DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2022-23: PERIOD 2

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Marty Walsh - the current US Secretary of Labor - will be leaving his post to become the new executive director of the NHLPA replacing Donald Fehr

TIL that Donald Fehr is still alive. 

Was thinking, "man, he's been NHLPA director forever" - he's only had the job since 2010. I was thinking of his time leading MLBPA from 83-09. 

I don't know why but I am really enjoying Patrick Kane being all emo that he can't be traded to the Rangers now

Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane admitted that he was looking at the New York Rangers as a possible trade option and isn't happy they opted to acquire Vladimir Tarasenko instead.

"It's not, like, the happiest I've been to hear about a trade," Kane said after the Blackhawks' practice on Friday.

--------

The Rangers filled their need for a scoring right winger by acquiring Tarasenko from the St. Louis Blues on Thursday. A source told ESPN that while New York was interested in Kane, the asking price from the Blackhawks was higher than that from the Blues and there were concerns about a lingering hip injury with Kane.

Kane confirmed on Friday that the Rangers were a team that caught his interest, while reiterating that he has yet to formally decide whether to approve a trade out of Chicago.

"If things were going to happen, that was a team I was definitely looking at. It seems like they kind of filled their void and went ahead and made a deal. It is what it is," he said.

Alexander Ovechkin is stepping away from the Capitals to "attend to a family matter and the health of a loved one"

He will be gone at least a week, if not longer with Coach Peter Laviolette saying Ovie would be gone for the "foreseeable future"

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Alexander Ovechkin is stepping away from the Capitals to "attend to a family matter and the health of a loved one"

He will be gone at least a week, if not longer with Coach Peter Laviolette saying Ovie would be gone for the "foreseeable future"

To follow up on this - Ovie announced that his father has passed away

• Sad 1

After sweeping Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary on the road - for just the fourth time in franchise history - the Red Wings have now won 5 straight. They are 15-5-3 with Tyler Bertuzzi in the lineup. 

Detroit with an excellent win in the road against Washington last night. Washington was missing Ovechkin because of his father's death.

Detroit was without Dylan Larkin for most of the game after he blasted TJ Oshie in the face with a crosscheck. Reading the Red Wings subreddit has been something else. Everyone says he didn't do it intentionally. And nearly all of them think it didn't deserve 5 & a game. I have no idea what they watched. Larkin aimed high with a crosscheck and landed. 100% intentional, 100% deserved 5 & a game. 

On 2/22/2023 at 9:03 AM, Tabe said:

Detroit with an excellent win in the road against Washington last night. Washington was missing Ovechkin because of his father's death.

Detroit was without Dylan Larkin for most of the game after he blasted TJ Oshie in the face with a crosscheck. Reading the Red Wings subreddit has been something else. Everyone says he didn't do it intentionally. And nearly all of them think it didn't deserve 5 & a game. I have no idea what they watched. Larkin aimed high with a crosscheck and landed. 100% intentional, 100% deserved 5 & a game. 

Larkin got a $5k fine. Lots of Detroit fans upset he got kicked out because Larkin has been the recipient of two similar or worse crosschecks that were seen by referees and not penalized. The first one jacked up his neck for MONTHS and put him in the freaking hospital. 

Well, tonight just added fuel to that fire. Michael Rasmussen was the recipient of an identical, possibly even more vicious, crosscheck as the one Larkin delivered. 2 minutes. Ridiculous. 

Nashville's GM David Poile - the only GM in Nashville history and the winningest GM in NHL history - is retiring effective June 30

Barry Trotz is returning to the team as his replacement. (Trotz will act as an advisor until Poile officially retires)

Went to my first Jets game of the year and it may have been the worst game I've ever been to. The Jets just played a heartless lazy game. No drive, no fight for the puck, just total apathy. Bad goals, bad giveaways, nobody on the ice looked like they cared.

Listening to the post-game on the drive home and the hosts and players interviewed were going on about how much better they played in the 2nd and 3rd period, mostly because they out shot the Isles (after only getting one shot in the first period). But like...they didn't? The Isles had their 2 goal lead and were perfectly content to let the Jets flit around the edges and loose low percentage shots toward the net. When asked about the terrible first period, Ehlers even said it was bad, but it didn't cost them the game. The had one shot and were down 1-0 after the first, they literally lost the game in the first.

Such a bummer as it will likely be the only game I go to the entire year.

Only bright spot was it was a kids day, where they had kids doing PA and playing the organ, and all the graphics on the tron and projected on the ice were made to look like crayon drawings. 9/10 for the graphics, -70/10 for the game itself.

• Like 1

K'Andre Miller got a match penalty for spitting on Drew Doughty and is looking at a possible fine or suspension.  While I agree that spitting should be taken very, very seriously, it kinda boggles the mind guys get crosschecked in the face and that's only a 2-minute penalty but spitting is an automatic match penalty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

GOALIE GOAL!!!

Pretty ballsy to try that in a one goal game with that much time left. Love seeing how happy the bench was for him. Chris Osgood and Martin Brodeur would be proud! 

15 hours ago, elizium said:

Went to my first Jets game of the year and it may have been the worst game I've ever been to. The Jets just played a heartless lazy game. No drive, no fight for the puck, just total apathy. Bad goals, bad giveaways, nobody on the ice looked like they cared.

Listening to the post-game on the drive home and the hosts and players interviewed were going on about how much better they played in the 2nd and 3rd period, mostly because they out shot the Isles (after only getting one shot in the first period). But like...they didn't? The Isles had their 2 goal lead and were perfectly content to let the Jets flit around the edges and loose low percentage shots toward the net. When asked about the terrible first period, Ehlers even said it was bad, but it didn't cost them the game. The had one shot and were down 1-0 after the first, they literally lost the game in the first.

Such a bummer as it will likely be the only game I go to the entire year.

Only bright spot was it was a kids day, where they had kids doing PA and playing the organ, and all the graphics on the tron and projected on the ice were made to look like crayon drawings. 9/10 for the graphics, -70/10 for the game itself.

I had the benefit of being able to change the channel. Jets have been sleepwalking since Ehlers came back. 

7 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Patrick Kane to the Rangers for a conditional 2nd (which can become a 1st) and a 4th round pick. 

This makes me laugh a lot considering how emo he got a few weeks ago