DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

2 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Part of that reason being Namath played in the era when your standard NFL pass defense was “commit aggravated assault on either the QB and the WR or better yet both”

Not to mention passing attacks mostly being "oh fuck it's third and long, just chuck it down there and hope our guy catches it."

• Like 2

Fritz Von Erich voice ON

There's a conspiracy against our Cowboys. The NFL knows if things were fair, the Cowboys would win every year. The NFL is just like Jimmy Carter when he decided to deny my boy Kerry a chance to win an Olympic Gold Medal when he boycotted the Olympics. I have Five Boys and all Five of them will be World Champions. Jerry Jones made the worst mistake of his life firing a great coach like Tom Landry. If he just hired the next Tom Landry, the Cowboys could overcome the conspiracy.

Fritz Von Erich voice OFF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Russ is also getting a new QB coach

Davis Webb who just retired, oh, and is only 28

(To be fair - the retired part was expected as that was part of the reason who got the start in the last game of the regular season. He had already been talking to the Giants about switching to coaching)

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Russ is also getting a new QB coach

Davis Webb who just retired, oh, and is only 28

(To be fair - the retired part was expected as that was part of the reason who got the start in the last game of the regular season. He had already been talking to the Giants about switching to coaching)

So they gave him the start just so he could say he once started in the NFL? That's kinda cool. 

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Athletic is reporting that last off-season, Russ demanded Seattle HC Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider be fired.

He was promptly traded to Denver.

Even if it's not, this story sure sounds like something that could be true. 

It's weird how out of the relatively modern crop of upper echelon QBs, it's turning out that the Mannings are the only ones who aren't/weren't psycho.  Well, them and Kurt Warner.  Even Brees has done some boneheaded shit. Russ' whole Christian act was my tip-off for him around the time he got drafted.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

It's weird how out of the relatively modern crop of upper echelon QBs, it's turning out that the Mannings are the only ones who aren't/weren't psycho.  Well, them and Kurt Warner.  Even Brees has done some boneheaded shit. Russ' whole Christian act was my tip-off for him around the time he got drafted.

Didn’t Eli refuse to play for certain teams when he was drafted? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I feel like this is an opening for someone to go over Peyton's college sexual harassment accusations again. Kurt Warner seemed pretty solid though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And got two Super Bowl rings for doing so

I would call that smart

Sure, and definitely doesn't meet the definition of "psycho" but more a reminder that even the Mannings had their moments.

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Russ' whole Christian act was my tip-off for him around the time he got drafted.

Pardon my naivety, but how is being a Christian a tip-off that he’s a “psycho”.

I don’t think trying to get his coach and gm fired is indicative of much except that Russ badly overestimated his value to the franchise.  Power struggles between coaches and athletes are common in pro sports.

Edited by Mario

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

It's weird how out of the relatively modern crop of upper echelon QBs, it's turning out that the Mannings are the only ones who aren't/weren't psycho. 

You do not get good enough at playing football to be an upper echelon QB while being well-adjusted anywhere else in life.  Has there ever been more than 10 above replacement level quarterbacks at any given time?  That's why you get stories of Peyton Manning's mom taking pictures of all of his clothes and taping up examples of outfits so he can dress himself properly.  These people have spent their entire lives trying to be a better quarterback, and neglected almost everything else.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

You do not get good enough at playing football to be an upper echelon QB while being well-adjusted anywhere else in life.  Has there ever been more than 10 above replacement level quarterbacks at any given time?  That's why you get stories of Peyton Manning's mom taking pictures of all of his clothes and taping up examples of outfits so he can dress himself properly.  These people have spent their entire lives trying to be a better quarterback, and neglected almost everything else.  

Helicopter parents for blue-chip HS quarterbacks is a big thing in recruiting. 

2 hours ago, Mario said:

Pardon my naivety, but how is being a Christian a tip-off that he’s a “psycho”.

I don't think being a Christian makes you a psycho necessarily. But if you make it your public identity almost as if it's your wrestling character, that's a red flag. Anyone working that hard to make that their identity is generally pretty phony. Usually there's a reason for being that level of phony and that reason tends to be the psycho part.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I don't think being a Christian makes you a psycho necessarily. But if you make it your public identity almost as if it's your wrestling character, that's a red flag. Anyone working that hard to make that their identity is generally pretty phony. Usually there's a reason for being that level of phony and that reason tends to be the psycho part.

Yeah, I can see that.  And Russell has always seemed a little out there.  I’m a devout Catholic but I’m never been as pushy or public about as Wilson seems to be.  I imagine most people at work only know I’m Catholic because I walked around with ashes on my forehead earlier this week (Ash Wednesday) or occasionally am out of the office because I’m over at a local Christian school. It’s not something I bring up much.  I generally think your faith is a matter for you and God.  No one needs it pushed on them.

I apologize if I came off as touchy above.  I tend to bristle at the idea being devout makes you nutty.  On the other hand, lol, I’m Roman Catholic.  Given the behavior of a lot of our clergy. It’s not always easy to argue against the idea.

Edited by Mario
  • Like 1

I think the big thing that makes Manning brothers look good now is how we they seem to have adjusted to a happy retirement. They do TV, but pretty much just fun silly shit without being on the road and having to wear suits and yada yada yada. They look sane now which helps make them look better in hindsight.

• Like 2

Edit: I threw out Andrew Luck as an example of a star quarterback who is relatively well-adjusted, but my wife immediately pointed out that he used to pretend he was a Confederate soldier and write long letters to his mom “from the battlefield”, so, yeah, I am withdrawing his candidacy.  My mistake,

Edited by Mario
  • Like 1