DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Per Barnwell - two franchise tags would be $71.3 million (based on the current structure)

And from all reporting I can see - any deal Jones would sign would be basically 2 years of big money and then Giants could get out relatively cheaply (like the deals both Carr and Geno just signed)

But he apparently slaughtered a bus full of children so the Giants need to start Tyrod Taylor next year I guess

OH! God I knew I wanted to mentioned something

The big reason the Giants don't want to tag Jones is because if they don't use the tag on him, they can tag Saquon

If they can't tag Saquon - decent chance he won't still be with the team

Random bits of news

- As reported by everyone - Aaron Rodgers has indeed started talking to the Jets

- The Titans are reportedly shopping Derrick Henry (the report is from Michael Silver who says multiple GMs told him that - take that for what it is worth)

- KC will be releasing DE Frank Clark (his cap hit was supposed to be $28.68 million)

- The Bengals will not be tagging S Jessie Bates a 2nd time so he will become a FA

15 hours ago, supremebve said:

No it's not.  I understand why you might be reluctant to give Geno a long term deal, but he was legitimately great last season.  Daniel Jones was below average.  You cannot pay a quarterback who only throws 15 touchdowns per season.  Honestly, there is not a single quarterback in the entire league who played as much as him but scored less than him.  He is not good, he's just so much better than you expected that you think he is better than he was.  Understand that his 15 touchdown season is so much better than you expected that you forget that he only threw 15  touchdowns.  Dak Prescott, who had the worst quarterbacking year of his life, threw 23 touchdowns in 12 games.  If you have a quarterback who played 16 games and throws 15 touchdowns it is time to find a new quarterback.  Do you remember how terrible Carson Wentz was as a Colt?  He threw 27 touchdowns.  Do you remember Big Ben's last season where he could barely throw it past the line of scrimmage?  22 touchdowns.  The season where the Bears decided to put Mitch Trubisky on the curb, he threw 16 touchdowns in 10 games.  He's the living definition of replacement level.  Do not give him a long-term contract.

I agree with you almost completely.  But….. Geno’s getting paid on the basis of one very good-to-great year out of 10.  He was a backup either of those years and barely played.  If the market determines that he’s worth $35 mil based only on his tenth year in the league, $40 mil for D. Jones isn’t that much of a stretch.

Honesty, they’re both ogling to live overpaid, imo, so my suggestion would be whoever is behind door no. 3 in both cases.

36 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I agree with you almost completely.  But….. Geno’s getting paid on the basis of one very good-to-great year out of 10.  He was a backup either of those years and barely played.  If the market determines that he’s worth $35 mil based only on his tenth year in the league, $40 mil for D. Jones isn’t that much of a stretch.

Honesty, they’re both ogling to live overpaid, imo, so my suggestion would be whoever is behind door no. 3 in both cases.

The main question though is, who can you get at a similar price that's as good or better.  The list as of now:  Rodgers (who you'll get for 2 years tops), Handsome Jimmy (who's made of fine crystal), and Lamar (who you'll have to pay literally half a billion dollars for).  After that, the list gets dire very quickly.  

So, you have the serviceable Danny Dimes (or Seattle's case Geno)  

You look at Rippa's sign...   and you open the checkbook.  

• Like 2

Just now, hammerva said:

wait is the Tom Brady to the Dolphins thing back again?

Yes - because Rich Eisen threw it out on his radio show that apparently "multiple people at the combine" told him it could happen (oh and of the reasons listed to why? Brady lives in Florida and "hasn't gotten fat yet")

So basically clickbait in radio form but everyone is running with it

17 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Seriously, I want everyone to do an exercise (I know you won't but still) and go back 10 years and look at all the non-rookie quarterbacks who threw 15 or fewer touchdowns in 16 or more games.  When you look at that list, which is really small, ask yourself whether or not you'd want any of those quarterbacks on your team.  I don't believe you'd want any of them on your team.  Daniel Jones has a career touchdown percentage of 3.4% which ranks 191st out of 210 quarterbacks who have thrown enough passes to rate.  The only active quarterbacks with a worse TD% are Blaine Gabbert, Jacoby Brissett, and Chad Henne.  Replacing him with pretty much any NFL level quarterback would be an improvement.  

