DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVI - 1/28/2022

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thanks for reminding me about that. Cody Rhodes needed to be in sooner unless he wasn't 100% there yet.

Luckily for Cody he was facing someone who could go 65 minutes with a ton of people and STILL have a gas tank for another 15 minutes.  

• Like 1

An added layer is how Sami Zayn and Jey Uso have gone on in this story. Jey couldn't stand Sami despite Sami's best efforts. Jey finally accepted him in WarGames, stopped Solo Sikoa from hitting Sami with the Samoan Spike on RAW and didn't attack Sami unlike the rest of the Bloodline here.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

An added layer is how Sami Zayn and Jey Uso have gone on in this story. Jey couldn't stand Sami despite Sami's best efforts. Jey finally accepted him in WarGames, stopped Solo Sikoa from hitting Sami with the Samoan Spike on RAW and didn't attack Sami unlike the rest of the Bloodline here.

If only there was an even longer explanation of their story on this thread. 😉 (just messing with you, Natural)

• Like 1

Split the titles: Sami and Cody win their respective WrestleMania nights. Cody on Night 1 with his Attitude Era style run ins and wildness. Roman loses and is super pissed. He’s gonna kill Sami. Night 2 he almost does, but Sami pulls through. Everyone cries happy tears. Or you reverse the order so Sami gets the first win. Either way, good stuff and it’ll give you two home run aces. Roman gets a vacation if he wants one. 

OR, you have the Uso’s super duper beat up Sami. Like unforgivable rage-filled massacre that makes you say, Roman who? Sandpaper to the face, knuckles to the nose, teeth to the ear type beating. But even then, it’d take some magic to get there. They’ve done a pretty good job with this storyline (and really Cody’s WWE Run as well has been truly magical) that I happily can’t predict what they’ll do and will likely enjoy the outcome. I’m fearfully trusting of WWE which I haven’t been in a long time.

—-

As for the Men’s Rumble (the other match I watched, I came in late) here’s random notes:

Gunther looked like Lebron on a losing Finals team. Totally protected.

Shemus and Drew looked like A-tier characters. Their constant battles with Gunther was the entire match.

Dominic is top level slimeball. Mask vs Hair with Rey and give him a mullet wig if he loses, please.

Omos looked good! First time seeing him in a long time and I loved his trash talk. The right level of reactions to strikes. 

Braun and Brock were protected as fearful monsters who didn’t win. 

Richochet and Logan Paul spring board dual crossbody was the moment of the match.

Hopefully Kofi isn’t hurt. I didn’t know he was eliminated until Brock was angrily circling the ring. I was hoping because his leg was still up he’d fly in the air out of nowhere and leapfrog Brock or something.

Great use of continuing Cody vs Rollins. With Logan Paul eliminating Seth, I wonder if that’s a Mania match.

Production Value is interesting. They illuminate the wrestlers so well. They just look like stars. But the cutting is just too wild at moments. I can tell it’s better than it was but nothing is allowed to breath. Jump for drop kick, CUT, drop kick lands, CUT, same shot you had before. In a rumble match you of course need a lot of cutting, but mid-move same action cuts among all the other jumping around can get tiresome. Also, I wish the camera stayed on the Gable vs Woods grappling. 

Predictable outcome but the best choice. The end had me squirming a bit. I loved Cody getting his head pushed down by Gunther’s foot while they were on the top turnbuckle. Also the sleeper hold sequence I thought would end it. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Dominic is top level slimeball. Mask vs Hair with Rey and give him a mullet wig if he loses, please.

I'm hoping Its Mask vs. hair at Wrestlemania with Dom being a even bigger dick after losing and coming out in a Black Tiger mask, further associating more with Eddie than Rey. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I'm hoping Its Mask vs. hair at Wrestlemania with Dom being a even bigger dick after losing and coming out in a Black Tiger mask, further associating more with Eddie than Rey. 

Woof. That would be slimy

• Like 2

I thought both Rumbles were…fine-ish. Both had some standout moments (loved the women’s finish), but overall it just feels like the art of putting together a good Rumble has been lost. And having two on the same night just underscores how nobody seems to have any new ideas for it.

• Like 5

The persistent idea of Sami actually beating Roman is about as ludicrous as the constant takes of him winning the Rumble were. The pop for the chair shot was nice, but personally thought it was absolutely stupid why he would randomly hit Roman after all this time for no real reason. Could've walked away like Jey did later, like now after WarGames and everything else, this is suddenly too much. But I've pretty much always hated Zayn and Owens together and prefer them apart but that can't happen for long. Roman/Sami at the Chamber will be fun with lots of big pop near falls and then we can move on. Not that I have any interest in Zayn/Owens beating the Usos either considering Owens just did that with Seth a month ago.

Anyways, the Men's Rumble was pretty good. Went in expecting to be disappointed in the surprise category so nothing new there, was mainly into this for Cody being my favorite. Was shocked they had Cody in at 30 considering Brock just won at 30 last year. Cody/Gunther was a really great final two and looked like a future headline feud for sure. the Logan/Ricochet spot was epic. All in all, didn't hear any negative reaction towards Cody so all seems well on that note, glad to have him back. Felt like a proper epic moment/win, loved the commentary referencing Undesirable to Undeniable, and Cole's "From Dashing to Stardust to the Main Event!" 

Was really deflated by the women's rumble, just for once wanted someone, anyone, not the obvious winner to win all the way to the end. So would've marked out if Liv won despite being blinded by the mist, would've been a great moment. Speaking of which, Asuka was awesome.  Loved seeing Zoey go 20+ minutes, great performance. On the other hand, I could not believe they did that same shit to Chelsea Green again lol. As she entered, my immediate thought was well she's gonna last longer than last time (12 seconds) and then she goes even quicker.  Kinda feeling similar to Emma in being sad to see her come back now too. Lacey about killed Zelina on that elimination 

I wanted to like the Mountain Dew Pitch Black Match but damn. An extended five minute squash match. Wyatt and his "personalities" sucks.

Aside from Cody, the biggest thing sticking with me coming out of this is "Wall to Wall and I still ain't sold out!!!!!!"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Split the titles: Sami and Cody win their respective WrestleMania nights. Cody on Night 1 with his Attitude Era style run ins and wildness. Roman loses and is super pissed. He’s gonna kill Sami. Night 2 he almost does, but Sami pulls through. Everyone cries happy tears. Or you reverse the order so Sami gets the first win. Either way, good stuff and it’ll give you two home run aces. Roman gets a vacation if he wants one. 

Rare disagreement with you, my friend. Roman Reigns losing one of the world titles telegraphs the outcome of the second night. Bigger still Roman losing with run-ins is still Roman losing. That moment needs to be saved for Roman Reigns first pinfall loss in years for both belts. Said earlier in the topic splitting both world titles dilutes the moment. I'd rather Cody Rhodes lose night one and Sami Zayn wins night two. I hope we don't get a triple threat route. Inserting Rhodes into the Bloodline angle feels off.

I still think it'll be Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes and Usos vs. Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens with Reigns/Zayn at Elimination Chamber before in Montreal.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

I kinda hope “Kofi falls on his ass and utterly fails to save himself” becomes the new annual tradition.

It’s like Edge cashing in MITB the way he did. If this shit was always happening for real, there’d have been a rule change long ago.

This stuff is tired and played out.

• Like 2