DVDVR Message Board

2023 GENERAL RIP THREAD

RIPPA

Walter Cunningham, Apollo 7 astronaut, has passed away at the age of 90 due to complications from a recent fall

Apollo 7 was the first manned mission after the Apollo 1 fire. (Cunningham was the backup lunar module pilot of Apollo 1)

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Lisa Marie Presley,  daughter of Elvis, has died.  

She was 54. 

Damn. Not looking forward to tell Alyson who adores Elvis Presley when she wakes up. It's 02:12 UK time. I forgot that Lisa was at the Golden Globes with her Mum seeing Austin Butler win the Best Actor prize only a few days ago.

French nun Sister Andre (full name Lucile Randon) passed away at the age of 118

She was the world's oldest person and was less than a month away from her 119th birthday

She also holds the record for oldest COVID survivor (she tested positive in January 2021)

The "newest" oldest person (though it hasn't been officially confirmed yet) appears to be María Branyas Morera, a 115-year-old Spanish woman born in the United States.

Fusa Tatsumi, from Osaka, Japan, is 52 years younger than Maria. They appear to be the only two people currently 115 or older still living

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

French nun Sister Andre (full name Lucile Randon) passed away at the age of 118

She was the world's oldest person and was less than a month away from her 119th birthday

She also holds the record for oldest COVID survivor (she tested positive in January 2021)

The "newest" oldest person (though it hasn't been officially confirmed yet) appears to be María Branyas Morera, a 115-year-old Spanish woman born in the United States.

Fusa Tatsumi, from Osaka, Japan, is 52 years younger than Maria. They appear to be the only two people currently 115 or older still living

Scott-Steiner-math-promo-e1623985051964.

• Haha 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fp-XBNjWIAAerpw?format=jpg&name=small

J_xX7PI7?format=jpg&name=small

RIP Betty Boothroyd, Speaker of the House of Commons from April 1992 to October 2000 has passed away aged 93. She was the first female Speaker, the best at it, from West Yorkshire like me and a Labour MP for 27 years. Condolences to Betty's family and friends at this sad time xxx.

Edited by The Natural

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything as weird as Googling someone you knew back in the day and finding out they died?  A few months ago I looked up one of my high school best friends, only to find his younger sister's obituary.  All it said was she died "suddenly."  So...accident or drugs?  That got to me, man.

Last night I looked up an old friend from college who worked at the college radio station in the spot I ended up in when he left, and who helped teach me a lot of stuff.  At first it was "oh, he's not on LInkedIn."  Then "here's his Twitter, but he hasn't posted since 2020.  Oh no."  Then I see the obit and he died in hospice, just three years older than me, in August.  Fuuuuuuuck.

Neither really tops the time I was heading downtown for work and I saw a guy wearing a shirt with the logo of the restaurant I'd worked at maybe 7-8 years prior.  The owner's son was a college friend who worked there and got me the job.  I said "do you know Mark?"  He said "who?"  I said "the owner's son."  His response: "I know the owners had a son who died of an OD a few years back."  That one still gets me and it's been over two decades since that day.

Here's to all the ones we lost and didn't even know it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

I think the most fucked-up one I had was a lot more present-minded than that (at the time).  This was when I was in college.  I had a mandatory public speaking class and there was one guy there that you knew would be your hookup for party drugs if you had ever needed them.  He was more the "can't drive Dad's Porsche so he disappoints him by slinging E in a Ralph Lauren polo shirt" drug dealer than the "nu-metal wannabe who was too stoned to practice and they reformed the band without him under a different name" drug dealer, as those were the two kinds we had.  I used to despise public speaking of any kind, but the professor and the class were so welcoming and freewheeling that it helped me get over it, and I'm actually pretty good with even a little preparation, given my job requires it.

But the class was a Fall one, and at the end of the Spring semester, the prof sent out an email about him and informed us he was gone.  No explanation, no details, no funeral anything - I'm guessing it had happened sometime before and she only got wind of it later and felt the need to let us know.  I think his name was Jonathan.  But seeing the email, "OD" flashed in my mind right away and that had to be what got him.  And that's more than 20 years now, closer to 25.  All that time erased.  I wonder how many of us from that class still remember it - and how many are left, too.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Al Jaffee has passed away at 102. 

You probably know him as *the guy* behind Mad Magazine's cartoons.  He ruled. 

I thought he died like fifty years ago.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I thought he died like fifty years ago.

He did an interview like 10 years ago where he said "all the serious people I knew are all dead."   So a mix of silliness and spite kept him alive this long.  

Like I said, he ruled. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Per numerous reports on social media, poker legend Doyle Brunson has passed away at the age of 89.

He was already well past his prime when I started watching poker in 2003 but still loved watching the guy and listening to him. I miss the days of poker being all over the place, putting the E in ESPN. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pat Robertson, the televangelist who is largely responsible for the politicization of US religion, has died at the age of 93. 

As Clarence Darrow once said, "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Pat Robertson, the televangelist who is largely responsible for the politicization of US religion, has died at the age of 93. 

As Clarence Darrow once said, "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."

quote-all-men-have-an-emotion-to-kill-wh

Perfect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1