DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

I am gonna put this here and I am sure in a couple of hours someone will put it in the upcoming thread

Basically what happens when Disney does Horror

Haunted Mansion

Directed by Justin Simien (Dear White People

Starring Jared Leto, Jamie Lee Curtis, Winona Ryder, Owen Wilson, Danny DeVito, Rosario Dawson, Tiffany Haddish, LaKeith Stanfield, and Hasan Minhaj.

In a similar vein

The Blackening

This is Horror-Comedy (basically comes off as spoof of the Saw franchise)

Directed by Tim Story (Ride Along, Fantastic Four)

Trailer is NSFW for language (and I am talking words I know not to say)

• Like 1

Before Scream VI release, my Scream rankings.

5. Scream 4 (2011).

4. Scream 3 (2000).

3. Scream (2022).

2. Scream 2 (1997).

1. Scream (1996).

Scream and Scream 2 are the best by far then the other three are fighting it out for placements. I liked Scream 3 more than most did.

Edited by The Natural

I'm not sure Ti West is for me. Just finished Pearl and found it painfully boring. I don't know how many times I paused to see how much time was left. I was going to give House of the Devil a shot, but after finding both Pearl and X to be pretty bad, I probably won't bother.

I did like the faux technicolor gimmick

Much like the video game franchise - Silent Hill is gonna get another go as a movie

New one will be called Return to Silent Hill

It will star Jeremy Irvine (War Horse, Great Expectations) and Hannah Emily Anderson (Jigsaw)

Christophe Gans - who directed the first Silent Hill movie - will return to direct

There was a lot to like about the first Silent Hill joint and there was also a lot to hate.   At least they got the Pyramid Head part right even though he was only in there for a hot second.  

Edited by J.T.

On 3/9/2023 at 4:35 PM, The Natural said:

Before Scream VI release, my Scream rankings.

5. Scream 4 (2011).

4. Scream 3 (2000).

3. Scream (2022).

2. Scream 2 (1997).

1. Scream (1996).

Scream and Scream 2 are the best by far then the other three are fighting it out for placements. I liked Scream 3 more than most did.

Great day today seeing Scream VI (2023) with my Sister, her first cinema trip in 18 years as she has right bad anxiety. For that reason, it's a day I'll long remember. We really enjoyed the film with nods to past entries, rules references and what the past can do to us. Scream slasher staples (check that alliteration out). You do need to stay when the credits roll as there's a post-credits scene. Here's how I'd rank the Scream films:

6. Scream 3 (2000).

5. Scream 4 (2011).

4. Scream (2022).

3. Scream VI (2023).

2. Scream 2 (1997).

1. Scream (1996).

THE TANK

Written and Directed by Scott Walker

Starring:  Luciane Buchanan, Matt Whelan, Mark Mitchinson, Jaya Beach-Robertson, Ascia Maybury

In theaters on April 25th.

The wait is over.   S2 of Yellowjackets premiers next Sunday night at 9PM EDT on Showtime.

I believe that there will be a Yellowjackets marathon all day on Saturday.

• Like 1

THE BLACK DEMON

In theaters on April 28th.

It is the love child of The Meg and Deepwater Horizon.

The plot:

Oilman Paul Sturges' idyllic family vacation turns into a nightmare when they encounter a ferocious megalodon shark that will stop at nothing to protect its territory. Stranded and under constant attack, Paul and his family must somehow find a way to get his family back to shore alive before it strikes again in this epic battle between humans and nature.

It turns out that I am not the worst father in the world after all.

A solid season opener for Yellowjackets.   It will be interesting to see what Lottie Matthews's role will be in the unraveling situation.

It seems as though Vanessa also survived the ordeal in the woods.  I am looking forward to how this will affect Taissa's structured, controlled life and career.   Certainly the both of them will hook up now that Taissa's relationship with her partner is being stressed. 

Adult Misty continues to be my favorite character.  She is totally bugfuck insane and it is great.

And the cannibalism has finally begun!

Spoiler

Something told me that Shauna would eat Jackie's ear!  I figured that Jackie might be the first person the girls would feed on in order to survive since Jackie is deceased and frozen for convenience.  Jackie being already dead will provide convenient absolution for the beginning of the horror and then choices will get tougher once the girls are forced to survive by killing the living.

This would also explain why Shauna was so uncomfortable being around Jackie's parents in S1.  She feels guilty.  Jackie's parents still consider Shauna to be a member of their extended family, all the while Shauna knows how and why Jackie died and that she also ate part of their daughter.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Not Horror per se but I think it is a better fit here

Clip from Amazon's upcoming limited series remake of Dead Ringers

Rachel Weisz is playing the twins this time

• Like 1

Clock

Yeah - a whole lotta nope from me on various levels. Well except Dianna Agron in a bathing suit because I am a shallow pathetic man

Melora Hardin's hair alone is terrifying.

Well, dudes.   I shoulda known with a title like "Edible Complex," this would be the episode of Yellowjackets where the cannibalism began in earnest.

I was not disappointed.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I saw Witchboard is getting a remake now too.

Yes, Chuck Russell is directing it.  Dude directed the kick ass 88 remake of The Blob and The Mask.  I am hopeful it will be decent, but Russell also has a long list of shitty action movies hanging around his neck.

Edited by J.T.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:16 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

Had no idea the original was thought of as worthy of a remake.

Any Cronenberg would be the very last idea of remake either. They're so stand-alone and so out there. Dead Ringers is one of the craziest ones and so a complete shock to me. It'd be like making a limited series of Crash.