DVDVR Message Board

WHAT ARE YOU READING?

RIPPA

For the Star Wars holidays, I've read the first two collections of Soule's Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith. Excellent storytelling, and the art mostly doesn't annoy me. They let Vader be the overpowered asshole he always was several times, which is fun.

• Like 2

My kids and I are trying to get into comics so since it was free comic book day today, took the kids over to the comic shop two blocks down from me. First time I’d been in there and it was a cool little tucked away place. I bought the kids a comic or two each and I got myself some comics too. Free ones we got were mostly kid friendly things.

• Like 1

I am four years late to the Simon Stålenhag, but better late than not at all.   B&N says my copy of The Labyrinth will available for pick up tomorrow afternoon.

9781534320697_p0_v1_s600x595.jpg%5D&scal

I recently started Tokyo Ueno Station by Yu Miri and am really enjoying it so far. Really interesting use of mixing national history with one character's personal history and how events intertwine. 

• Like 1

I finished Matt Fraction's Hawkeye. It wasn't really a series I loved as I was reading it issue by issue, but it all came together in the end, and I thought the ending was cool. I can understand why it was well-received as the storytelling is completely different from a typical Marvel book, and Aja's art is stylish and chic. I really liked the character of Kate Bishop. I'm not sure if other writers can write her the way Fraction does, but she was the most memorable thing about the series, to me, and had the best lines. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

I finished Matt Fraction's Hawkeye. It wasn't really a series I loved as I was reading it issue by issue, but it all came together in the end, and I thought the ending was cool. I can understand why it was well-received as the storytelling is completely different from a typical Marvel book, and Aja's art is stylish and chic. I really liked the character of Kate Bishop. I'm not sure if other writers can write her the way Fraction does, but she was the most memorable thing about the series, to me, and had the best lines. 

You should probably do Gillen's Young Avengers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Reading vol 4 of the New Mutants, which includes the 40th anniversary issue, which has the most awful art, ye gods.

And the artists STILL can't decide how de Costa should look.

Arguably awful art for the New Mutants anniversary is fitting, given Rob’s tenure on the book. (And dumb 14 year old me would have said Bill S.)

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2023 at 10:48 AM, odessasteps said:

Arguably awful art for the New Mutants anniversary is fitting, given Rob’s tenure on the book. (And dumb 14 year old me would have said Bill S.)

the thing with Bill's art is that it is SO stylized and SUCH a departure from everything else, that it absolutely takes time to begin to appreciate it. i think it almost forces an off-putting reaction on initial view. i certainly had that when i read New Mutants a few years back. 

On 5/13/2023 at 11:44 AM, JLSigman said:

Reading vol 4 of the New Mutants, which includes the 40th anniversary issue, which has the most awful art, ye gods.

And the artists STILL can't decide how de Costa should look.

I finally finished it, but man the art really made it hard to enjoy at all.

On 5/21/2023 at 7:46 AM, JLSigman said:

Skyward vol 1, by Joe Henderson, was a free borrow on Hoopla. It's a neat premise, and I like it enough to want to read the rest of the series (it's 15 issues total).

Read the entire series while waiting for a doctor's appointment. It's definitely not bad, real cute, nice happy ending.

Masks vol 1 was also free on Hoopla, and this was a fun romp with a bunch of 30's and 40's era folks. It's absolutely an Alex Ross Production (if you've read his JLA stuff, you know what I mean), nailed the interactions, and was generally a gorgeous read.

Just finished Masters of Doom about the creation of Id software and the video games really good. Trying to get back into reading a book a week.

just started Kim Kelly’s fight like hell: the untold history of American labor

My reading has slowed down a little for two reasons - 1) My library has cut my borrows from Hoopla down to 4 a month, so I gotta space them out; and 2) I desperately need new glasses and that's several hundred dollars and time to go get them that I haven't had lately, so reading physical copies is nearly impossible.

Right now, I'm reading the third volume of Soule's "Dark Lord of the Sith" comics, dealing with stuff on Mon Cala. I may have to go re-watch some of the Clone Wars episodes about stuff there to see if there's any callbacks.

I finished Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise (and amazingly managed to do spoiler free.) Despite the fact that I hated a lot of the prose text and song lyrics, completely skipped the Molly and Poo stuff, disliked many of the plot turns, and even some of the characters, and wasn't 100% satisfied with the final issue, it was still a hell of a journey with two incredible central characters. There was one issue during the final stretch that was so amazingly well told that it had me in tears. Moore poured 14 years of his life into SIP, which is impressive given how so many creator owned series wind up abandoned and left to collect dust. Thanks for the ride, Terry!

• Like 1

I picked up a few things at the comic shop last weekend. Three issues of the Black Widow series from 2021 and two issues of the current Harley Quinn series. I really like the art in the Black Widow series. Going to a different comic shop next weekend so might look to see if I can fill in the gaps of the back issues.

My library's Hoopla FINALLY got a copy of "Wonder Woman: Historia" and oh my GODS I need to own this and I'm only 10 pages in. This art is insanely incredible. I'm zooming in to see the details. Just incredible.

On 6/9/2023 at 2:40 PM, JLSigman said:

My library's Hoopla FINALLY got a copy of "Wonder Woman: Historia" and oh my GODS I need to own this and I'm only 10 pages in. This art is insanely incredible. I'm zooming in to see the details. Just incredible.

Million billion stars. I'm going to keep this checked out on  my phone as long as possible, just to open it and look at random pages.

• Like 1