DVDVR Message Board

2023 INDY WRESTLING THREAD

Flip Gordon got in the ring at Wrestling Open and the fans threw inflatable Globes at him. He started stomping on them, to make them flat.

So the fans sang "It's a round world after all".

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

28 minutes ago, Gorman said:

My longtime friend/announcing protege Joe Dombrowski has a ton of HWA stuff on his site.

https://www.joe-dombrowski.com/

Thanks! Yeah, I’ve got some of that like the Pillman shows and Wrestling From the Heartland Vol 1. Still need to get Vol 2 and Vol 3.

I was referring more along the lines to stuff that’s not already out there from like 2003 and onward. There some stuff from like 07-09 available on Smart Mark Video too and I’ve dug around on YouTube and found some stuff too but a lot of it is handheld or not professionally shot.

I’ve talked to Joe about the HWA library and the ownership of it is very scattered. Les owns what he promoted, the Pillman shows are owned by the Pillman family and Phil Stamper owns everything from after Les Thatcher sold the company. I think Cody Hawk might own a portion too but not sure.

• Like 1

Was at a show last night with two furry boot wrestlers: Warhorse and Rahim de la Suede of Technical Difficulties

I really like Technical Difficulties and wish they’d get some bookings outside of the midwest and Winnipeg

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

Revolver just announced an “Unlucky 13 Staple Gun Match” between Alex Colon and Crazy King for the June 17th show in Dayton. Rules are you must staple your opponent 13 times before you can win via pin or submission. Sounds insane and ridiculous but also incredibly violent and wild.

https://twitter.com/pwrevolver/status/1657883721502957568?s=46&t=EFg0i0fm-YcSlWYDVK5rLw

On 5/12/2023 at 1:48 PM, Dolphman 3000 said:

The Sundome holds a little over 7000 people iirc, so this could wind up being a pretty massive show. Eastern Washington has a large hispanic population too so they're smart to have it be lucha themed.

• Like 3

Watching PWG’s November show (“Dink”) and it’s really good.  The lucha six man was nuts and I’d highly recommend Mike Bailey/Leo Rush if you can get your hands on it.  So good.

Holt fuck is John Gresham on that Barry Bonds diet.  Bonding over something and finding common ground is the key to a good marriage.  Unfortunately Gresham and Jordynn came together over body dysmorphia.

The DEFY show in Seattle last night was really good, and a little noteworthy. So with that in mind, in tribute to the big guy (who I am nowhere near as talented a writer as just to be clear) here is my best attempt at a road report:

