DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Log said:

I totally get why Fox wants Brady, but has he ever shown even the slightest indication that he might be good as an analyst or commentator?

Dude is just the textbook definition of bland.

The best he can hope for is the Aikman Path. Aikman was really quiet and bland the first few years, until he built up that chemistry with Buck. He still doesn't get excited or anything but he sounds a lot more comfortable than he did at first. I didn't think he was going to make it.

4 hours ago, Log said:

I totally get why Fox wants Brady, but has he ever shown even the slightest indication that he might be good as an analyst or commentator?

Dude is just the textbook definition of bland.

He's really not. He's pretty funny and very comfortable in front of the camera in his Facebook videos. 

• Thanks 1

The Vikings are hiring Brian Flores to be DC

So clearly he was told by Arizona he wasn't getting the job.

The cynical person could also say he didn't accept a HC position so he could use it as part of his lawsuit

13 hours ago, Tabe said:

He's really not. He's pretty funny and very comfortable in front of the camera in his Facebook videos. 

Is he funny or are the team of people he probably has crafting his Facebook videos for him funny?

(Currently watching season 3 of Succession. Made me think of Ken and his team.)

• Like 1

Jessica Pegula (the tennis player) wrote in the Players' Tribune that the medical issue her mother, Kim Pegula - Bills and Sabers President & CEO - had last year was that her mother went into cardiac arrest and for all intents and purposes is still alive and on the road to recovery because her sister (Kelly) gave Kim CPR until the ambulance arrived

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/jessica-pegula-tennis

In June 2022, I had just flown back to Florida from the French Open. I made the quarterfinals in singles and the finals in doubles. It was an amazing two weeks full of a lot of positives, including cracking the Top 10 in the world. A few days after I got home, I got a call around midnight (on my mom’s birthday) from my sister Kelly who was staying at my parents’ house. Something was wrong with our mom, and she was headed to the hospital in an ambulance. My mom was asleep when my dad woke up to her going into cardiac arrest and she was unresponsive for quite a while. My sister gave her CPR until the ambulance arrived. She saved her life. Even though she doesn’t like to take credit for this terrible situation, she absolutely saved her life, followed by the critical job performed by the paramedics who arrived and were able to restore a heartbeat.

Now, rewind to about three months before that. Kelly called me one day and said she was going to get her CPR certification as a requirement for a job she wanted. I said, “No way, I have been meaning to do that but haven’t gotten around to it.” She relayed to me how nervous she was about it and hoped she passed the class. I remember her telling us what she was doing in our family group chat, and my mom even responded, “Nice Kells! Now if we have a heart attack you can revive us.”

-----------------

Today, my mom is still in recovery and although it is the same answer every time someone asks me, it is true, she is improving every day. She is dealing with significant expressive aphasia and significant memory issues. She can read, write, and understand pretty well, but she has trouble finding the words to respond. It is hard to deal with and it takes a lot of patience to communicate with her, but I thank God every day that we can still communicate with her at all. The doctors continue to be blown away by her recovery, considering where she started, and her determination is the driving force of that.

My mom is the president and owner of both the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bills. She loved to work. She did everything and our family constantly told her how she needs to slow down and take time for herself. She was the woman behind my dad’s success and my dad would happily admit that. She jumped into this journey with him and learned many lessons along the way, breaking a lot of barriers. She was the shift in culture, positivity, and the heartbeat of many of the employees. She gave everyone so much of her time and effort. She lived it and loved it, and it was felt by everyone she met. Now we come to the realization that all of that is most likely gone. That she won’t be able to be that person anymore.

• Like 1

Las Vegas is according to ESPN asking for a 3 for Derek Carr. Which is... shockingly reasonable.

New Orleans was given permission to host him but they haven't come to terms yet.  

Carr is also waiving his no trade clause. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Las Vegas is according to ESPN asking for a 3 for Derek Carr. Which is... shockingly reasonable.

New Orleans was given permission to host him but they haven't come to terms yet.  

Carr is also waiving his no trade clause. 

I assume they are asking for so little as they'll have to cut him by the 15th if they don't want another 40 mil guaranteed on his contract. Which I don't think they do. So a 3rd is better than nothing. They over-played their hand I think by benching him and Carr posting that big farewell message, everyone knows he isn't going back.

You should read this. Now. If this doesn't get multiple sports reporting awards, I don't know what to tell you. It is a prime detail on what goes into making a top athlete, and most crucially, what happens when one's body says "no more". Joe may be eclipsed in the current-day GOAT talk, but this is a great article that goes deep into what makes him tick, and what keeps his aching body getting out of bed in the morning.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35604915/49ers-legend-joe-montana-reflects-legacy-ahead-super-bowl

• Thanks 2

in the scheme of things, Joe Montana's 1993 would have went slightly better if they were able to get rid of the Arrowhead astroturf for that season, instead of swapping it out for 1994. Montana started 3 more games and threw for 1000 more yards in 1994 on grass than in 1993 on turf.

The whole sensation of the local team getting Joe Montana was a big part of me deciding to pay attention to football (ahtough I was pretty young at that time anyways).. like you didn't need to necessarily follow the NFL closely to know that Montana, even after missing 2 years, was a big deal.

• Like 1