DVDVR Message Board

POLL! -12/31/2022- 1/6/2023- WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? WACKINESS!

DEAN

WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Reina Dorada/ Sexy Star/ Sussy Love vs Las Toxicas (Flammer/ La Hiedra/ Maravilla)- AAA
    • Bandido/ Arez/ Octagon Jr vs Rey Horus/ Gringo Loco/ Villano III Jr- AAA
    • Toxin vs Drago Kid- AAA
    • Charlotte Flair vs Sonya Deville- SMACKDOWN
    • Panterita del Ring Jr/ Volador Jr vs Suicida/ Titan- CMLL
    • Masha Slamovich vs Taylor Wilde- IMPACT!
    • Skye Blue vs Jade Cargill- AEW Battle of the Belts
    • Black Taurus vs Anthony Greene- IMPACT!
    • Hagane Shinno/ Dean Alexander/ Rosario Grillo vs Malakai Black/ Brodie King/ Buddy Matthews- AEW Elevation
    • Penelope Pink/ Vickie Lynn McCoy vs Foxxy Fierce/ Tiki Chamorro- WOW
    • Becky Lynch/ Mia Yim vs Dakota Kai/ IYO SKY- RAW
    • Austin Theory vs Seth Rollins- RAW
    • Matt Cardona vs Chris Sabin- IMPACT!
    • Kevin Owens/ Angelo Dawkins/ Montez Ford vs Jey Uso/ Sami Zayn/ Jimmy Uso- RAW
    • Orange Cassidy vs Kip Sabian- AEW Battle of the Belts
    • Alexa Bliss vs Bianca Belair- RAW
    • Gisele Shaw vs KiLynn King- IMPACT! BTI
    • Blake Christian vs Sean Maluta- AEW Dark
    • Bryan Danielson vs Tony Nese- DYNAMITE
    • Jey Uso/ Jimmy Uso vs Sheamus/ Drew McIntyre- SMACKDOWN
    • Darius Martin/ Dante Martin vs Bryan Danielson/ Jon Moxley- RAMPAGE
    • Joe Gacy vs Kofi Kingston- NXT
    • Jamie Hayter/ Britt Baker vs Robyn Renegade/ Charlett Renegade- RAMPAGE
    • Alba Fyre vs Isla Dawn- NXT
    • Darby Allin vs Mike Bennett- RAMPAGE
    • Axiom vs Trick Williams- NXT
    • Apollo Crews vs Carmello Hayes- NXT
    • Darby Allin vs Samoa Joe- DYNAMITE
    • Ricky Starks vs Chris Jericho- DYNAMITE
    • Angelina Love vs Taya Valkyrie- NWA PowerRR
    • Max the Impaler/ Ashley D'Ambroise vs Kayla Kassidy/ Samantha Starr- NWA PowerRR
    • Jennacide/ Madi Wrenkowski vs Missa Kate/ Natalia Markova- NWA PowerRR
    • Jay Lethal/ Jeff Jarrett vs Max Caster/ Anthony Bowen- DYNAMITE
    • Shane Swerve Strickland vs AR Fox- DYNAMITE
    • Jade Cargill/ Red Velvet vs Skye Blue/ Kiera Hogan- DYNAMITE
    • Kazuki Hashimoto vs Sora Issun- Kyushu Pro
    • Hikaru Sato vs Hitamaru Sasaki- UWF Rules- Kyushu Pro
    • HARUKAZE/ Moeka Haruhi vs Yoshiko Hasegawa/ Yuna Manase- Ganbare Pro
    • Jeff Jarrett/ Jay Lethal vs Max Caster/ Anthony Bowen- AEW Battle Of The Belts