We left around 330pm to pick up my third friend so we would have time to eat before the show. We stopped at a local place called Indigo where I had some absolutely fantastic jerked chicken street tacos. My one friend (whose only request was that we stop somewhere that sold either a burger or wings) decided to get fish and chips which we both hassled him about because he stated like 3 times as long as he could get a burger or wings he'd be happy. We still had a good amount of time to kill as traffic wasn't nearly as bad as we had thought it would be so we stopped at a local comic/toy store where I bought a rather cool looking (IMO anyway) figure of The Blob (the Marvel villain, not the murderous gelatinous beast from the horror movies). Eventually we made our way to the show and after waiting outside for a bit get in early (we bought VIP passes). KENTA was the main attraction on the show and he was doing a meet & greet. He seemed pretty comfortable conversing with people so when we got the front of the line and it was our turn I said to him "Punk's GTS looks like shit, and Jericho's codebreaker also looks like shit". KENTA smiled and laughed then said "The original is always the best isn't it?". Nice dude. His english is flawless too, he barely even has an accent. The show starts and the opening match is Artemis Spencer vs Christopher Daniels. Daniels is a regular with DEFY and gets insane heel heat every time. They lock up, Spencer pushes Daniels to the corner and Daniels immediately starts loudly yelling "CLEAN BREAK CLEAN BREAK CLEAN BREAK" over and over again, then berates the referee for not doing his job (which draws a loud "Fuck you Daniels" chant). Eventually these 3 guys who have sort of been Daniels' protoges/lackeys interfere. Spencer takes them out but then Daniels rolls him up (with feet on the ropes for leverage) and gets the win. Afterwards all 4 put the boots to Spencer until the lights go out and we hear "KO-NNICHI-WA" and Curry Man's music starts playing. Daniels is understandably confused as Curry Man comes out. It's pretty obvious to regular fans that this is local guy (and former DEFY champ) "Ravenous" Randy Myers, who recently lost a loser leaves Defy match to Daniels. Mye...Curry Man takes out the henchmen then Daniels powders out of the ring. A local tag team called Midnight Heat are out next (they're great, old-school heels by the way) and call out a new tag team in the area called Reloaded. Reloaded are a couple of young kids who must have just graduated from a local wrestling school because neither one looks old enough to even drive a car. It's a pretty decent match, Midnight Heat get the win. They also get really great heel heat every time they come out. Next up is the DEFY women's title as Vert Vixen defends against Shazza McKenzie. This is my first time seeing Shazza, and while I will try to keep this as appropriate as possible let's just say that the thing you've read she is most famous for absolutely has to be seen in person to be really appreciated. Vixen has been wrestling 3 or 4 years now, and while she still needs some work you can see a LOT of potential in her. Give her a couple more years and I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't in one of the big companies. A very good match, Shazza had to do a little carrying in a couple of spots but it was still quite enjoyable. Vert wins and retains, but I hope they bring Shazza back as I would not mind seeing more of her. At one point someone started a "Women's wrestling" chant which some people countered with "It's just wrestling". Galeno del Mal (Dr Wagner Jr's kid) vs Delta Jr is next. Galeno is MASSIVE in person. It was actually better than I had thought it was gonna be. I thought Galeno was going to be very plodding based on a couple other matches of his I watched but he moved around pretty well. It was way more back and forth than you would think if you looked at the 2 (Delta Jr is very skinny) and was a decent lucha match. 6 man tag next as Judas Icarus, Travis Williams and Evan Rivers (the 3 guys who interfered in Daniels' match earlier) take on Rocky Romero, Guillermo Rosas and Cody Chuun. This was a hell of a fun match. If you haven't seen Cody Chuun, try to. He is REALLY good and has gotten better every single time I've seen him. Rosas is insanely over with the Defyance (that's what the fans are called). A lot of fun action in this, all 6 guys looked really good. Team Romero gets the win then we get a fun little bit where Rosas and Romero try to do the same breakdance move Chuun frequently does (basically a spinerooni but he strikes a different pose at the end). Another women's match as Nicole Matthews takes on Allie Katch. Nicole spends the bulk of the early match working over Katch's arm and god bless her Allie sells it for the entire match (holding it in pain, shaking it trying to get feeling back, struggling to use it, etc) which my friends and I remark is so rare to see anymore. This was a REALLY good match and if not for the main event probably would have been my match of the night. Nicole eventually gets the rather dubious win as she distracts the ref by removing a turnbuckle pad then while he's fixing it, she hits Katch with a wrench and puts her in an armbar which Katch taps out to. Main event time as Nick Wayne defends the DEFY world title against KENTA. Early in the match KENTA is mocking Wayne, calling him "little baby" and trying to bully him. This is a fantastic match, and will be airing for free in a few days on some free new wrestling streaming service that's launching (called Wremix) so I would highly encourage you to watch it. KENTA tries a couple of times to cheat before eventually hitting Wayne with the title belt, hitting the GTS and getting the win (shocking the HELL out of the crowd).

A few pics I stole off twitter:

Spoiler

Fx0PeSbacAE-7H8?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Spoiler

FxwbvGVaQAAAugw?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

FxwGSo5aIAAD0yo?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by BrianS81177
forgot a match
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We have a new GCW heavyweight champion as Blake Christian cashed in his chance as a world title at the end of an absolutely brutal death match involving Masha Slamovich and Rina Yamashita who got the title shot by winning Tournament of Survival the previous day.    While Blake is a great wrestler and one of the best heels in GCW, it will be interesting if he is willing to do what most champs have done and work a death match style from time to time.  He doesn't have to be Nick Gage but he at least needs to be Matt Cardona

Speaking of Gage if you want to see one of the weirdest things, the opening trophy ceremony with him and John Zandig is up there.  All I can think is imagine the end of Rocky 3 with light tubes.   They may have worked themselves into a playful shoot

• Like 2

Sad Masha's run ended, hopefully she gets it back.

Haven't been paying as much attention to GCW, as I feel like giving the belt to Mox just killed any momentum they had. Should have kept it on Cardona, who gets legit heat and would have actually been around to defend it. Masha with the belt was getting me back into it, hopefully Blake can do something cool with it.

Lots of wedding angles in the indies these days. JT Dunn proposed to Allie Katch in Wrestling Revolver, Mance proposed to Steph De Lander in GCW, and Little Mean Kathleen and Love, Doug set the date for their wedding at Beyond's Americanrana show in August

It's neat that KENTA beat Nick Wayne for the DEFY Title...but, like, why? It's not like he's gonna suddenly start working there every 2-3 weeks.

I dunno: I've known Nick since he was 13, and I guess he's probably almost ready to head to AEW...but still. Makes no sense to me.