DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022-23 - WEEK 18

Dolfan in NYC

We should have an answer sometime this evening as the Competition Committee was meeting at 6 PM EST to vote on how to handle the AFC seeding

By the wording of all reports - whatever change that will happen will affect only the AFC (so no expanded playoffs)

23 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I am interested by some theories, which may have some grounds of truth since the NFL still hasn't announced anything, of having the AFC Conference Game at a neutral site since however they do it will impact the top seeding. I am not sure if I love the idea, as I think the best way to get some fans not to add a * to the season is to keep things as simple as possible. Bills/Bengals is a No Contest due to very understandable reasons, the rest of the chips just fall as they may.

I don't think making a one time decision to put a game at a neutral site making the entire season struggle trying to get that home field advantage moot is going to avoid adding *s to the season. The AFC side is going to have an * no matter what.

Asking who won the game is a GOAT moment. Such a football player thing to do. Some football players are just plain good ole football players. So many of them now are some things I’d rather not say but many of them could go to sleep for 100 years and wake up and ask who won the game just like we would if we fell asleep in the chair during a game we were watching. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

I know I am extremely biased and I do think Andre Johnson should be considered for HOF but no way Andre Johnson should be considered before Hines Ward.  

Johnson led the NFL in yards twice, topped 1500 yards three times, and had 2000+ more yards in 24 fewer games.  And he was at least in the conversation for "best receiver in the NFL". Ward never was. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, here's the resolution to the AFC issue.

The Bengals have been declared AFC North champions. If they are scheduled to play the Ravens on Wild Card Weekend (which could happen if the Ravens win on Sunday), the location will be determined by a coin toss.

That's why the Ravens/Bengals game is now in the 1 PM Eastern window on Sunday. . .it's not for the AFC North anymore.

This weekend's games:

• Buffalo wins, KC loses: Chiefs/Bills AFCCG takes place in Buffalo
  • KC wins, Buffalo loses: Chiefs/Bills AFCCG takes place in Kansas City
  • KC wins, Buffalo wins: AFCCG contested at neutral site

If the Bengals make the AFCCG, they'd face Kansas City at a neutral site and they'd face Buffalo in Buffalo because they've played one less game than the Chiefs and the same number of games as the Bills).

Any other AFCCG combination would be figured out by the normal seeding methods.

I think that basically covers everything.

Edited by Gonzo

I guess that's about as far as it gets under the circumstances if there was no option to play the game. Before people get in too much in a tizzy about the Ravens getting screwed, at least wait until after Sunday as I don't think they are winning anyway. And if they don't get Lamar back for the playoffs they probably aren't winning there either.

• Like 2

Indianapolis would pretty much be the slam dunk neutral ground between KC and Buffalo. But if they wanna play on a worse field, Chicago will be available.

As for neutral ground between KC and Cincinnati..... well.... that's a bit harder to figure out. The literal midpoint is in Southern Illinois an hour east of St. Louis.

Nashville is being rumored, which is much closer to Cincy than KC, and 100 miles closer to KC than Buffalo.

Honestly that is a pretty fair outcome. It includes some wiggle room for multiple possible scenarios, but also if those scenarios are not needed it doesn't really mess with anyone else.

The Ravens would still get a 50/50 chance for a home game if they win Sunday. Which they probably wont. But they still have the presumed possibility if they somehow pull it off. Neutral site AFCCG only applies to a couple scenarios, not everyone. Like if the AFCCG somehow ends up being say Charges and Jaguars or something, wouldn't be fair for that game to be a neutral site just because of Monday's tragedy.

Pretty good resolution to everything in my opinion.

I think its kinda interesting that the Bengals EVP is the only team exec (we know of) that is against the plan. While she claims it is due to changing rules not in the offseason, its more likely because with this plan the Bengals can't afford to just rest this weekend. Interested to see if any other teams are against it, I assume Roger Goodell did a quick unofficial vote tally before making it official.

14 hours ago, hammerva said:

I know I am extremely biased and I do think Andre Johnson should be considered for HOF but no way Andre Johnson should be considered before Hines Ward.  

Everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it’s remarkably ill informed and hilariously wrong

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Honestly that is a pretty fair outcome. It includes some wiggle room for multiple possible scenarios, but also if those scenarios are not needed it doesn't really mess with anyone else.

The Ravens would still get a 50/50 chance for a home game if they win Sunday. Which they probably wont. But they still have the presumed possibility if they somehow pull it off. Neutral site AFCCG only applies to a couple scenarios, not everyone. Like if the AFCCG somehow ends up being say Charges and Jaguars or something, wouldn't be fair for that game to be a neutral site just because of Monday's tragedy.

Pretty good resolution to everything in my opinion.

I agree and I think that it could be better than good. It could be great. They could have it at Canton, the Rose Bowl, somewhere historic and...well...just plain fun. 

Hines Ward trucking people was awesome. Imagine a WR getting called for roughing because that’s what would be happening if he played today. 

Just to clarify something

The NFL owners will be voting on the proposals so it is not approved yet. And each proposal appears to be independent of each other 

The Bengals are urging a "No" vote on the coin flip because the NFL Policy Manual already stated that if a game is cancelled, winning percentage is supposed to be used and they aren't thrilled with a rule change being presented with literally like 48 hours left in the season (there are other who are against the changes due to the precedent it sets but that is a different issue)

So yesterday Jadeveon Clowney gave an interview in which he said he wouldn't return to the Browns next year because he "needed to be around someone who believed in him"

Well today, the Browns told him to go fuck himself and sent him home from practice and his status for Sunday is now in doubt (most likely he won't be playing)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So yesterday Jadeveon Clowney gave an interview in which he said he wouldn't return to the Browns next year because he "needed to be around someone who believed in him"

Well today, the Browns told him to go fuck himself and sent him home from practice and his status for Sunday is now in doubt (most likely he won't be playing)

Lot easier for management to grow a spine when you’re out of the playoffs.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Joe Flacco will start for the Jets this week as Mike White is still hurt and Zach Wilson still sucks

Should be noted, that the line went from Jets -1 to Miami -2.5 in a matter of 6 hours yesterday because of this news. 

• Haha 2

They better have the game at Solider Field, playing in a dome is dumb and all three teams in this potential scenario play outside in crappy weather towns. Chicago is still pretty equally distanced from KC and Buffalo, plus it's easier to find flights for the fans who'd fly in.

4 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

They better have the game at Solider Field, playing in a dome is dumb and all three teams in this potential scenario play outside in crappy weather towns. Chicago is still pretty equally distanced from KC and Buffalo, plus it's easier to find flights for the fans who'd fly in.

Considering that there have already been multiple complaints this season about Solider Field's field conditions - there is no way the NFL would move a game there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Considering that there have been multiple complaints every season about Solider Field's field conditions - there is no way the NFL would move a game there.

The Bears fan me had to fix this for you. No one, not even the Bears, want to play in Soldier Field.

The only time someone would choose to play in Soldier Field is if the other option was the old green spray painted concrete shit from the 70s and 80s.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

Also bear in mind the Bears are angling for a new suburban stadium and as usual part of that process is insisting the current building is “inadequate” (and skimping on upkeep until it becomes so)

being exposed as one of the league’s worthy neutral site venues would undercut that thesis

• Like 1