DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVI - 1/28/2022

Dolfan in NYC

41 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Rare disagreement with you, my friend. Roman Reigns losing one of the world titles telegraphs the outcome of the second night. Bigger still Roman losing with run-ins is still Roman losing. That moment needs to be saved for Roman Reigns first pinfall loss in years for both belts. Said earlier in the topic splitting both world titles dilutes the moment. I'd rather Cody Rhodes lose night one and Sami Zayn wins night two. I hope we don't get a triple threat route. Inserting Rhodes into the Bloodline angle feels off.

I still think it'll be Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes and Usos vs. Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens with Reigns/Zayn at Elimination Chamber before in Montreal.

I’m not dead set on any fantasy bookings and I’m sure the story will turn out well. I will say that a lesser example of this scenario would be the Hangman Saga. Kenny Omega dropping the Impact title to Christian Cage didn’t hurt the inevitable outcome of Hangman’s arc. It allowed Impact to have their belt split away from the storyline and Hangman’s victory wasn’t dampened. Sami’s arc is more Reigns/Bloodline based and Cody’s is more strictly title/legacy based. This being back to back nights, I do see your point, but I still think it is very much doable and all the performers involved would be able to pull it off. 

How they could get Cody into the feud, they have until April. I’m assuming with his Rumble win, they already have a plan to weave things together. I don’t know how, but I totally didn’t see the Jey reaction happening. So even if it is Sami or Cody and not both, I'm trusting their process. 

The fact that I’m this invested in a WWE story is astounding work! It wasn’t that long ago I was pretty much out on the product. 

• Like 3

the men's Rumble couldn't have been worse than last year and it was actually pretty good this year, didn't have to do any of the surprises that people were rumoring, no Shane McMahon nonsense, Brock got in and out quick. Cody won so maybe it's Cody vs Roman but who really knows.

there's an argument to be made that Gunther or Rhea should have drawn #2 to avoid duplicating the heel entering at 1 and making a long run

Bray did his usual bullshit. The closest we came to story advancement is that Uncle Howdy can do an elbowdrop

Of course they had to do Alexa directly after Bray but Alexa jobbed and some spooky montage stuff happened

The Women's Rumble was a thing that happened. Guess we're doing Bianca/Rhea at WM?

When did Kid Rock change his name to Hardy?

And the Main Event was a pretty good epic and Sami got pushed to the brink and then turned face and got beat down and I guess there'll be some variant of an Elimination Chamber with Roman/Sami/Owens/etc in Montreal.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Batista didn't have Cody's HIAC performance, but Batista is Batista and Cody is Cody lol. 

Only saw the first Rumble and the Black Light Match. Whoever thought that the best way to get Cody over as a babyface ace was by letting him come in at 30 and eliminate a heel who drew number 1 and wrestle 80+ minutes should be fired immediately. 

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Thanks for reminding me about that. Cody Rhodes needed to be in sooner unless he wasn't 100% there yet.

• Like 3

Jesse the Body mode ON

Mack-Man, that sniveling disloyal rat Sammy Zayne made me sick at the Royal Rumble. He had a chance to show Roman Reigns how loyal he is and he sure did, Mack-Man. When I was a Navy Seal in Vietnam, you knew some of the people there would frag the commanding officer when they got upset. Roman is Sami’s commanding officer and Sammy betrayed Roman when Roman just wanted to teach Kevin Owens a lesson. I don’t understand why so many people are on Sammy’s side. He’s the sort of guy that would get his head shoved in the toilets in high school. He should be happy that Roman let him be an Honorary Uce. Instead Sammy wants to bail out his old friend Kevin Owens, like how the government bailed out the banks with taxpayer money and he’s gonna lie about Roman like how the government lied to invade Iraq. Mack-Man, a man’s word used to mean something and Sammy Zayne’s word don’t mean nuttin.

Jesse the Body mode OFF

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Jesse the Body mode ON

Mack-Man, that sniveling disloyal rat Sammy Zayne made me sick at the Royal Rumble. He had a chance to show Roman Reigns how loyal he is and he sure did, Mack-Man. When I was a Navy Seal in Vietnam, you knew some of the people there would frag the commanding officer when they got upset. Roman is Sami’s commanding officer and Sammy betrayed Roman when Roman just wanted to teach Kevin Owens a lesson. I don’t understand why so many people are on Sammy’s side. He’s the sort of guy that would get his head shoved in the toilets in high school. He should be happy that Roman let him be an Honorary Uce. Instead Sammy wants to bail out his old friend Kevin Owens, like how the government bailed out the banks with taxpayer money and he’s gonna lie about Roman like how the government lied to invade Iraq. Mack-Man, a man’s word used to mean something and Sammy Zayne’s word don’t mean nuttin.

Jesse the Body mode OFF

Will you stop?!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So the "Worst PPV performance by a guy called Hardy" title changed hands finally? Jeff no longer holds it?

I'm a bit confused as to why th Rumble was yesterday. I thought it was tied to the NFL season, that it always happens during that week off between the Divisional Playoffs and the Superbowl?

Edited by AxB
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Octopus said:

I’m not dead set on any fantasy bookings and I’m sure the story will turn out well. I will say that a lesser example of this scenario would be the Hangman Saga. Kenny Omega dropping the Impact title to Christian Cage didn’t hurt the inevitable outcome of Hangman’s arc. It allowed Impact to have their belt split away from the storyline and Hangman’s victory wasn’t dampened. Sami’s arc is more Reigns/Bloodline based and Cody’s is more strictly title/legacy based. This being back to back nights, I do see your point, but I still think it is very much doable and all the performers involved would be able to pull it off. 

