DVDVR Message Board

Rampage + Battle of the Belts V - 1/6/2023

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I’m so happy they went with Bennett vs Darby instead of Taven. Bennett is so much better than Taven and that match rocked.

I understand the baggage that comes with Taven, but I think he might have a lot more value as a midcard heel than he gets credit for. He's a good background actor when other people are talking. He stooges well, he knows where the camera is, he gets real heat, his selling can be the right kind of goofy for that role, he can catch dives well enough that CMLL loves him. I don't think he should be anywhere near a title but I think he might be a new-and-improved Shawn Spears type.

I'm not going to type out 100 reasons why Acclaimed vs. Himalaya Dixies was better than Omega vs. Ospreay but I'm going to spend the rest of the day thinking them.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

What I saw of Matt Taven alongside Mike Bennett and Maria in Impact was a bright spot on their show, and rightfully earned them this job. A job they've done very well with thus far. The tag bout with the Martins being the higlight alongside this excellent Rampage bout with the consistently awesome Darby Allin. 

Jarrett in AEW is slowly eclipsing the fantastic Lawler in ECW run. Jerry had the promos, but Jeff's working stronger bouts. Lawler was 47, Jarrett is 55. Not saying this line-up sold it as such, but this show came off like it was the most important Friday Night they've done since Punk's debut. This Mansury led team is already (very quietly) showing terrific little strides in the presentation. AEMFNDub.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 8

I find Matt Taven pretty largely inoffensive. As someone unfamiliar with him, I wasn't quite sure what to expect - though I didn't watch, his ROH title run seemed super poorly received online (as Harry notes above) but on the flip side of the coin, I used to work with a kid who followed him pretty closely at New England Wrestling and said he was great in the ring, and a super nice guy (If you're reading this, what up Troy). So I tried my best to reserve judgement, and was pretty pleasantly surprised

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fl1uaLgakAIYyDQ?format=jpg&name=large

THE HOSS AND THE BOSS!!!!

Man if you like big meaty lariats thrown around then this was an hour for you!

First you had a technically face v face bout With BCC v Top Flight although BBC kinda worked as heels since the group is tweener

The you had The Pillar and The Killer working as faces in a bout against The Renegade Twins which on paper was Heel v Heel, those twins took a beating for sure

The El Dangerous Doggo just laid to waste that lucha shmuck

I am all about anytime Darby decides to wrestler and not just jump off stuff, Those Kingdome Boys are certainly solid hands. And looking at Maria I think Mike is the real winner here

So did Jade and Skye just shake hands back stage and agree to shoot on each other. Those kicks where FUCKING STIFF!!! Though this might be AEW 's HOROWITZ Wins!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

Matt Taven is fucking awesome.  Very underrated.

I'll have to hit Cagematch and scope some of his NJPW/TNA/ROH stuff, then - Don't get me wrong, I like what I've seen of him on AEWOH, but it's only been like, six matches or something that's all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DEAN said:

I was remembering how good the Bowens/MOX match from back when Caster was out and after seeing Danielson and Darius beating the fuk out of each other, I want to see Darius versus Anthony Bowens singles match just to see the WORKERS~! of each tag team getting it on.

I was a little surprised there wasn't a respect angle at the end after that hellacious beating. I think Darius took kicks even harder than Yuta. I really hope that they decide to have a Darius-Bryan match as part of his run to the PPV and let them go 20 minutes.

• Like 2

Kip Sabian singing The Cranberries during the match is possibly the best taunt I have ever seen. My friend Carter was abnormally good at Tecmo Bowl and used to sing Zombie whenever he correctly guessed the play. 

Man, this OC/Kip match is so friggin’ great. This is a really special few hours of wrestling. Everything accomplished what it was supposed to. Everything was different.What an awesome show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jay Lethal has been on a good run in AEW since he turned and I told everyone from the beginning midcard Jarrett is great. His over-the-top heel stooging straight out of 1987 CWA sticks out in a good way on AEW shows and he's a perfect guy for the upper midcard home-growns to beat up. While that match isn't gonna get MOTY votes, it was some perfectly distilled pro wrestling.

• Like 7

On 1/7/2023 at 7:30 AM, Matt D said:

• Was a bit weird to have two matches in a row with underdogs doing their best against top wrestlers and the heel/face dynamics wonky, but that's AEW for you. Renegades looked good out there. I half wonder if them being back means Rosa's about ready to come back. I think it more or less lived up to my measured hype for it the other day but yeah, no twin magic is sad

KINDA HARD TO PULL OFF TWIN MAGIC WHEN YOU ARE GETTING A WHOOPIN LIKE THAT!

• Like 2