DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

lol, lots of guys mentally retire in Janauary.  They mentally unretire in April when their bodies don’t hurt so much and they forget what the previous season was like.

I kinda hope this retirement doesn’t stick.  The League is more interesting with 46-year-old Brady in it.

Edited by Doc Townsend
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Brady just put out a statement saying he is retiring.

about as believable as your average Terry Funk retirement announcement

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Even Adam Shefter thinks this "retirement" is bullshit .   And he thought he was retired a couple times already

I would also like to congratulate Tyler Huntley to make it to the Pro Bowl after scoring :checks notes:   2 TD.   I hope they don't use him in the dodgeball or cornhole competitions

so does he 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

God, I still haven’t trained my brain to think of a game when I hear the word “cornhole”

ESPN2 airs blocks of it on weekends and the first time I noticed this while flipping through the programming schedule on my tv my first thought was “wow, ESPN2 has really changed format!”

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Matt Rhule is suing Carolina for $5 million he says he's owed as part of his severance.

He'll get it just as soon as the state of South Carolina gets their $25million from the failed practice facility debacle

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Matt Rhule is suing Carolina for $5 million he says he's owed as part of his severance.

To be fair - reading the story it comes across as Rhule (with the help of Nebraska) is trying to fuck the Panthers out of the $5 million). It seems that they purposely structured his Nebraska contract to max out his buyout (Basically a less terrible version of the way the Browns structured Watson's deal)

The Panthers got a gift when former head coach Matt Rhule landed at Nebraska, since his earnings in his new job will reduce the amount of money that multi-billionaire David Tepper would otherwise owe to the man he fired after five games into his third season.

But the Panthers apparently think that Rhule and the Cornhuskers have engaged in contractual shenanigans, with the goal of forcing Tepper to pay more.

Via Jonathan Jones of CBS Sports, Rhule has filed an arbitration claim over the team’s refusal to pay his buyout.

The Panthers reportedly have refused to pay Rhule because they believe the Nebraska contract was structured to maximize his buyout. In Carolina, Rhule was making roughly $8.5 million per year. In Nebraska, the eight-year deal has a base value of $74 million — and average of $9.25 million.

Rhule’s Nebraska contract, however, pays $5.5 million in the first year and escalates to $12.5 million.

The Panthers reportedly will rely on the following language from the anti-tampering policy regarding the reasonableness of subsequent NFL contracts given to a fired coach: “If the contract with the new club includes a substantial salary increase in new contract years, the Commissioner shall use the following as a guideline to determine the reasonableness of those increases: (i) if annual compensations is scheduled to increase by 20 percent or more for the new contract years, the prior club’s annual offset, if that club is entitled to an offset, shall be calculated based upon the employee’s average annual compensation during the entire term of contract.”

The first challenge for the Panthers will be to get the league to apply that language to a coach who takes a college job. Given that the issue will be resolved under the auspices of the NFL, that argument has a far better chance of succeeding in the Court of Roger Goodell than it would in a court of law.

According to the report, roughly $5 million is at issue. If the rule quoted above is applied to Rhule, he’ll get nothing. If it isn’t, he’ll get the difference between what he would have made in Carolina and what he’ll actually make in Nebraska, until the moment at which the Nebraska pay exceeds the Carolina pay.

Bottom line? Tepper and the Panthers believe that moment should be regarded as right now.

While I generally feel no compulsion to help a guy worth $17 billion to save some couch-cushion cash, it’s a persuasive argument. No coach should be allowed to structure a contract in a way to maximize his buyout.

Rhule will make more per year on average with Nebraska than he was making per year at Carolina. That should extinguish any obligation Tepper would have to Rhule.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/01/matt-rhule-panthers-battle-over-buyout/

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - reading the story it comes across as Rhule (with the help of Nebraska) is trying to fuck the Panthers out of the $5 million). It seems that they purposely structured his Nebraska contract to max out his buyout (Basically a less terrible version of the way the Browns structured Watson's deal)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/01/matt-rhule-panthers-battle-over-buyout/

"No coach should be allowed to structure a contract in a way to maximize his buyout."  Pray tell, why the heck not?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

"No coach should be allowed to structure a contract in a way to maximize his buyout."  Pray tell, why the heck not?

Integrity?

i’m kidding, of course.  No one has that anymore.

I’m not really cool with fraud, so I’m hoping someone slaps this down.

4 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Integrity?

i’m kidding, of course.  No one has that anymore.

I’m not really cool with fraud, so I’m hoping someone slaps this down.

I'm not sure how integrity plays into it. And it's definitely not fraud.