the stupidity of the guaranteed amount. The AVG for Wilson, Murray, and Watson was 48 mil, 46 mil, and 46 mil. If I was Lamar I'd be aiming to notch over them all in AVG (something like 250 mil over 5 years) but accept the fact my guaranteed may be closer to the deals of the first two (GTD at signing for them was 51% and 45%). So maybe I'd aim for 60% to be well over them but expecting to top Watson I think isn't going to happen. I know some people don't like the "a" word but that is where an agent would come in handy, as an agent could "backdoor" gather info from GMs and go to Lamar with "look, no one is paying 240 mil guaranteed but we can get this and this and this instead" which I think is the dialogue missing right now for him.

The Ravens are certainly likely to be screwed for 2023, no argument there. They may be able to do a training camp trade for Lance or something if Purdy is healthy, but more likely I think they'd write the season off and try again next offseason. That doesn't mean I think they should give Lamar anything he wants, they still have to be able to construct a team around him, but they don't have a better option. But its too early to know yet how that smoke will clear, as they still could work out a trade for Lamar and use the draft picks to get a new QB, too soon to fully analyze their final situation come September.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1