DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not sure what his ceiling is, but I kinda suspect it's "more athletic Kirk Cousins"

You're underrating Kirk Cousins. The reason Kirk sleeps on a bed of money every night is because he produces at a rate that you can't readily replace with anyone else. He averages about 30 TDs a season, and you can't really hope to replace that with a rookie or any available free agent. He isn't great,  but the league usually only has about 3-5 great quarterbacks. He is both the ceiling and the floor for his team in a way that is going to keep his team from winning anything significant,  but you'll always be in contention for as playoff spot. He's basically Joe Johnson,  he was getting paid more than LeBron and Kobe to get the Hawks to the 6th seed every year. The Hawks could have traded him, but they couldn't expect a better player in return and without him the Hawks would be an afterthought. It's a sweet spot for a professional athlete. 

• Like 2

Also, it's restructure szn!

LA restructures Mike Williams and Keenan Allen for $14.4m in new cap space.

Carolina restructures Taylor Morton.  They get $11m in new cap.

Miami restructures Bradley Chubb.  They get $14.7m in new space. 

44 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Lucy pulls the football in 3... 2... 1...

Is it possible to have a Lucy situation and still kick the ball.  I mean we all remember the last time a Packer QB maybe past his prime was traded to the Jets 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Is it possible to have a Lucy situation and still kick the ball.  I mean we all remember the last time aPacker QB maybe past his prime was traded to the Jets 

A bunch of puritanical sportswriters found out that people take pictures of themselves and sending them unsolicitedly to others?    

Yes, that picture is still seared into my head.  Thanks.  😕 

9 minutes ago, hammerva said:

According to Schefter, the Vikings may release Adam Thielen.   That is would be a huge free agent pick up for many teams if it happens

His best days are about 5 years behind him. He could contribute for someone who already has a strong receiving corp, but I don't think he's a difference maker any more. Honestly,  being Jefferson's running mate is kind of an idea role for him. The amount of attention that Jefferson attracts let's him use his veteran savvy to get open against #2 or #3 cornerbacks.  He was really fucking good at his best, but I think the injuries and the years have caught up with him. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, it's restructure szn!

LA restructures Mike Williams and Keenan Allen for $14.4m in new cap space.

Carolina restructures Taylor Morton.  They get $11m in new cap.

Miami restructures Bradley Chubb.  They get $14.7m in new space. 

The Jets tried to restructure Braxton Berrios but then realized, "oh no wait..."  and are releasing him instead.  ($5m in cap saved)

Also, they're trading a 2024 7th to Baltimore for S Chuck Clark. 

They should suspend Watson for a year, after all he was generally aware that he was helping the Texans circumvent the salary cap. No, I don't think the penalty he got previously was ridiculously light, why do you ask? (the true punch line is "generally Aware", I will never give up being bitter about that)

• Haha 3

Am I crazy or should the Jetsstop talking to Aaron Rodgers and just pay whatever for Lamar Jackson? It's probably going to be around the same dollar amount,  but instead of getting a 40 year old you're getting a26 year old. You have both running backs and receivers,  and a good thing defense. You are the Jets you're going to fuck up this 2 draft picks any way,  go ahead and send them to Baltimore for someone who could very easily be the best player in franchise history 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Am I crazy or should the Jetsstop talking to Aaron Rodgers and just pay whatever for Lamar Jackson? It's probably going to be around the same dollar amount,  but instead of getting a 40 year old you're getting a26 year old. You have both running backs and receivers,  and a good thing defense. You are the Jets you're going to fuck up this 2 draft picks any way,  go ahead and send them to Baltimore for someone who could very easily be the best player in franchise history 

You aren't overly crazy, but I still think the "pay whatever" part of it is part of the problem and why they are shying away. I wish Lamar had better people in his ear as he really needs an agent, it gets complicated when you are a free agent and are trying to be one of the highest paid players in the league. I have no issue with the collusion theory but from every 'anonymous' interview with an agent or GM the one thing everyone agrees on is he needs an agent to help him get what he wants (or as close to it as possible) so I don't think he is doing himself any favors.

I don't think the Jets are out of the running though and wouldn't be surprised if their name comes up as a potential suitor if the Rodgers thing doesn't work out.

• Like 2

I mean the thing is, if the Rodgers deal falls through, they've got Lamar, Jimmy G (who the NYC media will tear apart like jackals), and then.... 

Well, probably trading up in the draft to get Bryce, but that's absolutely going to cost them two 1's, plus a lot more.   Plus then they have to sign someone like Carson Wentz because they need a stopgap.  

Like I've said, last season the Jets were a QB away from being a god damned problem for everyone.  Fortunately, they had possibly the worst QB room in the league.  

