DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I can't stand Rodgers both as a football player and as a human being, but come on. He's thrown 370 more touchdowns than interceptions. For his career he's thrown interceptions on just 1.4% of his passes.

I think you can make some valid claims that he choked a few times in the playoffs, but pre-Mahomes he was the most talented QB in NFL history, and an easy top ten, probably top five QB ever.

Top 5? I’d struggle putting him over Brady, Montana, Peyton Manning, Marino, and Elway just off the top of my head. Top 10 I’d consider though. 

475 touchdowns versus 300

105 ints versus 226

103.9 passer rating against 79.9

6.2% touchdown rate versus 4.1%

1.4% int rate versus 3.1%

4 MVPs versus 1

Higher yards per attempt, adjusted yards per attempt, net yards per attempt, and adjusted net yards per attempt.

Even sack rate goes slightly to Rodgers 6.5% to 6.6%

I know football has changed a lot and it's not a completely fair comparison, but Rodgers numbers are overwhelmingly better than Elway's.

• Like 4

I know this part of the discussion has been done to death but you have to look at the era. Stats are inflated and they haven’t even peaked yet. Rodger’s stats will be demolished by Mahomes faster than Montana’s, Favre’s and Marino’s were if it keeps going the way it’s going. We’ve seen quarterbacks with losing seasons in this era break single season records that those guys had. Then there’s the statpadding that goes on. I don’t know Rodgers to have ever done that but others sure have. The 1 record that doesn’t get smashed every week is the TD:INT ratio, but the top 10 single season bests includes Rodgers more than once, some Chiefs quarterback I had to Google named Huard, Josh McCown, Foles, and a recent Brady season. The alltime list is a little better but it has Cousin and Kaep tied at 10 and Dak at 9, and everybody else in the list are quarterbacks who have came into the league since. That’s not a coincidence.

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I know this part of the discussion has been done to death but you have to look at the era. Stats are inflated and they haven’t even peaked yet. Rodger’s stats will be demolished by Mahomes faster than Montana’s, Favre’s and Marino’s were if it keeps going the way it’s going. We’ve seen quarterbacks with losing seasons in this era break single season records that those guys had. Then there’s the statpadding that goes on. I don’t know Rodgers to have ever done that but others sure have. 

The eras argument is certainly legitimate and one I agree with, except no one will ever agree for sure where the "eras" start and end (and obviously players with long careers could end up in two different eras). I don't think Mahomes is a great comparison to use as he's already won two MVPs/two Super Bowls and is likely better than Rodgers anyway regardless of era at his current pace, but the point certainly stands. Players like Carr and Cousins have enjoyed this era and the stat padding with them is real.

The main stat impacted by this of course is passing yards. Passing yards is a pretty useless stat these days when comparing past to present. All the 'modern' QBs debuting after say 2015 that start at least 12 seasons will pass every QB that finished their careers in the 90s and earlier in passing yards except Marino since he was on his own special level. HOF voters and fans will just have to get smarter when comparing QBs by looking at other stats (things like TD%, INT%, and even QBR which I don't love but still at least tries to factor in 'everything' and discourages stat padding). MVP is a fair metric as well since players are being compared to their own competition. 

Mahomes is a good comparison because of how he blows it up IMO. He wins, and while his his stats are insane, I don’t think them alone are the reason he wins. He wins because he’s clutch, because he extends plays, and because he takes chances. Not quite as many as Favre, but he’s closer to a Gunslinger than he is a safe player IMO. 

I’m actually more and more on the fence about MVPs as years go by but not because I’m just trying to blow up everything you’re saying. I’m more on the fence about them for a reason you suggested. The voters are just so dang lazy and it seems like they’re even bigger homers than the fans sometimes. They don’t even look at the other guys on the field and they don’t even acknowledge how obvious it is that the prettiest little quarterback is about to go 1 n done so many times. Granted that wasn’t what happened this year but it was because it was Mahomes who everybody has pegged as the...aw you know lol! I don’t like saying it even now because of how many times I’ve been wrong myself. 

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

475 touchdowns versus 300

105 ints versus 226

103.9 passer rating against 79.9

6.2% touchdown rate versus 4.1%

1.4% int rate versus 3.1%

4 MVPs versus 1

Higher yards per attempt, adjusted yards per attempt, net yards per attempt, and adjusted net yards per attempt.

