DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

If anyone was on the fence about the pro bowl being a joke (I hope no one was),  Tyler Huntley was just named to the pro bowl.  At some point teams are going to take out the bonuses for making the pro bowl from contracts.

But! But! How will I ever justify the HOF case of sketchy players!!!!

• Haha 2

Oh just for context so folks know what happened

Players are the ones who vote for the Pro Bowl alternates so obviously it turns into "vote for teammates and friends"

Huntley was the 4th alternate - the three before him where Tua (out due to concussion), Trevor Lawrence (named as Patrick Mahomes replacement) and Lamar Jackson (injured)

So as you can see - Ravens players stuffed the ballot for their teammates

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

But! But! How will I ever justify the HOF case of sketchy players!!!!

The funny part, and I think this is right - to be considered a pro bowler you have to either be on the initial list, OR be an alternative that accepts, but if you are an alternative that declines then it doesn't count.

the fact that there's still a pay bonus for being named to it is probably the only reason there still even is a Pro Bowl.

least compelling of the all-star games (and that's over a pretty stiff field of competition)

I mean Josh Allen is skipping it to play golf, if that shows how important it is to players. They really should just name the team which will keep the bonuses/HOF credentials in fact but not actually have them physically do anything. Or just get rid of it and stick with the All-Pro accolades.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I thought they weren't doing a Pro Bowl anymore and were instead doing a skills competition.

You are correct - but the people selected are supposed to play in the Flag Football game and the other random nonsense they are doing

Side note - Jared Goff is also now a Pro Bowler. He is the replacement for Jalen Hurts

• Haha 2

I've never seen any of these players throw a strike, so I call bullshit on these so called "Pro-Bowlers".

Seriously, out of all the big sports leagues, this one has to be the least exciting to me.

It's great to see the players being honored as best among their peers, but the actual gameplay is worst than the NBA All-Star game.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You are correct - but the people selected are supposed to play in the Flag Football game and the other random nonsense they are doing

Side note - Jared Goff is also now a Pro Bowler. He is the replacement for Jalen Hurts

In fairness to Goff, he was good this year. And he'd be an MVP candidate if you doubled his home stats and got rid of the road. 

Huntley on the other hand... 

• Like 1

Oh I wasn't trying to imply Goff was on the same level as any of the comedy in the AFC - just that that is the only NFC change (at least on the QB side)

If anyone is curious - here is the full list of replacements

Spoiler

2023 Pro Bowl Alternates
Offensive players
QB Trevor Lawrence (Jacksonville Jaguars, replacing Patrick Mahomes)
QB Tyler Huntley (Baltimore Ravens, replacing Josh Allen)
QB Derek Carr (Las Vegas Raiders, replacing Joe Burrow)
QB Jared Goff (Detroit Lions, replacing Jalen Hurts)

RB Dalvin Cook (Minnesota Vikings, replacing Tony Pollard)

WR Amon-Ra St. Brown (Detroit Lions, replacing A.J. Brown)
WR Jamal Agnew (Jacksonville Jaguars, replacing Devin Duvernay)

TE Dawson Knox (Buffalo Bills, replacing Travis Kelce)

OT Penei Sewell (Detroit Lions, replacing Lane Johnson)
OT Dion Dawkins (Buffalo Bills, replacing Orlando Brown)
OT Wyatt Teller (Cleveland Browns, replacing Joe Thuney)

OG Roger Saffold (Buffalo Bills, replacing Quenton Nelson)
OG Elgton Jenkins (Green Bay Packers, replacing Landon Dickerson)

C Tyler Biadasz (Dallas Cowboys, replacing Jason Kelce)
C Ben Jones (Tennessee Titans, replacing Creed Humphrey)

Defensive players
DE Danielle Hunter (Minnesota Vikings, replacing Haason Reddick)

DT Cam Heyward (Pittsburgh Steelers, replacing Chris Jones)
DT Daron Payne (Washington Commanders, replacing Aaron Darnold)

LB Matt Milano (Buffalo Bills, replacing TJ Watt)
LB Bradley Chubb (Miami Dolphins, replacing Khalil Mack)

CB Jalen Ramsey (Los Angeles Rams, replacing Darius Slay)

Special Teams
P A.J. Cole (Las Vegas Raiders, replacing Tommy Townsend)

For what it's worth, and it's not a lot these days, but a couple of the Dolphins beat reporters (Barry Jackson and the like) have said Tua's fine, but the Fins don't want him messing around with Pro Bowl stuff.  Thus he's 'still in protocol.' 

I think part of the problem with the pro bowl versus other All Star games is timing. I certainly don't think the NFL should take a mid season break to play the pro bowl, but it does make it feel like this tacked on nonsense. The rest are a fun break and attraction in the middle of long seasons, right when it can be really hard to be interested day to day because you already know who is and isn't good but it's too early to seriously watch division/pennant races closely.

Moving the pro bowl to the off week between the CCGs and Super Bowl theoretically helped that some, but it also many no players from Super Bowl teams. 

I really don't know what the point of playing flag football is, but, I mean, it's the pro bowl so who cares?

(The Elem ending, btw, has been a massive improvement to the NBA all-star game. They don't start taking it seriously until the third quarter is over, but they've played damn hard down the stretch since starting that.

12 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

It’s official! What do I do with my hands? Is this the first hire by the Texans I’m actually happy about?

He's got a high mountain to climb to be the best coach in Texans history over *checks notes* uh... Bill O'Brien?