So, I agree with Supreme, I think they're making a mistake going for AR12 and should be focusing on how many Brinks trucks it would take to build Lamar a house made entirely out of money.  

• Like 1

I think the no agent thing is a red herring. He's an elite NFL quarterback,  the negotiation isn't that difficult. His argument is the same as every other quarterback ever. The last guy got this, I'm better than him so I should get that. That doesn't take some kind of genius. It's his turn and someone is going to give him the money,  because that's the game everyone signed up to play. Everybody is pointing at the Watson contract and totally ignoring the fact that it was the result of a multiple team bidding war. The Browns didn't start with the contract they gave him,  they paid that because anything else wouldn't have been enough. Nobody else was going to guarantee the contract,  but the contract was pretty much the contract other people were offering with the guarantee. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson got similar contracts,  and none of those players are worth what Lamar Jackson is worth in the field. The price is the price and the Ravens can deny the price,  but that's the price. That doesn't require an agent. 

Edited by supremebve

It's the funniest god damned thing in the world to me to know that Zach Wilson is still on the roster, and everyone else on the team is trying desperately to make sure he never starts another game for them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I think the no agent thing is a red herring. He's an elite NFL quarterback,  the negotiation isn't that difficult. His argument is the same as every other quarterback ever. The last guy got this, I'm better than him so I should get that. That doesn't take some kind of genius. It's his turn and someone is going to give him the money,  because that's the game everyone signed up to play. Everybody is pointing at the Watson contract and totally ignoring the fact that it was the result of a multiple team bidding war. The Browns didn't start with the contract they gave him,  they paid that because anything else wouldn't have been enough. Nobody else was going to guarantee the contract,  but the contract was pretty much the contract other people were offering with the guarantee. Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson got similar contracts,  and none of those players are worth what Lamar Jackson is worth in the field. The price is the price and the Ravens can deny the price,  but that's the price. That doesn't require an agent. 

You could be right, but at the moment all evidence is that it isn't that simple and I trust the opinions of people that are in the NFL 'money game' which no one has has ever claimed is fair or easy. Would Murray or Watson gotten their contracts without agents to work through it? If the Browns were literally the only team dumb enough to fully guarantee a contract of that length and amount, and they are out of the running, that doesn't mean now another team is going to do it. That's when an agent comes in handy to bridge the gap and get the best deal he can, they have experience in negotiating and relationships with the GMs, whether personal or from other clients being on the teams. Lamar is football smart and could very well be real life smart but that doesn't mean he is 'negotiate a $250 million contract in the NFL world' smart, it feels more like being stubborn than anything else and its not doing him any favors at the moment. I hope he gets his money as he deserves it but I'm still leaning towards him being a Raven next year unless there is secret negotiations going on we don't know about.

Even LeBron James and Michael Jordan had agents, its just not as simple as 'I'm the best so pay me the most,' there are so many things that go into it.

• Like 2

Random bits of news

The Vikings have officially released Adam Thielen

The Saints have offered Jameis Winston a restructured deal and he has to Wednesday to accept or he will be released (due to the start of the new league year)

The Eagles are allowing Darius Slay to seek a trade

Well, aside from the Jets, the other teams that make sense for Lamar are Las Vegas and much, much more interestingly Minnesota.  

The Vikes are the teams I'd watch in terms of a "secret deal".  The Raiders are probably too cash poor to realistically make a deal, and all indications are after kicking the tires on both Rodgers and Jackson, they're going to go to the draft for their QB.   

41 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, aside from the Jets, the other teams that make sense for Lamar are Las Vegas and much, much more interestingly Minnesota.  

The Vikes are the teams I'd watch in terms of a "secret deal".  The Raiders are probably too cash poor to realistically make a deal, and all indications are after kicking the tires on both Rodgers and Jackson, they're going to go to the draft for their QB.   

I'd be in favor of Lamar going to the NFC so I don't have to deal with him anymore, every Bills/Ravens game is too close for my comfort. 

• Like 1

Embedding still sucks, so...

Schefter reports that Miami has converted Tyreek's deal next year from a $16m salary with a $10m bonus into a $1m salary with a $25m bonus.  

This will save Miami about $18m on the cap. 

(Look, I dunno if this the plan or not, but the Head of the Table could use a king in his court...)

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Embedding still sucks, so...

Schefter reports that Miami has converted Tyreek's deal next year from a $16m salary with a $10m bonus into a $1m salary with a $25m bonus.  

This will save Miami about $18m on the cap. 

(Look, I dunno if this the plan or not, but the Head of the Table could use a king in his court...)

Dolphins were ok on the cap, wonder what they are up to.