DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVI - 1/28/2022

Dolfan in NYC

17 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

The Bloodline stuff is some of the best storytelling in wrestling history. Everything is more compelling by the week. It ties in two years of storytelling and even to the early days of NXT considering Sami and KO’s friendship. 

It really is the best thing on television at the moment. It is one of those things where wrestling really shows itself as art and is doing so without wearing that on its sleeve.

The catharsis of the moment is not going to be Sami beating Roman. The moment is going to be Jey returning to his place under Roman’s thumb (under the guise of family) and KO returning to rescue Sami after he forgives his best friend. And I think that is a lot better and intricate than Sami beating Roman.

It's compelling but where are they going with it? The Bray Wyatt stuff was compelling too for a while. Now it's become utter nonsense.

The main problem for me (in a kinda kayfabeish way) with Cody being the one to dethrone Roman is that he doesn’t deserve it, he was away for x number of years, came back had about 5 matches and was gone again and now he’s the one to end Romans 2.5 year run? No. Sami is the one that makes most sense right at this moment. 

Business wise- absolutely Cody is the right choice now (merch sales, crowd reaction etc.) and there’s only so much more juice left in the Bloodline story but I just don’t think Cody is the long term top guy. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's compelling but where are they going with it? The Bray Wyatt stuff was compelling too for a while. Now it's become utter nonsense.

That’s the point of being compelling. Would anyone have thought that when Sami first approached The Bloodline with his services it would end the Royal Rumble in this fashion? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, peterien said:

Came here to post this, this is the way I see it happening. Some sort of street fight in Montreal and then the title matches at WM. Replace Jay with Cody for the 6 man maybe? 

Putting Cody in the same zip code as Sami at EC, much less the same ring, would be the worst booking choice since WCW decided to go all in on Master P. He will be embarrassed to a biblical degree.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

They clearly aren't going to pull the trigger on Sami Zayn being that guy. So what is the point of this feud and storyline even? What are you going to ultimately do with Sami Zayn here if he's not going to face Roman Reigns at WrestleMania?

I tend to agree that they won't pull the trigger on Sami. But the bolded part, does every single storyline or feud have to end with the good guy winning? The point of the story & feud is compelling TV. Thy hv a billion hours of TV a week. Having something compelling that pretty much everyone agrees is a lot of fun to see unfolding is the point. There's a number of ways to go with it. But not every story has to have the same destination for it to be considered a successful journey.

• Like 1

The LA Knight-Wyatt segment felt like some relic of wrestlecrap past you might come across that you've never seen, but what a find! Highly entertained by the complete absurdity. I feel thankful that this happened. I also feel thankful that AEW didn't jump at the opportunity to sign Bray. Good move Tony. I joined the Women's Royal Rumble in progress from Nikki Cross forward. I skimmed a small bit, but really liked what I saw, and especially that closing stretch. I've only seen a few clips of Piper Nevin, but what a bad ass! Asuka and Cross too, who paired off nicely here. I'd love for them to get a singles with some time. And Rhea Ripley is a wonderful performer, and so was that finish. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

EC

Sami in Elimination Chamber for #1 contender of 1 of the titles 

Cody vs Gunther when Cody puts his title shot on the line 

Road to Wrestlemania

Reigns becomes terrifyingly evil as he fights a two front war. Bloodline falls apart.

Night 1 

Sami vs Roman

Night 2

Cody vs Roman

Sami & Jey vs Jimmy & Solo 

Night 3

Profit

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I tend to agree that they won't pull the trigger on Sami. But the bolded part, does every single storyline or feud have to end with the good guy winning? The point of the story & feud is compelling TV. Thy hv a billion hours of TV a week. Having something compelling that pretty much everyone agrees is a lot of fun to see unfolding is the point. There's a number of ways to go with it. But not every story has to have the same destination for it to be considered a successful journey.

Considering how long they've built this up...yes.

• Like 1

Meltzer thinks that Sami and Owens will challenge the Usos for the tag titles at WM.  He actually fantasy booked an interesting angle that fans hopefully wouldn’t shit on.

.Hopefully that’s the route the company goes.  I’ve enjoyed the angle but don’t really buy Sami being a threat to Roman or want to see him end Roman’s run.  

Daves’s fantasy booking did have Sami challenging Roman at the Canada ple. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greggulator said:

That’s the point of being compelling. Would anyone have thought that when Sami first approached The Bloodline with his services it would end the Royal Rumble in this fashion? 

Considering they've been building to this for a couple months, kind of yes. But then what are they going to do with Sami after the fact now that he's turned on Roman Reigns and he's not supposed to go to WrestleMania?

Meltzer thinks that Sami and Owens will challenge the Usos for the tag titles at WM.  He actually fantasy booked an interesting angle that fans hopefully wouldn’t shit on.

.Hopefully that’s the route the company goes.  I’ve enjoyed the angle but don’t really buy Sami being a threat to Roman or want to see him end Roman’s run.  

Daves’s fantasy booking did have Sami challenging Roman at the Canada ple. 

Except last night they had Jey Uso walking out on The Bloodline because he likes Sami and he didn't want to take part in the beatdown.

I thought the Men's Rumble match was really good because it didn't have too many of the same tropes we've been seeing for about a decade or so. If felt like mostly everyone was trying to win the Rumble instead of doing spots to try to make next year's Royal Rumble highlight reel. It felt closer to the earlier Rumbles.

