DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVI - 1/28/2022

Dolfan in NYC

42 minutes ago, EVA said:

im-afraid-ive-got-some-bad-news-bad-news

Unfortunately, the WWE Board agreed with your last sentence.

Everything is obviously on a razor's edge (no pun intended) over there, but all reports are Vince is not interfering with creative.  So, take it for whatever it's worth.

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

Everything is obviously on a razor's edge (no pun intended) over there, but all reports are Vince is not interfering with creative.  So, take it for whatever it's worth.

He isn't until he is, would be my statement. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, just drew said:

Despite wreddit insisting that triple h is a genius, several of his hand picked guys came out to silence at the Rumble. Kross and Johnny Gargano come immediately to mind.

And a number of guys he brought back weren’t on the card at all.  Lumis, Hit Row, Jonah Rook.

28 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I may be just a simple country bird lawyer... 

I had to drop out of law school after a year when the faculty discovered I couldn’t do a convincing Foghorn Leghorn impression.  True(-ish) story.

6 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

And a number of guys he brought back weren’t on the card at all.  Lumis, Hit Row, Jonah Rook.

I had to drop out of law school after a year when the faculty discovered I couldn’t do a convincing Foghorn Leghorn impression.  True(-ish) story.

They trained us at the DA’s office to speak with a southern accent. Made us practice. Supposed to make us talk slower. Mine’s terrible

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, just drew said:

Despite wreddit insisting that triple h is a genius, several of his hand picked guys came out to silence at the Rumble. Kross and Johnny Gargano come immediately to mind.

Not everyone is going to bat 1.000. Triple H has shown that he knows what he's doing. He had a pretty killer few years with NXT. He's gotten off to a strong start on the main roster. 

That said, I have no idea what he sees in Kross. He's going to max out at the Baron Corbin level of things, and be nowhere near as fun as Baron Corbin.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Not everyone is going to bat 1.000. Triple H has shown that he knows what he's doing. He had a pretty killer few years with NXT. He's gotten off to a strong start on the main roster. 

That said, I have no idea what he sees in Kross. He's going to max out at the Baron Corbin level of things, and be nowhere near as fun as Baron Corbin.

Has he? The one compelling storyline involving the male superstars is one he inherited. The womens division has stagnated if not regressed. And his nXt run was so killer it got blown off his night by an upstart. Adam Cole & Johnny Gargano kicking out for 45 minutes has a short shelf life. So far he’s elevated exactly one (1) star; Gunther. Granted, that’s gone even better than anyone though.

19 minutes ago, just drew said:

So far he’s elevated exactly one (1) star; Gunther. Granted, that’s gone even better than anyone though.

Io and Dakota? Legado? Raquel?

It's weird, because I've enjoyed the Bloodline/Sami story generally, and the Rumble ending was really well done. But if AEW ever tried to do something like this, I'd be fucking furious.

1 minute ago, Dog said:

Io and Dakota? Legado? Raquel?

It's weird, because I've enjoyed the Bloodline/Sami story generally, and the Rumble ending was really well done. But if AEW ever tried to do something like this, I'd be fucking furious.

I’m on the fence about Dmg Ctl. They haven’t been booked well and should be much more over than they are, but they are better off than before, so you aren’t wrong. Except Bayley. She should be looking for the quickest way out. Legado is in that dismal tag team scene w the Viking Whatever’s and Shit Row. I need to see a bit more of Raquel. My first impression is “female Braun Strowman.”

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

The card was small and the rumble was more on the top heavy side. I think Gargano, Escobar, Elias, Gable, and Otis were the lowest tier guys around.

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

They trained us at the DA’s office to speak with a southern accent. Made us practice. Supposed to make us talk slower. Mine’s terrible

So I rarely leave Houston, but heard from one of my older sisters that some don't even believe she is from the South, let alone Texas, when hearing her accent. Do we sound that different from other Texans?

50 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

31 minutes ago, just drew said:

Has he? The one compelling storyline involving the male superstars is one he inherited. The womens division has stagnated if not regressed. And his nXt run was so killer it got blown off his night by an upstart. Adam Cole & Johnny Gargano kicking out for 45 minutes has a short shelf life. So far he’s elevated exactly one (1) star; Gunther. Granted, that’s gone even better than anyone though.

Not sure I would say things are going strong beyond The Bloodline and Sami story, but Judgement Day, Ricochet, Gunther, & Theory have all done well under HHH. Drew, Lashley, & Seth have continued on a solid path. Baron has found a solid midcard gimmick. Braun has done well enough in his return. Viking Raiders feel like they are in a better spot as more serious threats. Hit Row are slowly course correcting with the heel turn. There are others in similar situations. I think HHH is doing a mostly decent job with the men. Biggest issue at this point is honestly where things are going so right with the Bloodline and maybe even Gunther has also kind of made pushes for others stagnate. Roman, the Usos, and Gunther are all enjoying decently long reigns, but it also means acts who should be going for their belts aren't because they try to avoid heel vs. heel matches on the main roster. Or in cases like the tag division, acts who should have been champs like the Street Profits or Vikign Raiders are not right now.