How they could get Cody into the feud, they have until April. I’m assuming with his Rumble win, they already have a plan to weave things together. I don’t know how, but I totally didn’t see the Jey reaction happening. So even if it is Sami or Cody and not both, I'm trusting their process. 

The fact that I’m this invested in a WWE story is astounding work! It wasn’t that long ago I was pretty much out on the product. 

I put the odds of night two of Mania ending with Cody, both titles and confetti at less than 25%.

I mean the next PPV is in Montreal. That crowd isn’t going to have any interest in the All American comic book hero getting that spot over their guy. (Though like the build for WM30, they could use this to add to the heat)

6 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

The persistent idea of Sami actually beating Roman is about as ludicrous as the constant takes of him winning the Rumble were.

User name checks out.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

I still think it'll be Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes and Usos vs. Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens with Reigns/Zayn at Elimination Chamber before in Montreal.

I can't see Jey vs Sami after he walked out last night. Jey/Sami/KO vs Reigns/Jimmy/Solo has way more juice... especially if you make the Usos keep defending the tag titles while they're fractured.

• Like 2

Last thought from me is that I thought the announce team really stood out last night. Cole and Pat are the best in the company since JR/Heyman and Graves was great in his role of reminding the viewer of long term continuity while toning down the overt heelishness. They really ran the full gamut from high comedy to serious drama and nailed it.

Shit for large parts of this show they were basically Excalibur and Taz on Dark. Cole’s continuous shitting on Top Dolla is just tremendous.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

The persistent idea of Sami actually beating Roman is about as ludicrous as the constant takes of him winning the Rumble were. The pop for the chair shot was nice, but personally thought it was absolutely stupid why he would randomly hit Roman after all this time for no real reason.

Sympathetic Babyface Sami watching KO get brutally beaten for 10 minutes while doing nothing, then hitting Roman while his back is turned. Truly Emmy-worthy writing.

I’m also getting a good chuckle at people calling it a “callback” to Seth turning on Roman, when like a solid 50% of turns in wrestling history have involved someone getting hit in the back with a weapon. Just because they used the same trope both times doesn’t make it clever!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

User name checks out.

I can't see Jey vs Sami after he walked out last night. Jey/Sami/KO vs Reigns/Jimmy/Solo has way more juice... especially if you make the Usos keep defending the tag titles while they're fractured.

Came here to post this, this is the way I see it happening. Some sort of street fight in Montreal and then the title matches at WM. Replace Jay with Cody for the 6 man maybe? 

I have no interest in Cody main eventing WM and listening to “MY FATHER…” promos for the next few months but I totally see why that direction makes sense based on merch sales etc. I don’t see him keeping the crowd on his side though. 

25 minutes ago, peterien said:

Came here to post this, this is the way I see it happening. Some sort of street fight in Montreal and then the title matches at WM. Replace Jay with Cody for the 6 man maybe? 

It would actually be a perfect Elimination Chamber match.  Start the match with Sami and Jimmy, bring Solo in third to double team.  KO fourth to even the odds, Roman fifth for a 3 on 2 advantage, then Jey last where you don't know who he is going to side with.

• Like 2

Observations from the Alamodome: 

men’s rumble was great even if Cody winning doesn’t necessarily excite me. Eyes were on Gunther most of the time because he really was working every single second it seemed like. A lot of “iron man” spots include laying around, lying on the floor etc. No, Gunther was working every single second and sure seemed like he had more in the gas tank than even #30 out there. Thought the entrants from like 20-29 were some real chaff that had no chance of winning. Where was AJ? Shinsuke? Riddle? Hell, even Dolph? I don’t watch the weekly so maybe there’s an explanation.

couldn’t really see shit during the Mountain Dew match, other than LA’s glow in the dark underwear. Had to look at the screen to even see Bray. I mean, sure it probably looked cool on camera at home but not much to look at live. The weird Uncle Howdy spot was weird because you couldn’t see any of it. Other than the initial explosion I couldn’t see any of them and the video showed an open flame but I couldn’t even see that. Really weird. 

A 51,000+ arena can get really quiet if it’s a woman’s match that has no question about who’s winning.

Women’s Rumble was fun too, but wow there’s a lot of women doing absolutely nothing and I have literally have zero interest in. Section I was in was bashing hard on Dana Brooke, Emma, and B Fab. Holy cow they were vicious. Crowd got up for Becky, got really amped for Asuka. Roxanne and Racquel got decent pops. Was pretty content with Rhea winning, but I think you can argue that she didn’t necessarily need to win the Rumble, but it’s a good feather in her cap, and probably a great win for the Judgment Day. Also her hitting Riptide on Nia after notching the body slam was great.

Main event was very good. Roman Reigns melodrama is one of my least favorite genres, and watching live without his midmatch commentary between moves is probably for the best. But the turn was awesome, made sense, and got nuclear heat. 

If they did this angle before the rumble, everyone would’ve booed the shit out of Cody winning. So good idea on their part, but how are they going to figure this out so Cody doesn’t get shit on for not being Sami? I don’t know.

Most merch I saw was bloodline stuff. There were also a ton of San Antonio specific rumble stuff, like San Antonio 3:16 or some cheap looking Royal Rumble cowboy hats. Didn’t see a ton of Cody merch, unless I couldn’t tell what it was. A lot of Brock, a lot of Honorary Uce, but more blooline than anything.

A ton of kids. Tons. All wearing Roman stuff, talking about how Roman was their favorite and he gonna kill Kevin Owens. I’m not sure this type of booking is necessarily right for the childrens. Maybe goodie two shoes Cena wasn’t so bad. We live in a society. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Where was AJ? Shinsuke? Riddle? Hell, even Dolph? I don’t watch the weekly so maybe there’s an explanation.

Hurt, hurt, hurt, and who cares. ❤️ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3