DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXVI - 1/28/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Cody seems like the clear favorite. Hoping its a red herring, but there's not necessarily someone I'd prefer aside from Sami Zayn. Rollins is always an option but I'm not intrigued in another Rollins/Reigns feud regardless of the history. I don't see anyone else even being in the running from the current roster.

As for the women's rumble, Rhea Ripley should win...but I'm not sure she needs to win. She's got the best storyline going on RAW right now and it has the legs to last until Mania as I can easily see them going with Rey vs. Dom on Night 1 and Edge & Beth vs. Rhea and Finn on Night 2. Or throw them all in one match. Or add Damien Priest to one side and AJ to the other. The point is, Rhea Ripley is killing it without the title.

Which is another reason why putting her up against Bianca Belair might not be a great idea. Belair managed to stay babyface and popular with crowds in feuds against "smart fan" darlings like Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks, but Rhea is slowly but surely becoming the villain we all love to hate. Even when a heel wins the Rumble, unless they cheat, there's a natural "feel good" story to it because its a huge accomplishment and a show of dominance. Its hard to boo against a cool badass heel who says they're going to outlast 29 other competitors and then does. In this scenario, Belair is still the babyface and -EST, but there could be a segment of the audience who would see a Rumble win as Rhea getting her due after a stellar 2022. There'd also be some who just want somebody fresh at the top of the RAW Women's Championship scene. Ripley is so valuable as a heel right now that it could be a dangerous move to give her big victories and not expect the fans to start supporting her.

• Like 2

That's such a good finish tho, just not with Hogan. Reigns gives Sami the orders that if he wins The Rumble he is out of The Bloodline and his sworn enemy. Sami is number 30 and everyone is eliminated before he even enters. He comes out and is immediately declared the winner while begging the refs not to raise his hand and having a panic attack. He had no control over it. It's not his fault. Don't kick him out of his family. Instant sympathy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If Sami Zayn wins, would really get over the anybody can win aspect. One of the most unlikeliest winners ever. Still pissed WWE didn't do that with Santino Marella in the 2011 Royal Rumble match and instead giving it to fucking Alberto Del Rio. What a story that the guy with the fastest elimination in Royal Rumble history in 2009 to winning it in 2011.

Edited by The Natural

I could see Sami winning and having the Mania match with Reigns, where they do a variation on the famous Volador/Misterioso apuestas finish from 1995.

https://youtu.be/ePOE--CCna0

Spoiler

Kevin Owens interferes at the finish and knocks out Reigns with multiple powerbombs, stunners, what have yous. He begs Sami to pin Reigns and win the title, but Sami decides there's no honor in winning the title that way. He lies down, drapes an unconscious Reigns over his own body and voluntarily gets pinned because the Bloodline is more important than the title.

Then you do a slow build to Reigns kicking Zayn out of the Bloodline, which in turn fractures the group with everyone taking sides. Finally, Zayn wins the title at SummerSlam in the emotional crescendo.

If we're throwing ideas around, one way to keep things going into Spring/Summer and not completely toss Cody under the bus would be this:

Cody wins the Rumble and later gets the Bloodline banned from Ringside (maybe beating Sami on Raw with a stip). Sami finds some insane way to get himself into the match and make it a triple threat, probably at Elimination Chamber (maybe beating Cody in front of the hometown crowd) so he can protect Roman. They could do the deal where both he and Cody go out at the same time at the Rumble too, but I like my idea better. Match is a triple threat at Mania sold on the intrigue of what will happen with Sami. They spend the whole match doubleteaming Cody (just a massive beating) but Cody's able to capitalize on some miscommunication, gets Roman down, and with the last of his strength, hits the Cross Rhodes onto Sami so that he lands on Roman, but can't immediately capitalize. All three guys are basically out but Sami's accidentally out on top of Roman and wins the belt. All the babyfaces come out and hoist a slowly recovering Sami on their shoulders as the fireworks wake him up and he freaks out and they fade to black. Cody's protected. Roman's somewhat protected. Sami has the belt. People want to know what happens next.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That's such a good finish tho, just not with Hogan. Reigns gives Sami the orders that if he wins The Rumble he is out of The Bloodline and his sworn enemy. Sami is number 30 and everyone is eliminated before he even enters. He comes out and is immediately declared the winner while begging the refs not to raise his hand and having a panic attack. He had no control over it. It's not his fault. Don't kick him out of his family. Instant sympathy.

