DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVI - 1/28/2022

Dolfan in NYC

That was a pretty darned entertaining Sports Entertainment Premium Live Event. I don't watch a ton of WWE, obviously, but that's the most I've enjoyed one of their shows since the Rumble where KANA and Shinsuke both won, whenever that was. A lot of pleasant surprises. Didn't lean too hard on nostalgia, camera work was relatively restrained, commentary was mostly solid... Nothing distracted from the action in the ring (except for the black lights glow in the dark stuff) and the action itself was all really good. Also: I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes. I saw the sign:

42sKLbx.jpg

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1

The last match was epic in the story it told. Explains why Jey hated Sami for a long while. Sami was basically Jey after Roman broke him during their fued, an eager to please bootlick. Eventually,  Sami won him over by doing whatever was needed to help the Bloodline and Roman discarded him the moment he wouldn't beat down a defenseless KO. Jey just realized family  means nothing to Roman. It's  all about Roman and Jey couldn't bear it. Great long-term storyline. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

As the board’s number one fan of Cody as a babyface with weird heat, I’m good either way. 

It’s definitely going to be interesting. Like it doesn’t feel like the two opponents here belong on screen together presentation- and character-wise.

I mean here’s Cody from your big summer popcorn blockbuster super hero action movies mixing it up with Roman who’s been griming it up in R rated Scorcese flicks for 3 years.

Just kind of oil and water and feels unnatural. No idea how this will turn out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

It’s definitely going to be interesting. Like it doesn’t feel like the two opponents here belong on screen together presentation- and character-wise.

I mean here’s Cody from your big summer popcorn blockbuster super hero action movies mixing it up with Roman who’s been griming it up in R rated Scorcese flicks for 3 years.

Just kind of oil and water and feels unnatural. No idea how this will turn out.

Tom Cruise probably should have been nominated for Best Actor this year, but I’m not sure this is the place for us to get into it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Men's rumble was good. Thought a lot of the eliminations were well done. Brock was used sparingly and correctly. Dug how Judgement Day was used and Dom staying in the match for so long. Gunther came out looking fantastic coming in at no. 1 and being the last guy out. The extended Cody/Gunther segment was good as well. It was not amazing overall, but pretty enjoyable from start to finish.

Bray/Knight was fine.

Bianca/Alexa was solid though nothing super standout.

Women's rumble was less good than the men's though still decent. Damage Ctrl. dominating at points was neat and their eventual elimination worked well enough. Was nice seeing Becky try her damndest to beat them all on her own. Roxanne getting so much love was good to see. Pity she wasn't in longer. Was happy to see painted clown face Asuka. Corey was so damn excited to see it as well along with the crowd. Michelle McCool's entrance was actually amusing. Doudrop going back to Piper McNiven was good to see. Thought Piper, Raquel, and Rhea all looked strong in this. Nia being the big 30 surprise was a WTF moment, but they worked it out well with everyone hating her and aligning to get her ass out. The finish with Rhea, Asuka, and Liv was good.

Roman/KO was unsurprisingly good. The real drama was the post match segment. That shit was amazing. Sami is the best. I kind of feel sorry for Cody. He is either losing to Roman on Night 1 or will be getting booed at not being Sami when the title match goes down. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 4

Up until tonight I would have thought Cody was a shoe-in to win the belt from Roman as he's got a legit comeback story and is the only thing remotely resembling a fresh face out there, but like someone said he's now Batista to Sami's Bryan before WM 30. I just hope they don't end up with a three way match at Mania. Sami winning the EC and Roman dropping one of the belts to someone who defends against Cody is the best way to go.

If Gunther wasn't already the IC champ I'd find a way to get him a title match with Roman at EC, win one of the belts, and defend against Cody. I think the two of them would have great chemistry.

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Up until tonight I would have thought Cody was a shoe-in to win the belt from Roman as he's got a legit comeback story and is the only thing remotely resembling a fresh face out there, but like someone said he's now Batista to Sami's Bryan before WM 30. I just hope they don't end up with a three way match at Mania. Sami winning the EC and Roman dropping one of the belts to someone who defends against Cody is the best way to go.

Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins IV for the WWE Championship. WWE Universal Championship on Roman Reigns as that's the one he's held since August 2020. I'd keep both on Roman Reigns so Sami Zayn takes the WWE Championship and WWE Universal Championship, you don't dilute the moment by dividing the two up.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I am not sure how they transition to Cody either.. obviously this was supposed to be Sami and KO vs. The Usos and that could still happen of course but Sami is so fucking white hot right now.. idk 

The end was just so fucking good, WWE hasn't been that good in ten years. 

Roman saying "or you can just go and do more jackass shit!" Was great.. he was well deserving of those Fuck You chants. 

Jey Uso has been a revelation. He can be a star too, him walking out made so much sense. 

Jimmy Uso looked like a killer, go look at his expressions.. Solo is a machine, Paul is Paul everyone is perfect. 

• Like 4

For all the “Cody is Batista” takes, it also bares reminding that Cody likely has sympathy to lean on from the Cell performance that Big Dave never had. Sami’s clearly red hot, but the dynamic is far from 1:1 right now. We’ll have to see how things crystallize though. 

Either way, Cody and Sami are my number one and two the guys in WWE. Feels like a Mania season where no matter the outcome I’ll get something out of it. Which is a long forgotten sensation. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

We need a DVD box set (we still fortunately get them in the UK) of the Bloodline saga starting with Roman Reigns uniting with Paul Heyman, Roman vs. Jey, Reigns and the Uso's on the same page, the title defences, bringing Sami Zayn in and Solo Sikoa in plus the promos/segments.

• Like 1

I'd have Cody go for the WWE Title. Sami wins the Chamber to get a shot at the Universal title.

Night 1 is Cody v Roman & Sami v Solo. Cody wins and Solo also gets a shock win (ala Owen at Mania 10) before he injures Sami

Night 2 we get Sami v Roman. Sami wins & Roman goes on hiatus afterwards.

Post Mania we have Cody v Rollins on Raw and Sami vs Solo on SDL as a first title program.

Reality is they will put KO/Sami vs The Usos and we will have to settle for that as "catharsis" vs Sami booting Roman's teeth out with a Helluva kick on his way to a world title!!

Edited by L_W_P

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I am not sure how they transition to Cody either.. obviously this was supposed to be Sami and KO vs. The Usos and that could still happen of course but Sami is so fucking white hot right now.. idk 

The end was just so fucking good, WWE hasn't been that good in ten years. 

Roman saying "or you can just go and do more jackass shit!" Was great.. he was well deserving of those Fuck You chants. 

Jey Uso has been a revelation. He can be a star too, him walking out made so much sense. 

Jimmy Uso looked like a killer, go look at his expressions.. Solo is a machine, Paul is Paul everyone is perfect. 

It's lighting in the bottle, strike while the iron is hot. Sucks for Cody Rhodes the timing. Usos vs. Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens for the WWE Tag Team Titles is big but not as big as Roman Reigns vs. Sami Zayn for the WWE Undisputed Championship is. It's the one to do. Will they? I think it'll still be Usos vs. KO/Zayn.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Batista didn't have Cody's HIAC performance, but Batista is Batista and Cody is Cody lol. 

Only saw the first Rumble and the Black Light Match. Whoever thought that the best way to get Cody over as a babyface ace was by letting him come in at 30 and eliminate a heel who drew number 1 and wrestle 80+ minutes should be fired immediately. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

Batista didn't have Cody's HIAC performance, but Batista is Batista and Cody is Cody lol. 

Only saw the first Rumble and the Black Light Match. Whoever thought that the best way to get Cody over as a babyface ace was by letting him come in at 30 and eliminate a heel who drew number 1 and wrestle 80+ minutes should be fired immediately. 

Thanks for reminding me about that. Cody Rhodes needed to be in sooner unless he wasn't 100% there yet.