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

wait is the Tom Brady to the Dolphins thing back again?

Rich Eisen "talked to people" at the Combine who said he's thinking about it.  Couple that with the Dolphins "exploring all options at QB" as reported over the weekend.

And you get me being very, very tired.  

I'm assuming Miami is quietly negotiating a Tua extension at something below the insane market rate.  Probably in the 5/180-200 range.  Then hopefully using the savings to buy him more protection on the line. 

2 minutes ago, elizium said:

How did Daniel Jones hurt you?

My favorite part is how Jones' 7 rushing TDs is constantly ignored

Because 22 total TDs doesn't make his point as well at 15 passing TDs (to arguably the worst WR group in the league last season)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RIPPA said:

Dolfan didn't refresh the thread before hitting post

Oh I saw what you wrote, I just wanted to add in the extension stuff.   

Besides, the only other thing I've heard is the insane people on Dolphins twitter who want to throw everything into cap hell and get Lamar.   Which would lead to a lot of 56-52 final scores, just most of them not going Miami's way. 

Just now, elizium said:

How did Daniel Jones hurt you?

This has nothing to do with Daniel Jones and everything to do with people trying to tell me he's good when he's so clearly bad.  

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

My favorite part is how Jones' 7 rushing TDs is constantly ignored

Because 22 total TDs doesn't make his point as well at 15 passing TDs (to arguably the worst WR group in the league last season)

QB rushing touchdowns are rarely replicable year over year and even if it was Jones has never scored more than 2 rushing touchdowns in any other season.  Cam Newton is the most prolific quarterback in NFL history when it comes to rushing touchdowns, and he's only rushed for 7 or more touchdowns in 4 of 10 seasons and only did it back to back once.  Paying Jones is betting on him having a completely and totally unprecedented improvement.  It would be a much better bet to let him walk and find literally anyone else.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Yes - because Rich Eisen threw it out on his radio show that apparently "multiple people at the combine" told him it could happen (oh and of the reasons listed to why? Brady lives in Florida and "hasn't gotten fat yet")

So basically clickbait in radio form but everyone is running with it

I give it 6 weeks before he gets sick of the cat and his kid (again).

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

A giant rack of Jets front office folks have flown to meet Aaron Rodgers in person

Meanwhile a lot of Jets players are using social media to try and recruit him

Let us get a look in at Zack Wilson

8-Sad-drinking-gif.gif

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Man, how the hell do you fuck up the relationship with a 26 year old former MVP who is literally the difference between your offense being good or not even functional?

They seriously weren't willing to give him guaranteed money?

• Like 1

In another tweet - Bill uses the example of that the Texans might not want to give up two #1s but if they are willing to give up the #2 pick - the Ravens would definitely listen

27 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Man, how the hell do you fuck up the relationship with a 26 year old former MVP who is literally the difference between your offense being good or not even functional?

They seriously weren't willing to give him guaranteed money?

Lamar has looked slightly worse every year since his MVP year and ended the last two years injured. I wouldn't want to give him a six year fully guaranteed contract for $50 mil+ a year either. (yes I made up that contract number but from various leaks I wouldn't be surprised if that ballpark what he wanted). The offense wasn't functional because they never invested in a real backup, we can assume if Lamar is gone they won't roll with Huntley (probably).

Either a team is going to go crazy with a contract and the Ravens get two first round draft picks they can use to trade up and get any QB they want for much cheaper, or they get Lamar for another year at $32 mil and he gets a chance to show off. Feels like a win-win, if Lamar is right he'll get his money, if the Ravens are right they'll play it back for another year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Falcons have completely pulled out of the Lamar Jackson sweepstakes. Atlanta's official twitter account retweeted the ESPN article.  

Of course, as has been noted, this is Lying Season, so take even this with several heaping grains of salt.