Maaaan!  There was a LOT this week.  In addition to the usual suspects, Ganbare Pro AND Kyushu Pro streamed whole cards this week!  Not that a lot of the Ganbare made the cut, but here's to them putting in the effort. Kyushu Pro brung the Kazuki Hashimoto match and a much adored UWF match.  Me? I'm torn between Isla Dawn/Alba Fyre and BCC/Top Flight.  I'm going with Bryan Danielson and MOX tagging together because it was somehow even more violent than MOX/Claudio.  Though Fyre/Dawn was as violent as ANYTHING.  I dunno, I'm torn.  Fuck it.  I'm going with Alba Fyre vs Isla Dawn.  You also had giant wads of wrestling from AEW and WWE that were really good but were put on the cut list.  Best Lucha Libre of the week was maybe the Las Toxicos match, because they rule so hard.  Toxin/Drago Kid was good because Toxin is so fucking awesome.  Your fringe match of the week is between Taya Valkyrie/Angelina Love and the Penelope Pink/Vickie Lynn McCoy match- as the Taya match really sets the stiffness bar in NWA that the other two women's matches tried to match and the WOW tag match was really the debut of WOW's answer to Hayter/Baker.  NWA really overdelivered this week. Your IMPACT! match of the week was the completely BALLS OUT Masha Slamovich/Taylor Wilde slugfest.  THAT WAS A LOT OF QUALITY WRESTLING!

CUT LIST: Bryan Pillman Jr vs Christopher Daniels- AEW Dark; Richard Adonis vs Rohit Raju- AEW Dark; Riko Kawahata vs YuuRI- Ganbare Pro; Hartley Jackson/ Keisuke Ishii/ Shuichiro Katsumura/ Soma Takao vs Ken Ohka/ Shigehiro Irie/ Shinichiro Tominaga/ Shota- Ganbare Pro;  Robbie Rocket vs Keta Rush- WOW; Athena vs Gypsy Mac- AEW Elevation; Dexter Lumis vs Chad Gable- RAW; Jada Stone vs Emi Sakura- AEW Dark; Sonny Kiss/ Slim J vs Ryzin/ Cameron Stewart- AEW Dark; Darius Martin/ Dante Martin vs JD Drake/ Anthony Henry- AEW Dark; Andre Chase vs Drew Gulak- NXT; Dijak vs Channing Lorenzo- NXT; Kodai Nozaki vs TAJIRI- Kyushu Pro; Kofi Kingston vs Santos Escobar- SMACKDOWN; Vipress vs Johnnie Robbie- CWFH; Ryan Nemeth/ Luther/ El Serpentico vs John Sliver/ Alex Reynolds/ Evil Uno- AEW Elevation; Solo Sikoa vs Elias- RAW; Ari Daivari vs Leon Ruffin- AEW Dark

• Like 2

Usos vs McIntyre/Sheamus takes an early lead- as we may have a rare WWE battle because I assume a few of the WWE fandom really dug the Isla/Fyre match as much as I did.

• Like 1

Starks/Jericho was pretty darn good and the best i have seen of Starks so far in my limited AEW viewing. Its firmly in the no. 3 spot for me. Darby/Joe was a damn fun match. Acclaimed vs. Jarrett/Lethal was great tv. The action was solid. The crowd reactions were fantastic. And I absolutely loved the craziness of the match with the seconds and refs. 

Raw had a bunch of matches that built into something good but nothing great. That said I still have to give Bianca/Alexa credit for having at least two moments directly pulled from Scary Movie 3 and somehow making them work. NXT had a bunch of nice little matches, but Alba/Isla was the standout with that one truly getting time and focus to be something special compared to the rest. Smackdown had some nice stuff all around, but the Usos vs. Drew/Sheamus is the only one that really stood out as something more. I probably should rewatch it as I missed much of the first half due to multitasking. The second half though was pretty damn good.

So far I have only caught the Las Toxicas match as far as Lucha goes. That was a messy but good fun.

Right now its between two totally different matches for me in Isla/Alba & Acclaimed vs. Jarrett/Lethal from Dynamite. Loved the violence of the former and the character/craziness of the latter. Both were great yet so different. Still need to catch Rampage, BOTB, and more lucha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Starks/Jericho was pretty darn good and the best i have seen of Starks so far in my limited AEW viewing. Its firmly in the no. 3 spot for me. Darby/Joe was a damn fun match. Acclaimed vs. Jarrett/Lethal was great tv. The action was solid. The crowd reactions were fantastic. And I absolutely loved the craziness of the match with the seconds and refs. 

