DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVI - 1/28/2022

Dolfan in NYC

57 minutes ago, hammerva said:

If Rhea wins the Rumble, then I would assume it means that we aren't going to get some kind of Rhea vs Beth Phoenix match at WM.   Which would be pretty cool to see. 

Do Rhea/Phoenix at Elimination Chamber or whatever.  But it'd have to be Rhea destroying Phoenix in an uncompetitive match (which *should happen*) as part of her building her path to become champ in Los Angeles.  Seriously, a wrestler who's been retired for a decade should NOT have an even match with someone you want to be as the flagship of your roster.  (hi Edge!)

Rhea vs. Bianca is a good fresh match. But once she's done with that feud, doesn't really set her up for good future matches aside from Becky or a turned Bayley. 

Ripley vs. Charlotte is a great revenge match from her embarrassing loss in 2020. Eventually building to Ripley/Rousey at Summerslam (I'd have Rousey go over there, and have Ripley take her out for good at Mania in Philly.) The main problem there is, you'd have to probably break up Judgment Day. 

Short of them signing someone out of left field like, I dunno, Britt Baker, no one except Rhea should win on Saturday.  (Becky, Raquel, or Liv can win the EC for their title shot later.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Are there 30 women for the rumble without a ton of nostalgia acts showing up?

Yes. The only year they really needed nostalgia acts was probably the first. Otherwise its like the men's where they show up more than anything to be a general surprise and easy pop.

12 Raw, not counting Bliss, Belair, Carmella

Spoiler

Asuka, Bayley, Becky, Candice, Dakota, Dana Brooke, Doudrop, Io, Mia Yim, Nikki Cross, Rhea, Tamina

17 Smackdown, not counting Naomi or Maxxine Dupri

Spoiler

Aliyah, B-Fab, Charlotte, Emma, Lacey, Liv, Natalya, Raquel, Ronda, Scarlett, Shayna, Shotzi, Sonya, Tegan, Valhalla, Xia, Zelina

30 NXT, not running down the list, and not counting Yulisa, Lyons or Ariana Grace

My guesses for NXT appearances -- Fyre, Indi, Roxy, Sol, Stratton, Stark.

Fantasy booking for both rumbles - 

Spoiler

I want Sami winning the Men's Rumble.

I want Roman saying that Sami is definitely Ucey, but nobody wants to see an uncompetitive match in the Main Event of WrestleMania. So how about we do the match in Montreal. "I'll even let you throw the first punch" so some other cocky remark.

Cue weeks of KO (who maybe got hurt in the Rumble match) getting to Sami again. "Are you really just gonna lie down for him? In our home town?" followed by Heyman, Solo and Jimmy on the other side saying "You're gonna get main event pay for 3 seconds of work!" and Jey saying "I know you gonna do the right thing Uce."

Sami then puts up a hell of a fight but falls short and Roman kicks him to the curb. Maybe by deliberately injuring him like he did to KO. We then get Sami/KO vs The Usos for the tag titles at Mania. If Rock was coming in to face Roman then I'd actually have Sami take the title here and do Rock v Roman without it. Sami would then defend against Cody in a face v face match.

I expect that we get Cody winning and facing Roman.

On the women's side I really like the idea of Alexa Bliss winning and going to SDL to join back up with Bray. Let her take the title from Charlotte with some spooky stuff that can help cover her inability to work long, competitive matches.

On the RAW side we get Biance Belair vs Rhea Ripley. It doesn't need the Rumble to build to it. Bring in the Street Profits/Edge to help combat the rest of Judgement Day (I want Montez vs Dominik and I really like the idea Dolfan had of Ripley MDKing Beth Phoenix on the way to mania) and away you go.

Reigns v Rhodes - WWE Title
Belair v Ripley - RAW Women's
Flair v Bliss - SDL Women's

The only other match I want to get at Mania is GUNTHER v Sheamus, the final battle, with Shamus getting his maiden IC Title run and "Mania Moment *tm*" by becoming a Grand Slammer.

Best surprise entrant in Royal Rumble history 15 years ago, John Cena in the 2008 Royal Rumble match from a pectoral tear after 3 months. Nobody saw that coming. Even the Madison Square Garden hardcore crowd cheered Cena before resuming the traditional boos. I really miss that entrance way.

Edited by Dolfan in NYC
  • Like 1

Doudrop pretty much all but confirmed she will be returning at the Rumble in the match

(She said her illness was a really really bad case of COVID that had doctors concerned about her heart but all the test have "come back clean"

Also from the new WON

As of midweek, NXT talent, particularly women, were waiting to hear if anyone was being brought to the Rumble. Given 30 spots and far fewer than that number of women on the roster, there had been talk of different names being used. Ronda Rousey will not be in the Rumble (or at least that was the decision as of midweek) because of the feeling that they didn’t want to marginalize her star power by being just someone in the match since she wasn’t going to win it or be the focal point, and Charlotte Flair, rumored to be in, at press time was not to be in because she’s Smackdown champion. Rhea Ripley has been the betting line favorite to win.

Dave also made mention of a website I have never heard of (Fight Fans) reporting that the WWE had offered a bunch of one day contracts to folks but didn't specify any names or for which Rumble

48 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Ronda Rousey will not be in the Rumble (or at least that was the decision as of midweek) because of the feeling that they didn’t want to marginalize her star power by being just someone in the match since she wasn’t going to win it or be the focal point

God forbid you give someone else on your roster a boost by having them eliminate Rousey

20 minutes ago, elizium said:

God forbid you give someone else on your roster a boost by having them eliminate Rousey

Except they wouldn't get a boost if she isn't a focal point. Beyond that Rousey has not been super over this latest run so how much of a boost would it have really been?

More of a boost than tossing out Xia Li? What does focal point mean anyway, she's Ronda Rousey she's a focal point just by existing in the match. Whether she's as over or not, a competent production team can make it seem like a big deal via announcing, clip packages, etc.

She was champ for most of the last year, is still booked as The Baddest Woman on the Planet, use that for whatever you can. Having her appear in the match and tossed out by someone you're maybe interested in doing more with, either a favourite like Rhea Ripley or someone you're high on and want to give a moment to, is a smart way of using her name without damaging whatever mystique she has left, just due to the nature of the match.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I keep seeing people talking on Twitter  about a surprise Rumble appearance/debut for 

Hide contents

Jay White

Still under contract next month. 

Evil Clown Asuka will be debuting here, yeah? I’m looking forward to that. 

Predictions for the Royal Rumble matches:

Men's: Cody Rhodes. It's him or Sami Zayn.

Iron Man: Seth Rollins.

Women's: Rhea Ripley. I'm rooting for Bayley.

Iron Woman: Bayley though I can see Asuka getting that instead. 

Edited by The Natural

20 announced participants for the Men's Rumble so far. 12 for the Women's.

Temper your expectations.

Fightful Select reported the Men's Rumble opening the show for the first time. Have to see if that is true for ourselves.