Oddly enough I think the weakest part of HHH's current run is the women. Damage Ctrl was not a bad idea, but it feels like he messed up with them along the way by having them lose more than they should have. Wargames in particular should have ended with them winning (moreso Rhea than DC admittedly). Liv's feud with Rousey was done poorly and made her look bad. They had a decent follow up character wise, but didn't really do anything with the momentum. 

5 minutes ago, just drew said:

I need to see a bit more of Raquel. My first impression is “female Braun Strowman.”

Not far off though this is amusing considering the two are a couple.  

Edited by Eivion

50 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I can nearly 100% guarantee that he sees a lot of himself in Kross.

It's like a manager in baseball. Sometimes they just get overly fixated on one specific individual for whatever reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

Runs contrary to the old adage that no landmark legal decision ever came out of a courtroom with a ceiling fan in it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, just drew said:

@eivion I mean, you're right. A lot of acts are at the same level they were before he took over. But "just as good as when Vince was booking" is a pretty low bar. 

Pretty sure this wasn't what I said or was implying. What I was trying to say was most are doing better under HHH with the ones who were already doing well under Vince not really slipping any. The only ones who are doing about as bad as they were under Vince are arguably the women which is weird because NXT is doing better with an arguably less talented division considering how many are developmental. 

Edited by Eivion

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Pretty sure this wasn't what I said or was implying. What I was trying to say was most are doing better under HHH with the ones who were already doing well under Vince not really slipping any. The only ones who are doing about as bad as they were under Vince are arguably the women which is weird because NXT is doing better with an arguably less talented division considering how many are developmental. 

Ok, then I disagree. There's probably 3-5 doing better than they were. Gunther, Riddle... I can't think of any more off of the top of my head. Which would be fine if I wasn't constantly being told how good Triple H is at this. He walked into the best story WWE's told since Daniel Bryan/Wrestlemania 30. Everything else is more of the same. Maybe the mid card is deeper, but that's only useful if folks are making their way from the midcard to the main event, and that hasn't been happening. And I am almost entirely certain WWE is gonna fuck up the payoff for the Bloodline thing, because they're still overly dependent on a handful of stars. 

I also am probably harder on Triple H maybe even than I should be because for years he was such a condescending piece of shit to anyone who had an opinion on the state of WWE's product. "How's your wrestling show going?" The "my friend Mark" speech. Then he finally gets to pick the flavor and it's still "french toast dipped in shit," only this time with slightly more french toast. I think he's been badly exposed.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 2

I mean I can see one having different feelings as to how well HHH is doing in charge but Judgement Day went from months of struggling to finding a groove and flourishing within about 6 weeks of the change in leadership. Even if you hate the guy ignoring that is just silly, more than just 3 to 5 people are much better off.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, username said:

I mean I can see one having different feelings as to how well HHH is doing in charge but Judgement Day went from months of struggling to finding a groove and flourishing within about 6 weeks of the change in leadership. Even if you hate the guy ignoring that is just silly, more than just 3 to 5 people are much better off.

I guess we define "flourishing" differently. They've dropped every important match they've been in. Other than Rhea. Hard Time Dom is hilarious, no doubt there, and their presentation is definitely slicker, but the second they ate that pin from Sami & Jey they went back to being "just there" guys. That really made them look like chumps after several weeks of momentum. They can't beat a makeshift tag team? And I'm not super optimistic about their prospects as they go back into feuding with Edge again. They aren't on tv any more often than they were, because everyone is on tv every week in wwe. I just don't see it. 

You're actually probably right in the technical sense. Ricochet is certainly better off. Piper Niven is better off just not having to be Doudrop anymore. Same for Mia Yim and Nikki Cross with their idiotic former gimmicks. Hit Row is, even though they shouldn't be. Same for Karrion Kross. Whatever that dude had in nxt or the indies, he's just not cutting it here. Someone made a very apt comparison to a baseball manager who just sees something in a guy that isn't there. I'm reminded of Bobby Cox giving guys like Brooks Conrad and Gregg Colbrunn big time at bats in clutch situations. I actually think he might be worse at evaluating who his top guys are than Vince was. I think Vince was usually right in who he picked, he was just horrid at getting them where he wanted them. Until the 2010's, anyway. 

Maybe HHH just needs to get used to all this. I just have a hard time watching this product (outside the Bloodline stuff) and seeing it as any better than it was under Vince. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Even though WWE has been investing in this Sami/Roman storyline for months, WWE has decided it's not good enough to blow off at WrestleMania. They are blowing it off at Elimination Chamber instead. Sami Zayn isn't good enough in WWE's eyes to headline WrestleMania (per Meltzer).

Don't grab the brass ring. New boss same as the old boss.

• Sad 1