DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I mean, there's the obvious elephant in the room answer that he's black.

Other black head coaches have been hired though. Do you sincerely believe that Bienemy specifically has not been hired anywhere because he's black even though other guys have been? 

Black Head Coaches in the NFL listed by the job they held before getting an NFL job (post-Fritz Pollard, no interim HCs)

• Art Shell: Raiders OL Coach
  • Dennis Green: Stanford Head Coach (only NFL coaching experience was two stints on the offensive side under Bill Walsh in San Francisco)
  • Ray Rhodes: 49ers Defensive Coordinator
  • Tony Dungy: Vikings Defensive Coordinator
  • Herman Edwards: Buccaneers defensive backs coach
  • Marvin Lewis: Washington defensive coordinator
  • Lovie Smith: Rams defensive coordinator
  • Romeo Crennel: Patriots defensive coordinator
  • Mike Tomlin: Vikings defensive coordinator
  • Mike Singletary: 49ers Linebackers coach
  • Jim Caldwell: Colts assistant head coach/QBs coach
  • Raheem Morris: Buccaneers defensive backs coach
  • Leslie Frazier: Vikings defensive coordinator
  • Todd Bowles: Cardinals defensive coordinator
  • Hue Jackson: Raiders offensive coordinator
  • Anthony Lynn: Bills offensive coordinator
  • Vance Joseph: Dolphins defensive coordinator
  • Steve Wilks: Panthers defensive coordinator
  • Brian Flores: Patriots linebackers coach
  • David Culley: Ravens AHC, WR coach, and passing game coordinator
  • Mike McDaniel: 49ers offensive coordinator

That's 21 coaches, and 2/3rds of them were defensive guys. 2 of the 7 offensive coaches were hired by Al Davis.

For whatever reason, NFL decisionmakers have been more likely to hire Black coaches who were defensive assistants than offensive assistants. We can theorize on why that is.

That list does shred the argument some people made in the past about Bieniemy needing to be a college head coach to get a shot in the NFL. NFL teams have been burned enough by CFB coaches that they're reluctant to hire anybody in college short of guys like Jim Harbaugh who already have NFL HC experience.

Byron Leftwich was a guy who went quickly from Super Bowl winning OC to failed candidate for HC jobs to fired OC and he did all that in-between Super Bowl 54 and today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

Other black head coaches have been hired though. Do you sincerely believe that Bienemy specifically has not been hired anywhere because he's black even though other guys have been? 

Is it likely the only reason? Probably not.

Is it likely a contributing factor? Yes.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 9:53 PM, Brian Fowler said:

There's a lot of that thing where white people just don't have to fuck it up, where black people have to be exceptional.

There are a lot of white coordinators who have been given a shot with less experience and success than Bienemy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Apparently, Daniel Jones wants up to $45 million per on his new deal.  

(Franchising him = $32.4m)

So...  Well, Derrick Carr would look good in white and blue is all I'm saying.

Don't you put that evil on me, especially when a perfectly okay Baker Mayfield is out there for 20% of the Carr price.

I like Jones more than most but what the hell is he thinking? Is this him purposely pricing himself too high because doesn't actually want to stay in NY? Like the highest Tom Brady ever made in a single year was 25 million. He's the consensus GOAT. You're worth almost double the best year of the best QB ever? The highest QB contract year ever was Rodgers at 50.3 million. There's no way Daniel Jones thinks he should be in that realm.

Miami has snatched DC Renaldo Hill from the Chargers.  He'll be the defensive pass coordinator for the Dolphins.  

This definitely seems like he's Fangio's new right hand and will take over when he's gone.

Happy Giants ruin their offseason by franchise tagging Daniel Jones instead of Saquon Barkley day!

(Technically they will probably wait till March 7 but the point still remains)

On 2/17/2023 at 5:27 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I mean, there's the obvious elephant in the room answer that he's black.