Raw had a bunch of matches that built into something good but nothing great. That said I still have to give Bianca/Alexa credit for having at least two moments directly pulled from Scary Movie 3 and somehow making them work. NXT had a bunch of nice little matches, but Alba/Isla was the standout with that one truly getting time and focus to be something special compared to the rest. Smackdown had some nice stuff all around, but the Usos vs. Drew/Sheamus is the only one that really stood out as something more. I probably should rewatch it as I missed much of the first half due to multitasking. The second half though was pretty damn good.

So far I have only caught the Las Toxicas match as far as Lucha goes. That was a messy but good fun.

Right now its between two totally different matches for me in Isla/Alba & Acclaimed vs. Jarrett/Lethal from Dynamite. Loved the violence of the former and the character/craziness of the latter. Both were great yet so different. Still need to catch Rampage, BOTB, and more lucha. 

I'm in the minority because I liked the BotB Acclaimed/Jarrett/Lethal match more than the Dynamite, because I LOVED that they kept beating on refs.  That's such a crazy concept and I loved that it is now something a ref has to think about when agreeing to ref a no DQ match in AEW.  The Usos/Drew/Sheamus match was fucking GREAT by the end.  This week is all about violence though and nothing was quite as violent at Isla/Fyre.  The thing is that all the NWA women's matches were WAY violent too.  It was a good week for we who enjoy folks laying it in.

• Like 3

Voted for the 2nd Total Nonstop Acclaimed match. I'm still hoarse today from how much I chanted and screamed during that match last night. What a tremendous heel Jeff Jarrett is. What a fun piece of pro wrestling to see live. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I voted for the Wednesday Acclaimed vs Jay-e-double F because I thought Jarrett sold better in that match, because the heat was something like you would find close to the sun, and the false finish had me totally ready to riot. Friday had it's moments but Wednesday was US tag team wrestling at it's finest.

• Like 7

Man both of those Acclaimed vs. Double Jay Lethal matches are so friggin’ great. I just watched the Battle of the Belts match. No one has mentioned yet the awesome “rolling down the ramp in a figure four” spot and as I said in the thread the Fargo Strut before commercial break was aces and the type of thing that got me hooked on wrestling.

I pop like a kid anytime I hear The Acclaimed’s music. I really wish we would get an Acclaimed versus JJ Lethal Best of Seven.

• Like 5

Fyre-Dawn was the most fun I had all week. I loved the toolbox spot (Never seen that before) and the pre-match brawl was so violent and over-the-top that I was sure it was being used to "injure" one of the wrestlers and push the match back a couple weeks so was pleasantly surprised when it was just an over-the-top and violent introduction to an over-the-top and violent match.

• Like 2

Man, I might actually favor OC/Kip. What I loved about it was that the angle just did not set up the match but the match was about the angle and how Kip was the first to successfully play mind games with the one who usually wins them.

There was so much good stuff with Kip’s really good looking offense and OC doing OC things. But the stuff with Kip doing OC’s taunts and OC losing his cool was better. But the best was Kip on the floor singing Zombie — one of the best taunts since Mark Henry and Shield-era Roman, and something my friend Carter used to do when he correctly guessed the play when we were playing Super Tecmo. I also loved the cliffhanger with the true motivation of Best Friends and Kip smirking even while losing. 

Great stuff and the highest end of e-fedding.

• Like 2

Honourable mentions to Samoa Joe Vs Darby Allin, Jade Cargill Vs Skye Blue and the first Acclaimed Vs Jarrett/Lethal match but I have voted for the Acclaimed Vs Jarrett/Lethal match at Battle Of The Belts as I liked a few of the spots more then in the first match but both were great matches.

Wrestler of the week has to go to Darby Allin or Jeff Jarrett.

