DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

MAKE HIM (and I cannot state this loudly enough) SELL THE TEAM.

At this point, Saturday may have to save Irsay from himself.

Why would Jeff Saturday do that?

No one else is going to give him a head coaching job, so if he wants to coach, this is probably the best chance he's going to get.  I guess he might care about random dudes on the internet making fun of him, but he probably doesn't.  I encourage everyone to take any job that is willing to overpay you to do some shit you probably aren't qualified to do.  That's the motherfucking American Dream, shout out to Dusty.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, EdA said:

Yeah, crazy owners are the best.  And as Raider fan I really don't think I can throw stones at Irsay being crazy.

given that sports team ownership is America's closest analogue to on-paper hereditary titles of nobility, should we really be surprised we get a decent share of Mad Lords among the bunch?

Shit, cross your fingers and maybe we'll get a literal 4 year old running the Chargers pretty soon.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

given that sports team ownership is America's closest analogue to on-paper hereditary titles of nobility, should we really be surprised we get a decent share of Mad Lords among the bunch?

Shit, cross your fingers and maybe we'll get a literal 4 year old running the Chargers pretty soon.

In 50 years the Rooneys and Maras will have Habsburg jaws, from all the interbreeding to keep their football blood pure

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

The Washington Post has an article today that the league is planning on looking into rule changes around "hip drop tackles" (Patrick Mahomes and Tony Pollard's injuries this past week and Deebo Samuel's injury earlier this year were all from tackles that fit the parameters)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/26/nfl-mechanics-tony-pollard-injury/

The NFL does not believe the tackles that injured Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes and Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Pollard during this past weekend’s divisional-round playoff games were illegal under the current rules, multiple people familiar with the deliberations said Wednesday.

The league and its competition committee do plan to consider the “mechanics of the tackle in Pollard’s case” as part of their offseason discussions, one of those people said.

----------

Representatives of the league and the competition committee meet annually during the offseason to discuss potential rule changes, with an emphasis on player-safety measures, and review plays from the previous season. Their plan to review Ward’s tackle of Pollard does not mean there necessarily will be a rule change proposed. But it does signal at least a measure of concern over the technique used by Ward.

A potential precedent for making a rule change might be found in Australia, where the National Rugby League has banned tackles similar in appearance to those that brought down Mahomes and Pollard. Starting in 2020, the NRL has levied punishment, including multigame suspensions, for what it describes as “hip drop” tackles.

An official with the NRL said that decision came after the Sydney-based organization “saw an increased occurrence of these types of tackles, some of which resulted in serious injuries to attacking players including a broken ankle, ACL tear and many high-ankle sprains.”

------------

As with horse-collar tackles, hip drop tackles tend to occur either directly from behind or at an angle and can place a ballcarrier at great risk of suffering a major lower-body injury.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

The Washington Post has an article today that the league is planning on looking into rule changes around "hip drop tackles" (Patrick Mahomes and Tony Pollard's injuries this past week and Deebo Samuel's injury earlier this year were all from tackles that fit the parameters)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/26/nfl-mechanics-tony-pollard-injury/

I get it, but then again I don't think anyone who thinks this is a good idea has ever tried to tackle someone as big, strong, and fast as an NFL player.  If you're trying to tackle someone who can literally drag you down the field, dropping your weight is kind of the only think you can do.  I'd prefer fewer injuries, but this is something that happens on every drive.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jets are hiring Nathaniel Hackett to be OC because that will solve all their problems

It's going to be FUCKING hilarious when Rodgers retires rather than going to NY. 

As a Colts fan, I want Irsay to sell the team, but he's way too pilled up to ever think rationally enough to do that. 

And considering the Colts have become the team that is the landing spot for washed up and past their prime QBs, I can't think of a more perfect QB for them to trade for that Aaron Rodgers.

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

As a Colts fan, I want Irsay to sell the team, but he's way too pilled up to ever think rationally enough to do that. 

There is nothing rational about selling a billion dollar business because fans who will buy tickets any way don't like you.  

On 1/25/2023 at 1:04 PM, Cobra Commander said:

Irsay is like if Herb Abrams owned a football team, isn’t he?

Jim Irsay is like Abrams but if Abrams somehow landed Steve Austin and John Cena by sheer luck and ended up prospering through no effort of his own.

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

I get it, but then again I don't think anyone who thinks this is a good idea has ever tried to tackle someone as big, strong, and fast as an NFL player.  If you're trying to tackle someone who can literally drag you down the field, dropping your weight is kind of the only think you can do.  I'd prefer fewer injuries, but this is something that happens on every drive.  

Yeah, I'm all for increased player safety but I don't see how you implement this in a way that's not just completely unfair to the defense. 

• Like 1