It is rather interesting the latest narrative on Bienemy has dramatically changed in the last week that maybe he was overrated and really just a product of Andy Reid.  Just recently Lesean McCoy went scorched earth on him.   Now maybe he actually is.  Unfortunately going from Patrick Mahomes to Sam Howell already makes him start a couple steps behind.   But I wonder how this would change if Eric didn't go to such a shitty team like the Commanders.   Almost like people are saying "well he must not be that good because only the Commanders want him"

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Just recently Lesean McCoy went scorched earth on him. 

This isn't new as McCoy has been doing it for awhile. He is so over the top in his criticism that it is really hard to take him seriously

On 2/17/2023 at 9:53 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Or he can be like LeSean McCoy said. Not a guy that has a HC personality or even a guy that does what other OCs do. People want to talk about elephants in the room. Andy Reid is quite the elephant and Bienemy needs to prove that he isn't just the guy that radios in the plays Andy Reid calls. During Offence meetings in KC Bienemy runs the projector and Andy Reid comes up with the game plan. And that's from a guy that has sat in the room. Don't think that isn't a well known fact around the league. Not a shock multiple teams wanted DeMeco Ryans but are lukewarm about Eric Bienemy 

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

This isn't new as McCoy has been doing it for awhile. He is so over the top in his criticism that it is really hard to take him seriously

His latest comments weren't that over the top. He said Bieniemy didn't talk in meetings or design plays, that it was all Reid. If true that's a valid criticism. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

His latest comments weren't that over the top. He said Bieniemy didn't talk in meetings or design plays, that it was all Reid. If true that's a valid criticism. 

I meant "over the top" more in the way he was delivering it not the message. That being said see one of the many folks disagreeing with McCoy (also McCoy was only on the team for one season (2019) so even if his reality was true - there have been 3 more seasons were it could have changed)

50 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I meant "over the top" more in the way he was delivering it not the message. That being said see one of the many folks disagreeing with McCoy (also McCoy was only on the team for one season (2019) so even if his reality was true - there have been 3 more seasons were it could have changed)

Note what Charles didn't do - actually refute anything Shady said. He didn't say Bieniemy was on there designing plays or running meetings, etc. Just a generic, "I learned a lot" - exactly what you'd expect. From a position coach. 

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

Note what Charles didn't do - actually refute anything Shady said. He didn't say Bieniemy was on there designing plays or running meetings, etc. Just a generic, "I learned a lot" - exactly what you'd expect. From a position coach. 

Personally, I am always a little suspicious when someone goes the "great husband/great father/great family" type route. I'm not saying it isn't true and that he isn't a great husband but that really has nothing to do with the criticisms of him. Its like saying a football player is a great father - that's nice, but has nothing to do with football.

• Like 1

Taking a look at Pro-Football-Reference

LeSean McCoy during the Chiefs first 9 games of 2019: 72 carries for 371 yards, 20 receptions for 129 yards, 3 touchdowns (2 rushing+1 receiving)/2 fumbles lost

LeSean McCoy during the Chiefs final 10 games of 2019: 29 carries for 94 yards, 8 receptions for 52 yards, 2 touchdowns (both rushing)/0 fumbles lost, McCoy was inactive or didn't play for 5 of the Chiefs final 10 games. He participated in 1 offensive snap after December 15th, 2019. He was a healthy scratch multiple times over that stretch.

Tough to figure out why a guy who was banished to the bench during the stretch run of that season isn't fond of the Chiefs offensive coordinator. Really tough.

McCoy does have more Super Bowl rings (2) than playoff wins in games where he touched the football (0). So he's a Hall of Famer at going along for the ride.

On the other hand, Chad Henne all but said Bieniemy is the reason that they beat Philly, giving him sole credit for finding the exploit they used on two of their touchdown plays, and Mahommes has given him a ton of credit as well.

Part of me wants to laugh heartily at this, but you know what...  good for the Jets on shooting their shot.  It should be the expectation for any high caliber free agent to be told, if you sign with us, you will be in Canton.

(on the other hand... loljets)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Derek Carr has thrown more career TD passes than Joe Namath with 121 fewer INTs. But there's a logical reason why Joe Namath got inducted and Derek Carr won't. 

Part of that reason being Namath played in the era when your standard NFL pass defense was “commit aggravated assault on either the QB and the WR or better yet both”