DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

54 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I can't find exactly who it was (it might have been Jeremy Fowler) but the entire Lamar to New England thing started because someone (again I am still looking) - tweeted that they though the Pats maybe interested.

So again the tiniest of speculation that has now morphed into LAMAR AND BELICHECK SITTING IN A TREE!!!!

However, "a source" told Florio  (hi Lamar!) that Jackson is 'Ready to move on' from the Ravens. Same source says he does NOT want a fully guaranteed contract. 

Trent Sherfield signed with the Bills, and depending on how you take it, immediately began crapping on the Dolphins and Tua.  Though, supposedly the context is he wanted to stay but Miami was moving on.  Whatever, F him.

Moving on, Fletcher Cox took a hometown discount to stay in Philly for $10m. 

Also, Odell still hasn't signed but word is he was initially asking for $15-$20m but has since dropped back because no one was willing to pay that for a WR coming off a catastrophic injury who was already losing a step.  

And last, here's Cam's possibly best throw at the Auburn Pro Day yesterday:

There was another where he sailed one about 10 yards over the WR's head, but it seems the good outweighed the bad.  

Tony Pollard has signed his Franchise tag with Dallas.  He'll make $10.1m this year, he has until 7/17 to sign a long term deal. 

And, prepare your shocked face....  the Jets and Packers "haven't talked much" this week about Rodgers. 

Green Bay wants the Jets' 1 (#13 overall), "and that's not all they want." 

New York is not willing to pay that (yet). Also, Schefter says their acquisition of the #42 pick is not related to the Rodgers negotiations. 

They’ll get a deal done eventually.  Packers aren’t going to keep him on the roster and have nothing to gain from not getting the deal done.  A number of talking heads I listen to think GB is intentionally dragging their feet because Rodgers is an ass and the team doesn’t have to cater to him anymore

Meanwhile, the league felt obliged to send out a memo about the family friend who is allegedly contacting teams on Lamar Jackson’s behalf.  Family friend isn’t certified so teams can’t talk to him.  Jackson and the guy both deny it but this story has been around since at least the beginning of the week, so smoke, fire etc. etc. etc.  Lol, I really hope the league isn’t colluding against Jackson.  There’s really no reason to. Watson shouldn’t hsve gotten his guaranteed contract last year and I can think of several reasons not to chase after Jackson,   There’s a growing suspicion that Jackson won’t get a better offer and won’t sign the tender offer.  Ravens seem to be considering offering him $40 or $50 million for one year, but Jackson still wants $200 or $250 so you run the risk of having him repeating this season and essentially refusing to play if ne gets a llittle hurt,

The salary cap thing makes me laugh.  If someone does offer LJ, say, $250/$200 mil guaranteed, the salary counts against this year’s salary cap until Baltimore either matches the offer or declines to match it.  Since most people think Baltimore would match any offer made, a team could find itself in the postion of having $50 million or so count against its cap while Baltimore puts its feet up and waits five days to match the offer, hoping to keep the other team from signing anyone while they piddle around.

i don’t think Jackson gets to this spot if he has an agent,  I think an agent gets him a new deal two years ago and things never get to this point,  Jackson has unwittingly become great free advertising for why you need to hire an agent,  

• Like 1

You maybe smart in real life, but that doesn't mean you are qualified to negotiate deals like this. If this was MLB, you could probably do a deal with out an agent, but with all the bullshit put in NFL contracts, you need someone doing it for you.  Is it collusion if the entire league doesn't want to deal with you because you are a pain in the ass that is possibly injury prone? Pennywise and pound foolish. . . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The owners will be taking a vote on bringing flex scheduling to Thursday night games

So there will be flex scheduling for Thursday night games

bad for competitive balance and player safety

FAN-FRICKING-TASTIC for conspiracy crafting, especially w.r.t. those minor injuries where 3 days make the difference between "probable" and "out"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The owners will be taking a vote on bringing flex scheduling to Thursday night games

So there will be flex scheduling for Thursday night games

Someone over there realized that Amazon paid money to broadcast those games. 

• Like 4

Good Morning Football talked a lot about Lamar Jackson's Shadow agent who is a Florida Inventor of a Home Fitness. Lamar tweeted out that he is not his agent but then promoted his Home Fitness in the next tweet. Kyle Brandt wanted to talk about it the whole show if they would let him. 

From the reporting I have found so far - the only rule change that looks like it is going to pass is moving a touchback on a punt to the 25 yard line (it also seems that part of the proposal is if you fair catch a kickoff inside the 20, that too will go to the 25 yard line)

Usual citation of "safety measures" here