Even sack rate goes slightly to Rodgers 6.5% to 6.6%

I know football has changed a lot and it's not a completely fair comparison, but Rodgers numbers are overwhelmingly better than Elway's.

Thank you. Rodgers is A LOT better than Elway was. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Rapaport is reporting that Devin Singletary is going to Houston. 

To replace him, the Bills are picking up Damien Harris.

Cleveland's new backup QB is Josh Dobbs. 

I thought Singletary would do a bit better than a low one year contract as a backup on a team that isn't going to the playoffs, the Bills must have really not wanted him back. Harris is pretty solid, don't see it as a drop off, curious to see what his contract is.

Cam Newton is throwing at Auburn's pro day in the hopes someone will sign him

“Tell me how these randoms keep getting jobs,” Newton says during the video before later adding, “Ain’t 32 mother [expletive] better than me. You dig?”

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I have bad news for Cam, there are 32 better QBs than him. Now I am less sure there are 64 better QBs than him and he deserves a shot if he is willing to be a backup, but he's looked pretty rough the last few times we saw him as a starter and he's not getting any younger which doesn't help.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I have bad news for Cam, there are 32 better QBs than him. Now I am less sure there are 64 better QBs than him and he deserves a shot if he is willing to be a backup, but he's looked pretty rough the last few times we saw him as a starter and he's not getting any younger which doesn't help.

The thing about Cam is if Cam is in your locker room, it's Cam's locker room. You can't have Baker Mayfield as a starter and Cam as a backup. People tend to love Cam, and you can't have him sitting behind someone they only like. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The thing about Cam is if Cam is in your locker room, it's Cam's locker room. You can't have Baker Mayfield as a starter and Cam as a backup. People tend to love Cam, and you can't have him sitting behind someone they only like. 

And that's why his career is over.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

And that's why his career is over.

Yes, that and he's physically broken. He was a much the Panthers fullback as he was the quarterback. Once the injuries started stacking up, he was pretty much done. With that said,  he was really fucking good at his best.

I can't think of another time where the best quarterback of a particular season lost to the worst quarterback of that particular season in the Super Bowl,  but that's exactly what happened when the Panthers lost to the Broncos in Super Bowl 50.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Did Cam not watch the game tape of his last couple seasons??

He probably did, but I don't think he came to same conclusions as everyone else.  Denial is a hell of a drug.  

And speaking of free agent QB's....   rumors are that Tennessee and New England(!!!) are talking to Lamar.    If he ends up a Patriot, I will firebomb the entire city of Foxboro. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

.    If he ends up a Patriot, I will firebomb the entire city of Foxboro. 

Don't do that yet.  I got a job out that way in couple months and there's a pretty good bar in the mall next to the Stadium.

• Like 2

I can't find exactly who it was (it might have been Jeremy Fowler) but the entire Lamar to New England thing started because someone (again I am still looking) - tweeted that they though the Pats maybe interested.

So again the tiniest of speculation that has now morphed into LAMAR AND BELICHECK SITTING IN A TREE!!!!

EDIT

A-HA!!! It was Fowler

ESPN NFL insider Jeremy Fowler recently cited the Patriots as a “wild card” for Jackson’s services.

“Right now there’s no real firm offer sheet for Lamar Jackson that I’m aware of,” Fowler said on ESPN “SportsCenter” over the weekend.

“Teams are probably slow-playing this. The draft could be a good indicator because you have a team like the Colts at No. 4. If they feel like they can’t get the quarterback of the future they wanted to draft maybe they pivot to Lamar Jackson.

“The Jets, if they strike out with Aaron Rodgers, certainly that’s not expected, but they could pivot.

“And then you got some wild cards like Tennessee or New England. Teams that like to run the ball. You never know.”

55 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Did Cam not watch the game tape of his last couple seasons??

What is it about Cam Newton that makes you believe that he doesn't have 100% confidence in his ability to do anything? The reason you can't have Cam as a backup is because he believes that he can win all by himself and everyone else on the team will believe too. That's valuable when he can play well,  it's detrimental when he cannot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah who wouldn't want a guy who is 7-15 with 12 TDs and 16 INTs in his last three seasons as a starter? 

• Like 2