Wanted WWE to do this for a while. Has to be the right person though otherwise be the drizzling shits. Sami's the right one to do it with.

• Like 1

I'm really hoping this is the first Women's Royal Rumble with someone going an hour. Bianca Belair went the closest at 56:52 in 2021.

We haven't had a man going an hour since Daniel Bryan at the Greatest Royal Rumble 2018, 1:16:05 which is insane. That's a record that will never be beat like Santino Marella lasting a second in the 2010 Royal Rumble match. The longest a winner went was Rey Mysterio's 1:02:12 in 2006.

The last man to go an hour in a traditional 30 man was Chris Jericho's 1:00:13 in 2017.

Edited by The Natural

19 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Who would be the worst winners of the Rumbles?

Brock came back last night. I don't want to see him in it, more or less win it. The only way I'd like to see him in is to get tossed by Walter to set up a WM match.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Brock came back last night. I don't want to see him in it, more or less win it. The only way I'd like to see him in is to get tossed by Walter to set up a WM match.

It’ll be Gunther getting tossed by Brock, then a Brock match where he no sells everything Gunther does and then he’ll F-5 all of imperium at the same time in less than 5 minutes and then he’ll wrestle Roman night 2

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

How many women have been announced for their Rumble?

7 thus far.

Liv Morgan, Rhea Ripley, Candice LeRae, Raquel Rodriguez, Shayna Baszler, Zelina Vega, & Emma.

I think Rhea is the obvious winner. Though I wouldn't mind Raquel, coming off her awesome Ronda match last month.  I'd like to see Candice at least get the longest lasting spot.

38 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I bet Charlotte wins

Running Charlotte vs, Bianca to unite the women’s titles wouldn’t be a bad idea.  They’ve never had to depth for two women’s divisions. I dunno thwt they hsve the depth to make one women’s division interesting right now,  I feel like there’s a big drop off once you get past the remnants of the Horsewomen, Asuka, and maybe Rhea.  And Asuka doesn’t seem to be in their plans anymore.

Charlotte has shown a few times that not winning the Royal Rumble doesn't really mean anything in terms of title shots at WM.   I know it happened once it probably happened many other times

I guess the main question about Cody winning the Rumble is if they don't pull the trigger on Sami Zayn at the Rumble and wait until Elimination Chamber to settle his fate will Cody get the Batista treatment.  Maybe if he is an early number and has to work a ton of time it would be different.  

If Rhea wins the Rumble, then I would assume it means that we aren't going to get some kind of Rhea vs Beth Phoenix match at WM.   Which would be pretty cool to see. 

Edited by hammerva

This may be a dumb question, but do they really need to have the same number of women in the Rumble as men, given the roster depth? Or has the precedent being set mean a portion of people will complain about it if they did 20 or 25? 

(Yes, people complain about everything, but ...)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, hammerva said:

If Rhea wins the Rumble, then I would assume it means that we aren't going to get some kind of Rhea vs Beth Phoenix match at WM.   Which would be pretty cool to see. 

Do Rhea/Phoenix at Elimination Chamber or whatever.  But it'd have to be Rhea destroying Phoenix in an uncompetitive match (which *should happen*) as part of her building her path to become champ in Los Angeles.  Seriously, a wrestler who's been retired for a decade should NOT have an even match with someone you want to be as the flagship of your roster.  (hi Edge!)

Rhea vs. Bianca is a good fresh match. But once she's done with that feud, doesn't really set her up for good future matches aside from Becky or a turned Bayley. 

Ripley vs. Charlotte is a great revenge match from her embarrassing loss in 2020. Eventually building to Ripley/Rousey at Summerslam (I'd have Rousey go over there, and have Ripley take her out for good at Mania in Philly.) The main problem there is, you'd have to probably break up Judgment Day. 

Short of them signing someone out of left field like, I dunno, Britt Baker, no one except Rhea should win on Saturday.  (Becky, Raquel, or Liv can win the EC for their title shot later.)

• Like 1