Gunther is really being booked like a Credible Hoss type between DX backing off from him Monday and last night. 

I'll watch the main event back tonight because I was sidetracked while I was watching last night but that post match was something in terms of heat. I'm sure Roman was eating it up. This heel run has been a hit but that's the first time he's gotten close to the same level of heat at the night after he beat Taker at that one Wrestlemania.

Cody is still one of the top merch sellers right? I'm interested if Sami comes out with new merch would he outsell Cody now that they are both on the active rosters. If Cody wasn't selling the out this weekend maybe Hunter would consider going with Sami over Cody. 

I have no problem with Cody going over at Mania because it was probably they plan even if he never hurt but how do they plan to program him against Roman with it making sense storyline wise without neglecting the Sami dynamic and possibly getting Cody rejected in revolt

31 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I have no problem with Cody going over at Mania because it was probably they plan even if he never hurt but how do they plan to program him against Roman with it making sense storyline wise without neglecting the Sami dynamic and possibly getting Cody rejected in revolt

In a morbid kind of way I would find it hilarious if we go full circle and Reigns is on the other side of the fan revolt reaction. Instead of getting booed for being the replacement fans don't want, he's the one dropping the title to the replacement fans don't want.

I think The Bloodline angle is awesome. But I don't think Sami is Bryan & Cody is Batista here if we're talking WM30 scenario. Cody is legitimately over with WWE fans. At worst if they go with him they'll be small smatterings of Sami chants. I mean if this was full blown history repeating it's self Cody would have been booed at number 30 when Sami didn't come out. That didn't happen. And no matter how the angle continues I don't think it's very likely the fans revolt on Cody like that.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As someone who doesn’t normally watch, was there more weird hair last night because it was a big show or that just normal for people’s wardrobes these days? 

Par for the course these days.  I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary.  

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

They clearly aren't going to pull the trigger on Sami Zayn being that guy. So what is the point of this feud and storyline even? What are you going to ultimately do with Sami Zayn here if he's not going to face Roman Reigns at WrestleMania?

My guess...  Jey Uso turns on Zayn.  Owens saves Zayn.   Owens and Zayn vs. Usos.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As someone who doesn’t normally watch, was there more weird hair last night because it was a big show or that just normal for people’s wardrobes these days? 

I definitely think the hair color pendulum of the women’s division has swung from having a few women with wild hair color that stands out in a good way to having, like, only 10% of the roster looking like relatable human beings.

Royal Rumble remains the only WWE event I still somewhat partially like to watch, but man, I feel a little bit like the Malcolm in the Middle meme with Dewey expecting nothing from his birthdays and still getting dissapointed (main event and especially the aftermath was great, though).

I hate how WWE always and always and always tries to put over nicknames of wrestler. Ring General, A-Lister, Harbinger of Doom, the Beast, the Almighty, Seth 'freakin Rollins, Mommy's home, the Glamazon, the Nigerian Giant, Monster of all Monsters and of course the American Nightmare... sigh.

I really laughed at Rey Jr Jr struggling to tear apart Rey Jr's mask.

Sheamus, Gargano, Miz and the ten chops, New Day teasing fighting each other and Logan Paul and Ricochet jumping were nice  spots - not nearly enough of them and too much of come in, do your spots, waste time by gently pushing each other near the ropes. So much time wasted by wrestlers just hugging and laying in the background. So - much - time - wasted.

Skipped everything until Asuka entered the womens rumble because Asuka is one of the greatest wrestlers around period. And, really, look no further than Asukas stint in the rumble too see how bad and uninteresting WWE is booking the rumble matches. She was in the match for thirty minutes and did absolutly nothing after her initial few moves up until eliminating Deville. Then she layed around again for a few minutes and suddenly we're done to three women and after maybe two real spots Asuka is done. Oh, and I really hated how Liv had to put her head between Rheas legs to get eliminated.

It's so great to see El Generico and Kevin Steen beeing absolute main events players and still continue to play their lifelong story of will they-won't they. Sami played his part perfectly on the sideline, Reigns was great, everyone delivered. Still, I'd like to see the PPV end on a babyface high note with Sami standing tall but I get it's not the end of this story, so, I guess, all good.

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

But I don't think Sami is Bryan & Cody is Batista here if we're talking WM30 scenario. Cody is legitimately over with WWE fans.

While I do think the WM30 comparisons are overblown I do think people keep overstating how over Cody actually is. He is liked, but Sami is absolutely loved right now. Its not a case of fans revolting as much as one guy is a lot more over right now and likely to draw than the other. That is why I think any scenario that sees Cody dethroning Roman over Sami is just kind of ridiculous at this point. 

Honestly I think I would make the male Elimination Chamber match be for the tag team titles and have Sami and KO take the belts off the Usos. 

I don't think you have to have Sami/Roman at WM, I think you could push it further down the road. First you have Sami and the Usos, then you have Sami and Solo, and then you finally have Sami and Roman face off. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

My guess...  Jey Uso turns on Zayn.  Owens saves Zayn.   Owens and Zayn vs. Usos.  

That's like Ed Leslie was good all along and was just pretending to be evil in the Dungeon of Doom because he was undercover.