• Like 1

Caught Rampage and BOTB yesterday. That was the best bit of AEW I have seen since I started recording it regularly. I think I actually watched every match but a squash, and all built into something pretty solid or more. Darby/Bennett was a real nice showing for Bennett. Never cared for him in WWE, but he is much better than he showed there. OC/Sabian was every bit as good as OC/Trent. Dug the mind games with OC getting too hot, too often nearly costing him. Acclaimed vs. Jarrett/Lethal II was nearly as good as the Dynamite match, but here was just a special feeling in the latter that the former couldn't quite replicate though it still did a pretty good job overall. Right now its still between the Dynamite match and Alba/Isla for my pick. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Caught Rampage and BOTB yesterday. That was the best bit of AEW I have seen since I started recording it regularly. I think I actually watched every match but a squash, and all built into something pretty solid or more. Darby/Bennett was a real nice showing for Bennett. Never cared for him in WWE, but he is much better than he showed there. OC/Sabian was every bit as good as OC/Trent. Dug the mind games with OC getting too hot, too often nearly costing him. Acclaimed vs. Jarrett/Lethal II was nearly as good as the Dynamite match, but here was just a special feeling in the latter that the former couldn't quite replicate though it still did a pretty good job overall. Right now its still between the Dynamite match and Alba/Isla for my pick. 

ALBA/ISLA! ALBA/ISLA! ALBA/ISLA!

• Like 1

AWESOME!  It's a battle between Jay Lethal/ Jeff Jarrett vs Anthony Bowens/ Max Caster and Jay Lethal/ Jeff Jarrett vs Anthony Bowen/ Max Caster!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I voted for Mox/Danielson vs Top Flight. 

I loved what it brought to the table as far as showing how you really elevate someone in the eyes of the fans - equal time given to Top Flight having to elevate their stuff, take bigger risks, be more aggressive and almost heelish in their spots, and capturing the importance of how flashy and hard to keep up with were the hope spots that were peppered in, and even for top guys like Mox/Danielson to handle. It told a logical story about Mox/Danielson gradually taking over as they should, but there'd occasionally be a sniff of life to keep you interested. At the same time, it showed that they were a step above the usual Mox/Danielson squash - that they needed to lift their game in turn to put them away and needing to do so comprehensively. It felt like Twin Towers vs The Rockers meets the Steiners vs Harts matches.

It showed how its really done, as opposed to Jericho's usual emphasis on him being the protagonist who slips on a banana peel, that the story is his hubris allowing him to lose to a complete loser/nobody, and how embarrassing it must be for him (I feel as though they learned a little from the Orange Cassidy match that was set up like this, in allowing Andretti to take so much of the match, but the pathos and focus remained the same). 

In hindsight though, it sort of bugs me that nothing was ever furthered/resolved given it was the first onscreen interaction between Mox and Danielson since the Dynamite after the PPV with Danielson stopping Mox from beating Regal. That needed some sort of resolution (unless I missed something earlier?).

Would have loved to vote for Orange vs Kip. It's a minor miracle to me to be that invested in Kip Sabian, and it told a great story. Another great way of elevating a guy by showing Kip to be the first one to really unravel Orange Cassidy's style and nearly beat him at his own game. 

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 2

I went for the BOTB tag (Though Gregg is on point, I almost went for Kip/OC - that was a good bit of TV, and IMO, the whole 'underrated' aspect of his gimmick is starting to become more and more apt).

I can't say the last time I was so happy to be eating my words - Jarrett has been great here. And not like the 'Good hand, you'll get a competent 7 mins of TV' he usually gets- I mean legit great.

A few people touched on this when he debuted, and I have to admit, you guys were completely right: I inadvertently allowed my memories of him as WCW and NWA world champion to cloud my judgment, forgetting how great he can be at the tertiary-title level - and I'd be surprised if I was alone on that. 

Edit: though I should mention, I had a dream (nightmare?) last night that there was going to be a Harris Twins vs Billy Gunn/X-Pac vs The Acclaimed PPV match, so... Maybe not outta the woods yet as far as my psyche is concerned...

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1